2019 kx450 won’t idle / electric start button randomly goes dead

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2019 11:04 AM

2019 kx450 won’t idle / electric start button randomly goes dead

Bike will not idle but seems to run fine, I have to keep on the throttle just to keep it running when I am sitting, my idle screw is all the way out with no more to go

Also, not sure if this is connected to the above issue, but randomly the electric start button will just quit working, and then 3 min later works fine. The other day was riding and the bike started bogging, I shut it off and the electric start button wouldn’t work. 3 min later, fine.

The bike has about 80 hrs on it and has been well taken care of.

Has anyone had similar issues and maybe knows the fix?

Thanks

|

10/27/2019 11:50 AM

Idle problem sounds like it could be a problem with the tps sensor maybe? Check ALL of your electrical connections.
The battery issue sounds like the typical Kawasaki battery problem. When it overheats, it has an auto shutdown built in.
Check the ground cable to the frame and clean it. If that doesn't work, buy another battery.

|

10/27/2019 5:07 PM

mxrose3 wrote:

Idle problem sounds like it could be a problem with the tps sensor maybe? Check ALL of your electrical connections.
The battery issue sounds like the typical Kawasaki battery problem. When it overheats, it has an auto shutdown built in.
Check the ground cable to the frame and clean it. If that doesn't work, buy another battery.

If it was the tps senser would it run right? It’s like it runs just normal and out of no where starts acting up, the bike will idle once you’ve moto’d on it. So weird.

I will definitely try checking the electrical connections and cleaning ground surface. Thank you 🤘🏿

|

10/27/2019 6:01 PM

Check for a bad battery.

Paw Paw

|

10/28/2019 3:54 AM

Another vote for a battery issue

|

10/28/2019 8:00 AM

Do you use a pressure washer to clean your bike? If so, go over every single connector. Clean and seal with dielectric grease.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

10/28/2019 9:21 AM

A few frayed ground straps have popped up on the interwebs. Check it under your seat.

|

10/29/2019 7:04 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Check for a bad battery.

Paw Paw

If it’s battery is there a way to test that other than replacing it? Thank you

|

10/29/2019 7:04 PM

captmoto wrote:

Do you use a pressure washer to clean your bike? If so, go over every single connector. Clean and seal with dielectric grease.

Yes I do use pressure washer have checked the connections but haven’t put the grease I will
Do that

|

10/29/2019 7:05 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

A few frayed ground straps have popped up on the interwebs. Check it under your seat.

What does that mean, just the ground cable? It appears to be okay, where would it be frayed at? Just want to make sure I understand. Thank you

|

10/29/2019 7:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2019 7:14 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Check for a bad battery.

Paw Paw

gobig.com wrote:

If it’s battery is there a way to test that other than replacing it? Thank you

Yes, run a load test on the battery. If there is a bad cell or loose plate in it, it should drop power under load. These batteries are known to go bad very quickly.
Also be sure to check your ground cable mounts for dirt or rust or corrosion.

Paw Paw

|

10/31/2019 7:35 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

A few frayed ground straps have popped up on the interwebs. Check it under your seat.

gobig.com wrote:

What does that mean, just the ground cable? It appears to be okay, where would it be frayed at? Just want to make sure I understand. Thank you

Yeah ground cable/strap same thing. Make sure none of the cable is broken and sticking every which way which would cause an intermittent ground and weird symptoms.

Photo

|

1/26/2020 12:33 PM

I am having the same issue, has anyone found a fix for this yet ? Thanks in advance, I changed battery, new ground wires and checked all connections!

|