2019 KX450 Fork Oil - $60 per qt!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2018 12:51 PM

 My fork seal is leaking on my 19 KX450, and I just checked my owners manual to see if it was 2.5 or 5wt oil. The only thing the manual says is "Suspension Oil A15-00 Part Number 44091-0023".  I couldn't find it online, and it doesn't appear to be the normal Kawi SS-19 5-wt oil. 

The dealer looked it up and it says that oil is listed only for 2019 KX450 and is $57/qt!  

I gave pro circuit a call to see if they knew what weight oil it was and they weren't sure, but said Showa put a ton of additives in special for this fork for the coatings and to reduce friction.  Anyone know what this stuff is?  

I like the feel of my fork as is so I don't want cheap out throw some random 5-wt in and not be happy with the fork action... But I'm not trying to spend almost $200 to put new seals in my bike...

|

10/15/2018 1:34 PM

Relax dude. Any 5wt, 10wt etc will work. You dont need kawasaki oil. Maxima will work just fine. Ill bet you pro circuit uses maxima fork oil in all their customers forks. Its fine.

|

10/15/2018 2:41 PM

kb228 wrote:

Relax dude. Any 5wt, 10wt etc will work. You dont need kawasaki oil. Maxima will work just fine. Ill bet you pro circuit uses maxima fork oil in all their customers forks. Its fine.

X2.......Maxima(blue label) fork oil is great stuff and will be every bit as good as expensive OEM oil. Many suspension companies use Maxima, its good stuff. Additionally, Golden Spectro cartridge oil is great stuff and is the EXACT same stuff Race Tech uses just relabeled.

|

10/15/2018 3:19 PM

order the pro Honda. its ss19 as well. really good stuff and cheaper

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 3:33 PM

Are these magic grits? Lol. Any motorcycle rated fork fluid is fine. 0 to 5wt.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

10/15/2018 4:00 PM

I guess I should have been more clear... I know I don't need to use Kawasaki oil, i would like to find an alternative. But I would like to know what weight this new oil is so I can match it. It is different than SS-19, and I don't want to randomly select an oil between 0-10 weight.

Out of curiosity I wanted to know if anyone knew what was different about the new oil. Pro Circuit was pretty candid and said Showa went all out on that oil. They also said it wasn't a 5W, but wasn't sure what it was.

|

10/15/2018 4:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 4:04 PM

Jbulz wrote:

I guess I should have been more clear... I know I don't need to use Kawasaki oil, i would like to find an alternative. But I would like to know what weight this new oil is so I can match it. It is different than SS-19, and I don't want to randomly select an oil between 0-10 weight.

Out of curiosity I wanted to know if anyone knew what was different about the new oil. Pro Circuit was pretty candid and said Showa went all out on that oil. They also said it wasn't a 5W, but wasn't sure what it was.

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 4:04 PM

If it’s green/aqua it’s ss19 if it’s red then it’s ss05 showa.

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 4:11 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

If it’s green/aqua it’s ss19 if it’s red then it’s ss05 showa.

I don't think it is. SS-19 was was what the SSF-TAC forks used - I have the pro Honda stuff on the shelf and have used it before. Kawi also sells it as SS-19, this is something different.

|

10/15/2018 4:12 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

If it’s green/aqua it’s ss19 if it’s red then it’s ss05 showa.

Jbulz wrote:

I don't think it is. SS-19 was was what the SSF-TAC forks used - I have the pro Honda stuff on the shelf and have used it before. Kawi also sells it as SS-19, this is something different.

The new rmz/crf use ss-19 I highly doubt it’s the stuff we are running in the works showas, it may possibly be ss-05

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 4:21 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

The new rmz/crf use ss-19 I highly doubt it’s the stuff we are running in the works showas, it may possibly be ss-05

stuff run in the works showas????.........Tell us more......

|

10/15/2018 4:22 PM

Jbulz wrote:

I don't think it is. SS-19 was was what the SSF-TAC forks used - I have the pro Honda stuff on the shelf and have used it before. Kawi also sells it as SS-19, this is something different.

jaredkeller96 wrote:

The new rmz/crf use ss-19 I highly doubt it’s the stuff we are running in the works showas, it may possibly be ss-05

colvin227 wrote:

stuff run in the works showas????.........Tell us more......

It’s oil.

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 4:25 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

The new rmz/crf use ss-19 I highly doubt it’s the stuff we are running in the works showas, it may possibly be ss-05

colvin227 wrote:

stuff run in the works showas????.........Tell us more......

jaredkeller96 wrote:

It’s oil.

Rotella T. It's good stuff

|

10/15/2018 4:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 4:29 PM

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 4:30 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Just redo your forks with ss19 or ss05 they are both really good Photo

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/15/2018 4:32 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

If it’s green/aqua it’s ss19 if it’s red then it’s ss05 showa.

So I just checked the bottle of Pro Honda SS-19 that I have, and it's clear with no color. When I first bought the bike I put springs in and reused the original oil... Snapped a pic and luckily got my ratio rite in the picture.

So that's SS-05? Photo

|

10/15/2018 4:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 4:41 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Just redo your forks with ss19 or ss05 they are both really good Photo

Good find, SS-05 it is. That answers that question. Thanks man.

|

10/15/2018 6:30 PM

Does anyone know how much to put in , the manual said only 310 cc which was way low on the range . How much are most guys running .

|

10/15/2018 6:44 PM

MX558 wrote:

Does anyone know how much to put in , the manual said only 310 cc which was way low on the range . How much are most guys running .

I added 5 CC's after a few rides and liked it. I was able to open the compression clickers up a bit and keep it plush

|

10/15/2018 7:01 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

The new rmz/crf use ss-19 I highly doubt it’s the stuff we are running in the works showas, it may possibly be ss-05

colvin227 wrote:

stuff run in the works showas????.........Tell us more......

jaredkeller96 wrote:

It’s oil.

Oh ok cool story...thanks. I asked cause you said “I highly doubt it’s the stuff “we” are running in the works showas”. I thought maybe you had works Showa forks or are in the know about what goes In them and was curious...? Oh well

|

10/15/2018 10:32 PM

MX558 wrote:

Does anyone know how much to put in , the manual said only 310 cc which was way low on the range . How much are most guys running .

I have heard guys running 370cc. Still have about 25cc or so to go till maximum. I was a bit shocked when I saw it was down at 310 stock

|

10/16/2018 6:43 AM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Just redo your forks with ss19 or ss05 they are both really good Photo

So I can't find SS-05 anywhere in the US. Which Pro Honda oil is the same, HP-Fork Oil 5W?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1065/11715/Pro-Honda-HP-Fork-Oil

|

10/16/2018 6:46 AM

I think he found his answer with the photo of the SS05, but what does Honda/Suzuki call for in their fork? Aren't they the same basic Showa fork?

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

10/16/2018 6:48 AM

mx317 wrote:

I think he found his answer with the photo of the SS05, but what does Honda/Suzuki call for in their fork? Aren't they the same basic Showa fork?

They call for ss-19, buy some and do both forks, shouldn’t be more than 100$

|

IG @jaredkeller96

10/16/2018 6:53 AM

colvin227 wrote:

stuff run in the works showas????.........Tell us more......

jaredkeller96 wrote:

It’s oil.

colvin227 wrote:

Oh ok cool story...thanks. I asked cause you said “I highly doubt it’s the stuff “we” are running in the works showas”. I thought maybe you had works Showa forks or are in the know about what goes In them and was curious...? Oh well

Pretty sure said guy does the JGR team suspension work, so I dont blame him one bit for not disclosing setup secrets for factory works parts. JGR does some trick stuff.

|

10/16/2018 7:08 AM

mx317 wrote:

I think he found his answer with the photo of the SS05, but what does Honda/Suzuki call for in their fork? Aren't they the same basic Showa fork?

jaredkeller96 wrote:

They call for ss-19, buy some and do both forks, shouldn’t be more than 100$

It was recommended to me to use the SS-19 in my WP Cone Valve forks also. That's what I have been using in them since.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

10/16/2018 7:40 AM

If it helps the SS05 cSt was 3.6 at 40C and 15.9 at 100C. Closest was the Maxima Racing Fork Fluid 85/150 at 3.51 at 40C and an identical 15.9 at 100C.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

10/16/2018 8:05 AM

mx317 wrote:

I think he found his answer with the photo of the SS05, but what does Honda/Suzuki call for in their fork? Aren't they the same basic Showa fork?

jaredkeller96 wrote:

They call for ss-19, buy some and do both forks, shouldn’t be more than 100$

So the oil is not SS-05. Looks like A15-00 is its own animal

Photo

|

10/16/2018 9:46 AM

Astroglide. Lowest stiction out there.

|

10/16/2018 2:11 PM

omalley wrote:

Astroglide. Lowest stiction out there.

Showa makes that too
Photo

|