2019 rmz250 bogging

Right off idle it bogs. Tried new fuel. 93 octane. Have tried using different maps. Have also checked valve clearances. Bike starts good and runs great otherwise. On visual inspection the injectors appear to have nice wide mist spray pattern. Bike has 7 hours on it
|
Paw Paw
11/14/2020 8:10am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2020 8:12am
Idle may be set too low or the TPS may be set too lean as a lot of new bike are coming to use with it set too lean.

Paw Paw
11/14/2020 8:22am
Paw Paw wrote:
Idle may be set too low or the TPS may be set too lean as a lot of new bike are coming to use with it...
Idle may be set too low or the TPS may be set too lean as a lot of new bike are coming to use with it set too lean.

Paw Paw
Exact things i wondered about. Tried different idle speeds but no real difference. I wondered about TPS. Called the dealer and they said they doubted it was the problem but I wasn’t sold on that. From first glance setting it looks to be a bit of a process?
Paw Paw
11/14/2020 11:14am
It is not hard to set the TPS, but you will need the correct hook up.
You may want to check fuel filter.

Paw Paw
11/14/2020 3:16pm
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
I’ll check fuel filter. Hard to believe it could get occluded with so little run time.

The Shop

Paw Paw
11/14/2020 3:51pm
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
I’ll check fuel filter. Hard to believe it could get occluded with so little run time.
You would be freeked out to see what comes through the pump fuel lines at gas stations. If you don't prefilter the gas you put into the bikes fuel tank you may see this issue a lot.
Look up fuel sock for your fuel tank.

Paw Paw
12/30/2020 5:20am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2020 5:21am
Paw Paw wrote:
You would be freeked out to see what comes through the pump fuel lines at gas stations. If you don't prefilter the gas you put into...
You would be freeked out to see what comes through the pump fuel lines at gas stations. If you don't prefilter the gas you put into the bikes fuel tank you may see this issue a lot.

Paw Paw
Little update. I pulled fuel filer, looked like the new one, put the new one on anyways. Took throttle body off and removed injector and took for cleaning. Reinstalled everything. Still has the slightest bog. I asked the shop I bought the bike from and they said they would be "very surprised" if the TPS is off and the bike still running/starting well besides a slight bog off the bottom. I did notice that it seems to run very cool, as in I can let it idle in the garage with a box fan on it for upwards of 5-6 mins and the head still shows like the 160 degree F range. Is this normal? Could this give a lean type condition? I do notice that after it has warmed up for what seems like way too long then the problem is less, not gone gone, but less.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
12/31/2020 8:06am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 8:07am
Is the problem the same with all 3 maps?

While you are throwing parts at it change the plug.
12/31/2020 8:49am
Yup all 3 couplers do the same thing. I also did change the spark plug when I had the tank off for doing the fuel filter. I also refilled with fresh fuel and used electrical contact cleaner before I plugged everything back in.
mxb2
12/31/2020 8:54am
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
Paw Paw wrote:
You would be freeked out to see what comes through the pump fuel lines at gas stations. If you don't prefilter the gas you put into...

Paw Paw
Pump fuel sucks
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
12/31/2020 9:17am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 9:17am
Did it have the bog since new or did it show up at 7 hours?
12/31/2020 9:25am
wrc777 wrote:
Did it have the bog since new or did it show up at 7 hours?
So actually I put on a no toil screenless cage filter and then I guess I was really paying attention and noticed it. I put the stock back on and now I still notice it. I guess to be honest I do not think it was there from stock. When it’s cold it will start in like 3-5 kicks and idles great revs good but if I really try, I can make it stall. Once it’s warm, when I try I can’t get it to stall but it does stumble before it revs out. I did pick up a Mx-tuner 2.0 so maybe I can tune it out?
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
12/31/2020 9:33am
You mean the bike stalls when letting out the clutch or just in neutral? You may be able to tune it out but I wonder if it is the fuel. Pump fuel formulations get changed throughout the year. It could be it was fine on summer gas but it does not like winter gas as well. See if you can tune it out. If not get some gp t4 or Sunoco gt 260 and see if it helps. It made my crf250rx more responsive. You may need to richen it up for those fuels though since they are oxygenated. Pump fuel usually is too but maybe not as much in winter.
12/31/2020 10:02am
wrc777 wrote:
You mean the bike stalls when letting out the clutch or just in neutral? You may be able to tune it out but I wonder if...
You mean the bike stalls when letting out the clutch or just in neutral? You may be able to tune it out but I wonder if it is the fuel. Pump fuel formulations get changed throughout the year. It could be it was fine on summer gas but it does not like winter gas as well. See if you can tune it out. If not get some gp t4 or Sunoco gt 260 and see if it helps. It made my crf250rx more responsive. You may need to richen it up for those fuels though since they are oxygenated. Pump fuel usually is too but maybe not as much in winter.
In neutral on the stand. I have never had it stall while riding, only bog. have a dealer close that has 260gt. I’ll grab that and try it along with some tuning
3/15/2021 1:12pm
Little update if anyone else has anymore advice. Checked and double check TPS. Looks great. Changed fuel to Sunoco 260GT and have been filtering when putting into bike. Also hooked up a tachometer and set the throttle per the manual's recommendation. All three preprogrammed plug in maps have the same response. Have tried spraying carb cleaner around boots and such listening for rpm spike but nothing. Have hesitated to try and change with tuner. I am not very familiar with them and don't wanna mess anything up any further. Maybe someone has advice on how to tune it to get more fuel delivery off idle?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/15/2021 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2021 1:42pm
Little update if anyone else has anymore advice. Checked and double check TPS. Looks great. Changed fuel to Sunoco 260GT and have been filtering when putting...
Little update if anyone else has anymore advice. Checked and double check TPS. Looks great. Changed fuel to Sunoco 260GT and have been filtering when putting into bike. Also hooked up a tachometer and set the throttle per the manual's recommendation. All three preprogrammed plug in maps have the same response. Have tried spraying carb cleaner around boots and such listening for rpm spike but nothing. Have hesitated to try and change with tuner. I am not very familiar with them and don't wanna mess anything up any further. Maybe someone has advice on how to tune it to get more fuel delivery off idle?
Have you only tried the different couplers that come with the bike as far as tuning so far? If you do have the Mx Tuner 2.0 then load the "aggressive" map. It'll be richer and worth a shot. I'm running that right now and the response is good but not perfect.

Side note: on my KTM exc-f I could never get this remedied until I went to a Vortex with custom maps. I am considering the same on the RMZ but making sure it's worth it.
3/15/2021 7:26pm
seth505 wrote:
Have you only tried the different couplers that come with the bike as far as tuning so far? If you do have the Mx Tuner 2.0...
Have you only tried the different couplers that come with the bike as far as tuning so far? If you do have the Mx Tuner 2.0 then load the "aggressive" map. It'll be richer and worth a shot. I'm running that right now and the response is good but not perfect.

Side note: on my KTM exc-f I could never get this remedied until I went to a Vortex with custom maps. I am considering the same on the RMZ but making sure it's worth it.
So have you noticed a similar issue on your ‘21?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/15/2021 9:41pm
seth505 wrote:
Have you only tried the different couplers that come with the bike as far as tuning so far? If you do have the Mx Tuner 2.0...

So have you noticed a similar issue on your ‘21?
I can't say I have. I opened up the airbox and put the Yosh exhaust on right away though. I could get a slight bog if I tried to go wide open off idle with the stock or lean coupler though. It wasn't as bad as my KTM was, that would flame out sometimes under low RPM also and quit.
3/16/2021 5:00am
seth505 wrote:
I can't say I have. I opened up the airbox and put the Yosh exhaust on right away though. I could get a slight bog if...
I can't say I have. I opened up the airbox and put the Yosh exhaust on right away though. I could get a slight bog if I tried to go wide open off idle with the stock or lean coupler though. It wasn't as bad as my KTM was, that would flame out sometimes under low RPM also and quit.
I’ll try loading in the aggressive map on the Mx tuner and give it a shot. Thanks for the help.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/16/2021 9:06am
seth505 wrote:
I can't say I have. I opened up the airbox and put the Yosh exhaust on right away though. I could get a slight bog if...
I’ll try loading in the aggressive map on the Mx tuner and give it a shot. Thanks for the help.
Report back, curious to see how/if it changes for you. Good luck!

Post a reply to: 2019 rmz250 bogging

The Latest