2019 KTM 150sx questions

Related:
Create New Tag

4/17/2020 10:44 AM

I just purchased a 2019 KTM 150sx with 5 hrs on it. The bike looks brand new and has a Pro Circuit Works pipe and carbon/TI silencer.

I dont know squat about these air forks so wondering if someone can help me get the settings and pressure close to what I will need? I'm right at 200 lbs and a Vet B rider. Strictly ride moto. Also, what is the rear spring rated for? Pretty sure I'll need to replace that. Any suggestions?

Also, any other must do mods on this bike to get the most out of it?

|

4/17/2020 11:17 AM

250sx
I run 145 in the forks and a 4.5 4.6 spring in the back
Check your static Sag and Rider sag but I’m sure the stock spring is for someone in the 150 range
Static should be between 30 and 45 when you have a rider SAG of about 105

|

4/17/2020 11:45 AM

A 200lb guy on a 150 that rear spring is going to be to light for you and will make you hate the forks because of the feel. It will be a bit different as I'm on a 250sx, but I was running 155psi in the forks and a 45 spring out back. I'm 170lbs on the fast B mid A type of rider.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

4/17/2020 12:55 PM

Not sure if you got one with the bike but heres a link to the PDF owners manual, has plenty of habdy info in it and even better you can have it on your phone to search while youre working away at the bike.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ktmshop.se/documents/19_3213847_en_OM.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjJ-ufPnvDoAhX1QEEAHRvzCRoQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw0YqZYzjBS9s_Oc0rthYr0Z

Enjoy the bike!

|

4/17/2020 2:48 PM

I'm 195lb b rider and run a 42nm rear spring and 127psi in the forks on my 19 150sx, the rear shock isn't perfect but works ok stock. I think the stock forks actually work decent, I've been mulling over getting it revalved but I really don't have problem with the way it works stock valving.

|

4/17/2020 8:43 PM

I'm A 200 lb. Vet A rider and we have a 2020 150sx that is setup with a 45 rear spring but run the forks at 108 psi. I can only get the KYB feel out of the forks by running a super low air setting. Comp. is 9 clicks out reb. is 12 clicks out. Even at 108 psi the forks don't bottom out. Jetting is stock (one clip leaner on the needle) air screw 1 1/2 turns out. Stock pipe with pro circuit shorty silencer. Power valve adjuster is 2 1/2 turns in using the stock yellow spring. This is one great bike, I can turn the same lap times on this as the 2019 Yamaha 250f but the 150 is a lot more fun.

|

4/17/2020 9:09 PM

I'd go 48 spring at 200lbs

|

4/19/2020 8:56 AM

Thanks for the replies! Suggestions are all over the place. Race Tech site was really helpfull too. It suggested a 4.6 spring and running 155 in the forks. The owners manual also has clicker setting recommendations. At least I have a starting point. Thanks again.

|

4/21/2020 1:42 PM

How are ya'll running the power valve adjustment screw, and also which spring are ya'll running?

|

4/21/2020 7:20 PM

45ACP wrote:

How are ya'll running the power valve adjustment screw, and also which spring are ya'll running?

Stock spring 1 3/4 turns in from all the way out.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

4/21/2020 9:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2020 10:20 PM

Don't be afraid to lower the pressure in the fork. When i had my 2016 and 2017 SXF450 i had about 10bar in the fork (even lower than that on hard pack tracks), that was the only way i could find front end grip.

I would imagine that the 150 will benefit of even lower pressure than that.

|

4/22/2020 6:09 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Any other riders with experience on this bike, please post up. I'm coming off a 450 for the past 10 years so this bike is a big adjustment to say the least.

|

4/28/2020 12:34 PM

Rode with the stock PV spring and 2 turns in from all the way out. Felt much better than the previous setting, which was something like 5 turns in. The power is so narrow in the RPM range however. Seems like you damn near have to shift as soon as it gets on the pipe. I've seen quite a bit online that people are running the FMF on this bike. Anyone think maybe a different pipe would make the power more broad, or spread out through the RPM range? Or is this just how this bike is? Saw another rider at the track and he said he had an '18 and it was the same way.

I was running 150psi in the forks and they were too stiff. Front end was pushing in the corners. I forgot the air pump so just left it how it was but I will lower the pressure until it feels right. The shock with heavier rear spring felt good.

|

4/29/2020 9:28 AM

45ACP wrote:

Rode with the stock PV spring and 2 turns in from all the way out. Felt much better than the previous setting, which was something like 5 turns in. The power is so narrow in the RPM range however. Seems like you damn near have to shift as soon as it gets on the pipe. I've seen quite a bit online that people are running the FMF on this bike. Anyone think maybe a different pipe would make the power more broad, or spread out through the RPM range? Or is this just how this bike is? Saw another rider at the track and he said he had an '18 and it was the same way.

I was running 150psi in the forks and they were too stiff. Front end was pushing in the corners. I forgot the air pump so just left it how it was but I will lower the pressure until it feels right. The shock with heavier rear spring felt good.

Buy a 38mm Keihin Air Stryker carb and throw a STIC metering block in it & prepare to be amazed. Basically becomes a "two-stroke 4-stroke". It is the one md that will make a real difference in power & delivery. If you lived in NW I would let you test the extra one we have. ..........

|

4/29/2020 11:36 AM

I run an FMF pipe and 2.1 silencer on my 19 150. I like it a lot. Found that the FMF pipe added a (slightly) broader power all around than the stock pipe. I threw my Mikuni away and got a HV Lectron w/ V4 reed block. I'll never take it off. That gave the bike more grunt down low and it screams. Put a 49 tooth on the rear so I can carry 3rd in corners more and just slightly feather the clutch to get it into the meat. I usually run between 120-126 psi in the forks and seems to work well. I'm 175-180lbs. Great bike. Big learning curve though if you're coming from a 450! Gotta keep the bike in the revs and tap dance with the shifter. If you get the hang of it, hold on. If not, it can be frustrating and scary.

Photo

|

5/4/2020 1:25 PM

IanMac138 wrote:

I run an FMF pipe and 2.1 silencer on my 19 150. I like it a lot. Found that the FMF pipe added a (slightly) broader power all around than the stock pipe. I threw my Mikuni away and got a HV Lectron w/ V4 reed block. I'll never take it off. That gave the bike more grunt down low and it screams. Put a 49 tooth on the rear so I can carry 3rd in corners more and just slightly feather the clutch to get it into the meat. I usually run between 120-126 psi in the forks and seems to work well. I'm 175-180lbs. Great bike. Big learning curve though if you're coming from a 450! Gotta keep the bike in the revs and tap dance with the shifter. If you get the hang of it, hold on. If not, it can be frustrating and scary.

Photo

can you explain me the difference from 125? i have a 18 125 i want buy a 21 150 but don't know if 150 is great for a vet like me

|

5/5/2020 11:09 AM

IanMac138 wrote:

I run an FMF pipe and 2.1 silencer on my 19 150. I like it a lot. Found that the FMF pipe added a (slightly) broader power all around than the stock pipe. I threw my Mikuni away and got a HV Lectron w/ V4 reed block. I'll never take it off. That gave the bike more grunt down low and it screams. Put a 49 tooth on the rear so I can carry 3rd in corners more and just slightly feather the clutch to get it into the meat. I usually run between 120-126 psi in the forks and seems to work well. I'm 175-180lbs. Great bike. Big learning curve though if you're coming from a 450! Gotta keep the bike in the revs and tap dance with the shifter. If you get the hang of it, hold on. If not, it can be frustrating and scary.

Photo

I would love to compare Lectron vs the STIC's we run back to back in real life. We have an outdoor SX style track in SW WA if you ever want to come do a test day...............

|

5/5/2020 2:46 PM

IanMac138 wrote:

I run an FMF pipe and 2.1 silencer on my 19 150. I like it a lot. Found that the FMF pipe added a (slightly) broader power all around than the stock pipe. I threw my Mikuni away and got a HV Lectron w/ V4 reed block. I'll never take it off. That gave the bike more grunt down low and it screams. Put a 49 tooth on the rear so I can carry 3rd in corners more and just slightly feather the clutch to get it into the meat. I usually run between 120-126 psi in the forks and seems to work well. I'm 175-180lbs. Great bike. Big learning curve though if you're coming from a 450! Gotta keep the bike in the revs and tap dance with the shifter. If you get the hang of it, hold on. If not, it can be frustrating and scary.

Photo

Tracktor wrote:

I would love to compare Lectron vs the STIC's we run back to back in real life. We have an outdoor SX style track in SW WA if you ever want to come do a test day...............

I already did! 👍

|

5/21/2020 10:26 PM

IanMac138 wrote:

I run an FMF pipe and 2.1 silencer on my 19 150. I like it a lot. Found that the FMF pipe added a (slightly) broader power all around than the stock pipe. I threw my Mikuni away and got a HV Lectron w/ V4 reed block. I'll never take it off. That gave the bike more grunt down low and it screams. Put a 49 tooth on the rear so I can carry 3rd in corners more and just slightly feather the clutch to get it into the meat. I usually run between 120-126 psi in the forks and seems to work well. I'm 175-180lbs. Great bike. Big learning curve though if you're coming from a 450! Gotta keep the bike in the revs and tap dance with the shifter. If you get the hang of it, hold on. If not, it can be frustrating and scary.

Photo

mg311 wrote:

can you explain me the difference from 125? i have a 18 125 i want buy a 21 150 but don't know if 150 is great for a vet like me

The 150 has more torque, and low end grunt. However, it doesn't rev as far or long as a 125. The 150 is a rocket ship if you keep it in the meat of the power, and by meat I mean a very thin slice of within gears. If you wait to long or shift a second too short, you'll lose the power that makes the bike a beast. Hence me saying that you have to tap dance shifting. You cannot be lazy on a 125, but especially on the 150. If you get the hang of it, it's more fun than a 125 and can get you out of situations that a 125 would suffer from, and it can also get you over almost every big jump on any track if you're riding it correctly. I particularly like that I can somewhat lug it into a tight corner and simply feather the clutch to get the afterburners to kick in...and man, do they kick in. If you aren't ready for it, it can be terrifying especially coming up to the face of a jump out of a corner. The powerband on the 150 is like a light switch. Turn it on and watch the bright lights hit you instantly...turn it off and you're wondering how to find your way around.

|

5/27/2020 8:18 AM

I have a 19 150sx and I have been playing around with the forks to find a setting I like and haven't had any success so I will try some of the suggestions above. I have a 19 yz125 and love the forks on that bike! The biggest part that bothers me on the 150 is when hitting breaking bumps or small chops. It feels so harsh on the bike. I have been adjusting the fork air pressure from 118-124 so far. I am an intermediate vet rider that weighs 185lb and I'm 5'8". One other thing I have noticed on it is the vibration in the bars and pegs seem to be quite a bit more than my yz125. Anyone have this same issue or know of any solutions? The bike feels like a rocket ship compared to the yz (The yz has head and cylinder work) both have fmf fattys and fmf shorty silencers.

|

5/27/2020 9:06 AM

aj_381 wrote:

I have a 19 150sx and I have been playing around with the forks to find a setting I like and haven't had any success so I will try some of the suggestions above. I have a 19 yz125 and love the forks on that bike! The biggest part that bothers me on the 150 is when hitting breaking bumps or small chops. It feels so harsh on the bike. I have been adjusting the fork air pressure from 118-124 so far. I am an intermediate vet rider that weighs 185lb and I'm 5'8". One other thing I have noticed on it is the vibration in the bars and pegs seem to be quite a bit more than my yz125. Anyone have this same issue or know of any solutions? The bike feels like a rocket ship compared to the yz (The yz has head and cylinder work) both have fmf fattys and fmf shorty silencers.

We have a 2019 SX 150 and had the same issue's with the forks getting it set up for my son. Leave the air pressure up around 120 psi. Drop the oil height in each fork to 160 ml. Back the comp clicker all the way out. That was a huge improvement. From there we added 1 or 2 clicks of rebound and they are decent.
For vibration we run the PHDS clamps with the soft green elastomers and helps considerably.

|

5/27/2020 12:30 PM

aj_381 wrote:

I have a 19 150sx and I have been playing around with the forks to find a setting I like and haven't had any success so I will try some of the suggestions above. I have a 19 yz125 and love the forks on that bike! The biggest part that bothers me on the 150 is when hitting breaking bumps or small chops. It feels so harsh on the bike. I have been adjusting the fork air pressure from 118-124 so far. I am an intermediate vet rider that weighs 185lb and I'm 5'8". One other thing I have noticed on it is the vibration in the bars and pegs seem to be quite a bit more than my yz125. Anyone have this same issue or know of any solutions? The bike feels like a rocket ship compared to the yz (The yz has head and cylinder work) both have fmf fattys and fmf shorty silencers.

Interesting you say that your 150 has vibration in the pegs and bars? I don't feel that at all on mine. Have you gone over every bolt to make sure nothing is loose?

|

5/27/2020 12:34 PM

aj_381 wrote:

I have a 19 150sx and I have been playing around with the forks to find a setting I like and haven't had any success so I will try some of the suggestions above. I have a 19 yz125 and love the forks on that bike! The biggest part that bothers me on the 150 is when hitting breaking bumps or small chops. It feels so harsh on the bike. I have been adjusting the fork air pressure from 118-124 so far. I am an intermediate vet rider that weighs 185lb and I'm 5'8". One other thing I have noticed on it is the vibration in the bars and pegs seem to be quite a bit more than my yz125. Anyone have this same issue or know of any solutions? The bike feels like a rocket ship compared to the yz (The yz has head and cylinder work) both have fmf fattys and fmf shorty silencers.

IanMac138 wrote:

Interesting you say that your 150 has vibration in the pegs and bars? I don't feel that at all on mine. Have you gone over every bolt to make sure nothing is loose?

Check the torque on your engine hangers, lower engine bolts and swingarm pivot.

You may just be feeling the difference between the 2 bikes. But I've had my lower engine bolts come loose and even lost one mid race once. I thought the bottom end was coming apart on me it vibrated so much! I drilled the heads and safety wire them now.

|

5/27/2020 2:35 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Check the torque on your engine hangers, lower engine bolts and swingarm pivot.

You may just be feeling the difference between the 2 bikes. But I've had my lower engine bolts come loose and even lost one mid race once. I thought the bottom end was coming apart on me it vibrated so much! I drilled the heads and safety wire them now.

Everything seemed tights I’m going to break stuff loose and start re torquing stuff.

|