2019 KTM 450 SXF Bogging

Jdon
Fantasy
2698th
9/10/2018 7:38am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 11:05pm
Hey guys, if I crack the throttle from idle on my new 450sxf it seems to have a severe bog (to the point where the bike will stop running). I was able to ride all day, I just had to be smooth on the gas instead of very aggressive. I’ve read some people have done air box mods, so I tried to let it run without the side cover on for a little while to see if it would clear up and it was the same. Should I try a 2 stroke filter cage as well?

Also do you know if anyone makes a skid plate for this bike yet? Not sure if the frame has changed that drastically from the 18.

Thanks
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/10/2018 8:17am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 8:17am
I’m sure this is the same problem as many other threads asking the same question.

Seems like the answer is TPS adjustment(might be able to cure this with idle adjustment), Ecu remap(Twisted Development), 2 stroke filter cage and remove screen in exhaust.

I’ve also been hearing people need to keep an eye on the fuel pumps.

P3 Carbon has a good skid plate or Acerbis.
Lynch
9/10/2018 10:13am
My old KTM's fuel pump had a bent part (kink) that made it bog like you describe, when getting on the gas hard (landing after jumps for example) it would bog for a sec or two.
CSAR FE
9/10/2018 11:35am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 11:36am
Change the in line filter and try it out. My FX did the exact same thing within the first hour until I changed it. Some small particulate from manufacturing may have clogged up the filter. It doesn’t take much.

The Shop

kb228
9/10/2018 11:56am
Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.
mxb2
9/10/2018 12:02pm
kb228 wrote:
Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would...
Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.
If its a known problem, why doesnt ktm resolve it from the factory?
kb228
9/10/2018 12:07pm
kb228 wrote:
Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would...
mxb2 wrote:
If its a known problem, why doesnt ktm resolve it from the factory?
I wonder the same thing about many other companies too.
Digger29
9/10/2018 2:23pm
It's definitely the TPS. Adjust it from where it is to at least .60 and it will clean up all of the right off of the bottom stumbling or hesitation.
Jdon
Fantasy
2698th
9/10/2018 2:59pm
Thanks for your help! I found the thread that covered all of this already (sorry i thought i looked hard enough). After reading everything in that thread I might just bring my whole bike down to Motolab, have him remap my ECU and have him set the TPS while Im there.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/2019-2018-5-ktm-a…
CSAR FE
9/10/2018 4:03pm
kb228 wrote:
Unlikely? I literally just said it happened to me on a bike with less than an hour on it. Clogged or partially clogged filter equals not getting enough gas. The surface area of the inline filter is incredibly small. It doesn’t take much to cause this issue.
Digger29
9/10/2018 4:31pm
Jdon wrote:
Thanks for your help! I found the thread that covered all of this already (sorry i thought i looked hard enough). After reading everything in that...
Thanks for your help! I found the thread that covered all of this already (sorry i thought i looked hard enough). After reading everything in that thread I might just bring my whole bike down to Motolab, have him remap my ECU and have him set the TPS while Im there.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/2019-2018-5-ktm-a…
You should definitely do that. Worth every penny and without a doubt the best bang for the buck performance wise. Please tell Tom that I sent you.
Jdon
Fantasy
2698th
9/10/2018 5:29pm
Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second!

Digger29, I definitely will! Also I read your post about the Hp gains, all 3 different mappings you tried motolab, twisted, and vortex. However, I'm more interested in how the power delivery is with the new mapping. That's a big reason why i bought the ktm, because I can rev it to the moon and how smooth and easy it is to ride. With the new motolab mapping will it be basically the same power delivery, just cleaned up?
blaze 57
9/10/2018 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 7:54pm
On my 18' 450 factory edition my TPS was only .49 (factory setting). Bumped to .61.

I also pre-filter all my fuel before it goes in the tank with a water-separater/filter combo. Some guys run those filter socks too but fuel from the gas stations needs to be filtered somehow before it gets to your fuel line. Gas station fuel is filthy.
kb228
9/11/2018 3:36am
kb228 wrote:
CSAR FE wrote:
Unlikely? I literally just said it happened to me on a bike with less than an hour on it. Clogged or partially clogged filter equals not...
Unlikely? I literally just said it happened to me on a bike with less than an hour on it. Clogged or partially clogged filter equals not getting enough gas. The surface area of the inline filter is incredibly small. It doesn’t take much to cause this issue.
Cool man. I said unlikely. Not impossible. Glad you figured it out.
Digger29
9/11/2018 9:26am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 9:27am
Jdon wrote:
Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second! Digger29, I definitely...
Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second!

Digger29, I definitely will! Also I read your post about the Hp gains, all 3 different mappings you tried motolab, twisted, and vortex. However, I'm more interested in how the power delivery is with the new mapping. That's a big reason why i bought the ktm, because I can rev it to the moon and how smooth and easy it is to ride. With the new motolab mapping will it be basically the same power delivery, just cleaned up?
It will be exactly what you're looking for. I've got over 2hp everywhere throughout the range and he cleaned up 2 very leans spots and it revs 800 rpms further which just adds more flexibility to already great and very easy to ride motor.
9/11/2018 11:31am
Jdon wrote:
Hey guys, if I crack the throttle from idle on my new 450sxf it seems to have a severe bog (to the point where the bike...
Hey guys, if I crack the throttle from idle on my new 450sxf it seems to have a severe bog (to the point where the bike will stop running). I was able to ride all day, I just had to be smooth on the gas instead of very aggressive. I’ve read some people have done air box mods, so I tried to let it run without the side cover on for a little while to see if it would clear up and it was the same. Should I try a 2 stroke filter cage as well?

Also do you know if anyone makes a skid plate for this bike yet? Not sure if the frame has changed that drastically from the 18.

Thanks
Has it done this since new? If it has I would say tps. If not the little inline fuel filter is a good place to start
9/12/2018 12:08am
I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate.

I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best one I have ever had. The fit is perfect and also has some rubber that goes along the frame to stop it vibrating the paint off.

It’s pricey but well worth the money. It’s a carbon mixture but it’s absolutely rock solid.

I’m so glad ktm but mounting brackets on these frames for the skid plates
9/12/2018 12:13am
I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate. I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best...

I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best one I have ever had. The fit is perfect and also has some rubber that goes along the frame to stop it vibrating the paint off.

It’s pricey but well worth the money. It’s a carbon mixture but it’s absolutely rock solid.

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a funny colour in the ktm official pictures.
9/12/2018 2:47pm
I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate. I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best...

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a...
I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a funny colour in the ktm official pictures.

9/13/2018 3:56am

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a...
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/12/286921/s1200_7AE41D55_D695_4794_9A66_2013E65CD6FC.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/12/286920/s1200_B28EDF82_F0B7_4F19_9D7B_14942339F900.jpg[/img]

The fit looks does prefect but the material does look funny though as I though. Looks like the guard is full of scratches...should really be a better finish for £160
9/13/2018 4:07am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/12/286921/s1200_7AE41D55_D695_4794_9A66_2013E65CD6FC.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/12/286920/s1200_B28EDF82_F0B7_4F19_9D7B_14942339F900.jpg[/img]

The fit looks does prefect but the material does look funny though as I though. Looks like the guard is full of scratches...should really be a...
The fit looks does prefect but the material does look funny though as I though. Looks like the guard is full of scratches...should really be a better finish for £160
It’s a perfectly smooth surface and looks worse in photos to be honest. It’s certainly built to last tho.

It’s expensive but I’m glad I got it.
will ktm
3/8/2019 4:48pm
Can I use an ecu of 2019 ktm 450 sxf in a 2018 factory edition?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/8/2019 11:22pm
will ktm wrote:
Can I use an ecu of 2019 ktm 450 sxf in a 2018 factory edition?
I don’t see why not. Is there a reason you’re looking to do it?
Millerrr973
3/9/2019 8:15am
My factory edition came with the power parts skid plate, buttttt I would’ve went with P3 if it hadn’t.
will ktm
3/9/2019 9:24am
I know it's the same engine but I also saw that that computer was remapped different from Factory 2018 I do not know if it's better or worse
mx317
3/9/2019 10:38am
will ktm wrote:
I know it's the same engine but I also saw that that computer was remapped different from Factory 2018 I do not know if it's better...
I know it's the same engine but I also saw that that computer was remapped different from Factory 2018 I do not know if it's better or worse
If you are going to buy one, get a Vortex from Twisted Development. Another option would have them remap yours.
4/26/2019 11:04pm
Jdon wrote:
Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second! Digger29, I definitely...

Did you manage to get this issue resolved? My 19 sxf 250 is doing the same. Its only got 5 hours on it but it's done it since new. I have adjust the tps up to 0.58 which did help a little. I fitted a GET ECU hoping it would solve the problem but the flameout are loads worse than with the std ECU.
11/4/2019 10:47pm
dannyboy did you ever get your issues resolved???
After setting up the get ecu correctly the flameout are not as bad. Out on the track the bike never has any issues with flameouts and runs sweet.
11/5/2019 3:01pm
what did you do to the get ecu to set it up correctly? I have a get on a 19 350sxf and I am getting a bog off idle and also decel pops.

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 450 SXF Bogging

The Latest