2019 Husky TC 85 Exhaust spooge

CycleC
8/5/2018 11:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2020 1:55pm
Hi all, does anyone on here own a 2019 Husky TC 85 - I am having an issue with exhaust spooge, Im at 5200 ft running 42 pilot, NRKC Needle (2nd pos) and a 138 main jet, all this is on the lean side but still a lot of unburned fuel is coming out the silencer. My son is an above average rider so is not just putting around, the 65's we run are perfect with zero spooge. Is this a common problem on these bikes as Im not sure where to look now. I know its not a crank seal. Im stumped ?? - Any help would be apreciated

Thanks
|
Braaaphole
8/6/2018 1:20pm
What oil are you running and what ratio?
CycleC
8/6/2018 10:43pm
Hi I am using Motorex Synthetic 2T at 50: 1
CycleC
8/7/2018 12:20am
Hi no plug chops done as yet, I think I'm ok on the main jet, problem seems to be in the mid and bottom but I'm running the leanest jetting and needle setting recommended - Dont want to seize the new bike

The Shop

kb228
8/7/2018 2:10am
Spooge means youre running rich... your bike isnt burning the fuel fully.
CycleC
8/7/2018 6:28am
Yes for sure but why?? - I am running the jetting as lean and as safe as possible but its still running rich- I am going to try using race fuel (89 Unleaded and 102) and see if i get better results, the fuel we get here in SA is not the best. #SPOOGESUCKS
kb228
8/7/2018 6:39am
If your running rich youre not running lean. Theres no air at that elevation. I would assume factory jetting is way to rich. So it may look like youre running lean because of the smaller jets compared to factory but you actually arent. You need to look at the plug and see how youre running.
CycleC
8/7/2018 6:49am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2018 6:50am
Manual shows

145 Main- Im on a 138
Pilot 45 - Im on a 42
Needle 3 pos Im on 2nd Pos

So Im lean all round, yes i will do a plug chop and see results, Im running recommended jetting for 7000ft already
kb228
8/7/2018 7:08am
Heres where i would go from here, if that is in fact recommended jetting for your elevation, then your float height could be off causing it to be rich. Or your fuel octane is too high and not burning fully. Maybe try a hotter plug? Have you tried other 2 stroke oil? Maxima 927 is great.

The recommended jetting could be wrong. How many turns out is your air screw? If its not ~1.5 turns out your pilot is off.
CycleC
8/7/2018 10:29pm
Thanks I will try this, the air screw is also an issue - I can only get tyhe bike to not hesitate when i snap the throttle off idle if i run 1/2 a turn out. If i go more the bike has a slight hesitation if the throttle is snapped open from idle. I think i need to go to a larger pilot
Tracktor
8/8/2018 12:54pm
One if the first things we did on our TC 85 was switch to leaner needle and red PV spring-

Jetting - Sea level- 1000'

142 Main
Leaner needle supplied - middle (3rd) clip
45 Pilot
Air screw 1 1/2

Honda HP2 at 32/1
Red PV spring set flush.

Silencer stays clean & bike runs excellent. Squish is massive from factory so will set on first piston here soon.
CycleC
8/9/2018 1:38am
Thanks. We are at 5200 ft so our jetting is leaner all round. The red spring you fitted - is that the same as from a 250 or 300 as the bikes dont come with a red spring. With the air screw 1.5 out does the bike not have a slight hesitation if you whack open the throttle from idle. I am thinking that the compression may be to low
Tracktor
8/9/2018 11:45am
CycleC wrote:
Thanks. We are at 5200 ft so our jetting is leaner all round. The red spring you fitted - is that the same as from a...
Thanks. We are at 5200 ft so our jetting is leaner all round. The red spring you fitted - is that the same as from a 250 or 300 as the bikes dont come with a red spring. With the air screw 1.5 out does the bike not have a slight hesitation if you whack open the throttle from idle. I am thinking that the compression may be to low
Yeah, your jetting will probably be different but wanted to give you a baseline that was working. The red spring is from a 250/300.
Almost any 2-stroke can have hesitation when whacking throttle wide open on stand at times. Even if jetted perfectly. We are racing tonight I will see how it responds. I do know they can benefit from tighter squish/higher comp than what is set at factory. I am going to try and find time to throw a piston in ours this weekend. He hasn't complained but not having it all dialed drives me nuts........
CycleC
8/9/2018 10:46pm
Thanks Tracktor, Good luck for the race - seems we have the same mindset- It must be 100%, I have a feeling my squish is way out so will check it this w/e. All i want is a bike that runs well and clean. My boys 65's run just perfectly so i need the 85 to be the same. One way or the other i will get it to run nice and clean. A big concern is i can turn in my air screw all the way and the bike still runs ??

The jetting i'm using is

138 Main
Pilot 42
Needle 2nd Pos

Thanks for your input
Paw Paw 271
8/12/2018 7:22pm
Is that the correct oil and fuel mix ratio shown in the OEM manual for that bike?
I would have bet it was 60:1 using a full synthetic oil. This will have a big effect on the jetting.

Paw Paw
CycleC
8/12/2018 10:46pm
Hi Manual shows 40: 1 with Motorex- Im using 50:1
TNrider
6/12/2019 8:56am
Hi, new to the forum and hate to dig up a year old thread but I am having the same issue. Bought my son a New 2019 TC85 last week. Filled it up with MAXIMA CASTOR 927 and 93 octane (ethanol free) per manual 40:1 ratio. He was going easy on it for a proper break in and I noticed a lot of spooge coming from the exhaust. He got about 3 hours on it and fouled the plug. I pulled the plug and it was covered in oil. It's obviously running very rich. Our elevation is about 750ft in TN. I checked the owners manual for temp and elevation for carb jetting and it says it's installed with the correct jetting. I went ahead and followed the above recommendations from Tracktor but I don't have another spark plug to test it out. I read on another forum where the 927 premix does cause abnormal spooge. Is this true? What do you guys recommend? Do you know of a plug I can buy locally at an auto parts store or do they have to be ordered? Thanks for all your help.

Current Setup (untested, waiting on a plug)
142 Main (stock)
45 Pilot
Air screw 1 1/2
Tracktor
6/12/2019 10:14am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 10:19am
TNrider wrote:
Hi, new to the forum and hate to dig up a year old thread but I am having the same issue. Bought my son a New...
Hi, new to the forum and hate to dig up a year old thread but I am having the same issue. Bought my son a New 2019 TC85 last week. Filled it up with MAXIMA CASTOR 927 and 93 octane (ethanol free) per manual 40:1 ratio. He was going easy on it for a proper break in and I noticed a lot of spooge coming from the exhaust. He got about 3 hours on it and fouled the plug. I pulled the plug and it was covered in oil. It's obviously running very rich. Our elevation is about 750ft in TN. I checked the owners manual for temp and elevation for carb jetting and it says it's installed with the correct jetting. I went ahead and followed the above recommendations from Tracktor but I don't have another spark plug to test it out. I read on another forum where the 927 premix does cause abnormal spooge. Is this true? What do you guys recommend? Do you know of a plug I can buy locally at an auto parts store or do they have to be ordered? Thanks for all your help.

142 Main (stock)
45 Pilot
Air screw 1 1/2
BR9ES, BR9EG, etc will all work just fine. KTM/Husky specs a shorter top plug but plenty of room so isn't really necessary nor is the special iridium plug. Sure they are a better plug but I doubt anyone would notie=ce a difference on a stock bike(or any other for that matter).

Make sure the white connector for "easy mode" isn't disconnected I actually recommend hard wiring this as we had an issue with that connector.

I suggest running a full synthetic oil in these bikes as it keeps the powervalve from gumming up. we have no exhaust spooge ever and also don;t foul plugs. That said, my kid rides pretty aggressively. Most likely it's a combo of oil and easy riding. Don't be afraid of raising the clip on either it seems to make a big difference on these bikes.

For break in just ride it like normal. I just did a complete bottom and top end on our '18 105 and as per our usual a do one warm up to make sure everything sounds good then it's ride it like you race it. I have done this one more bikes than I can count and our pistons look great and the bikes run hard. You get better initial ring seal that heat cycles/gent rides...... even brand new of showroom floor.

Follow up from my older post - I have been running .028-.030" on squish which requires thinner base gaskets or head cut. Base gaskets are simple and I haven't noticed an ill effects from using them on these bikes. Factory is set at .036"+ on every one I have rebuilt....
TNrider
6/12/2019 10:58am
Wow, thanks for the quick reply and advice. My son will be riding it stock for a while unless he wants to race it.

I will drain the fuel mixture tonight and mix up some Maxima K2 full synthetic. I'll see how it runs on the current setup before raising the clip to the 2nd position. I was not even aware of the issue with the white connector so I will keep an eye on it. If I have to I will hard wire it as well.

At this point I just want to get it dialed in with no spooge or any more fouled plugs. He can barely touch the ground on it and has to get a running start to get on it and started by himself.

Again, thanks for the help!!
TNrider
6/12/2019 5:08pm
I picked up the new BR9EG plug to replace the BR9ECMVX but the size is quite a bit different.
BR8ES
6/13/2019 7:04am
Stock is just a shorter plug for easier access. Going easy with the bike is the biggest problem with excess oil.
CycleC
6/13/2019 7:14am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2019 7:15am
Been down this road, Funny I have a 2019 KTM 85 and a 2019 Husky 85 both jetted exactly the same, The KTM runs clean as a whistle but the Husky still drips a little bit of spooge. same fuel mix 40:1 Motorex. The biggest issue you have is that these bikes need to be revved and ridden hard. When my boy started on the 85's we always had a bit of spooge now that he rides them flat out only the Husky has a bit around the silencer. If your boy is learning just jet a bit leaner especially on the needle and pilot jet. BR9EG or BR8EG is perfect
TNrider
6/13/2019 9:49am
Thank for the replies. I have jetted it leaner and used the BR9EG and it seems to be better with the exhaust spooge. I told him to ride it harder.
BR8ES
6/13/2019 9:54am
That is good, dont be afraid to try a hotter plug too... I run an 8 series in my modded 125.
cwel11
4/4/2020 5:32am
Ok need some help here. Having the same issue with our 20 tc 85. Here’s what I’m currently running vs the book recommendations per elevation (0-1000) and temp (42-60)

Book

Air screw - 2 turns
Idle jet 48
Stock needle 3rd clip
Main jet 145
Plug ngk 9

Our settings

Air screw - 2 turns
Idle jet 45
Lean needle 3rd clip
Main jet 142
Plug ngk 8

We’re currently riding a fairly tight track and I’m still getting more spooge than I’d like. And loading up on idle and bottom. Where do I go next? Leaner main jet or idle jet? Both? Thanks guys!
Tracktor
4/6/2020 3:18pm
cwel11 wrote:
Ok need some help here. Having the same issue with our 20 tc 85. Here’s what I’m currently running vs the book recommendations per elevation (0-1000)...
Ok need some help here. Having the same issue with our 20 tc 85. Here’s what I’m currently running vs the book recommendations per elevation (0-1000) and temp (42-60)

Book

Air screw - 2 turns
Idle jet 48
Stock needle 3rd clip
Main jet 145
Plug ngk 9

Our settings

Air screw - 2 turns
Idle jet 45
Lean needle 3rd clip
Main jet 142
Plug ngk 8

We’re currently riding a fairly tight track and I’m still getting more spooge than I’d like. And loading up on idle and bottom. Where do I go next? Leaner main jet or idle jet? Both? Thanks guys!
I ran the same as you are now except needle in 2nd clip.
Opened up airbox
Red PV spring flush with case

Aggressive rider @ sea level. Never had spooge at all & bike runs strong. Needle makes biggest difference, IMO...
cwel11
4/6/2020 4:25pm
Thanks. I’ll raise the clip. Opened up air box, meaning you drilled holes in side panels?
Tracktor
4/7/2020 2:37pm
cwel11 wrote:
Thanks. I’ll raise the clip. Opened up air box, meaning you drilled holes in side panels?
Some but also opened up top around CDI. Not sure it made a difference or not but part of what I do. I know our bikes ran strong even against full mods.

Hard wire the white "soft power" plug asap also. I've seen a bad connection there cause all kinds of weird issues.......
Mossy
4/8/2020 3:51am
TNrider wrote:
Hi, new to the forum and hate to dig up a year old thread but I am having the same issue. Bought my son a New...

142 Main (stock)
45 Pilot
Air screw 1 1/2
Tracktor wrote:
BR9ES, BR9EG, etc will all work just fine. KTM/Husky specs a shorter top plug but plenty of room so isn't really necessary nor is the special...
BR9ES, BR9EG, etc will all work just fine. KTM/Husky specs a shorter top plug but plenty of room so isn't really necessary nor is the special iridium plug. Sure they are a better plug but I doubt anyone would notie=ce a difference on a stock bike(or any other for that matter).

Make sure the white connector for "easy mode" isn't disconnected I actually recommend hard wiring this as we had an issue with that connector.

I suggest running a full synthetic oil in these bikes as it keeps the powervalve from gumming up. we have no exhaust spooge ever and also don;t foul plugs. That said, my kid rides pretty aggressively. Most likely it's a combo of oil and easy riding. Don't be afraid of raising the clip on either it seems to make a big difference on these bikes.

For break in just ride it like normal. I just did a complete bottom and top end on our '18 105 and as per our usual a do one warm up to make sure everything sounds good then it's ride it like you race it. I have done this one more bikes than I can count and our pistons look great and the bikes run hard. You get better initial ring seal that heat cycles/gent rides...... even brand new of showroom floor.

Follow up from my older post - I have been running .028-.030" on squish which requires thinner base gaskets or head cut. Base gaskets are simple and I haven't noticed an ill effects from using them on these bikes. Factory is set at .036"+ on every one I have rebuilt....
This post has helped me a lot actually. Trying to figure out the spooge issues with my 97 Yz125. I went down one size with the pilot jet and it fixed the spooge coming from the power valve and out the siliencer but she’s still running rich.

Everything sounds great until between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. Bogs a little bit at that then picks back up. I ordered a lower size Main jet, but I’m going to mess with my air screw tonight and see if that does anything. Haven’t tried 1/2 turn out.

Also I run 927 castor and 32:1 ratio. And I’m not “on it” all the time when riding it which I probably need to work on.

I have a friend who advised me to not use synthetic 2 stroke oil. I think he said it’s not good for the older 2 stroke or something lol. Not sure why he would say that. Can I go between synthetic and non synthetic when I want to?
ferg722
4/8/2020 7:56am
Tracktor wrote:
BR9ES, BR9EG, etc will all work just fine. KTM/Husky specs a shorter top plug but plenty of room so isn't really necessary nor is the special...

Do BR9EG/ES plugs work for 125 & 250 sx models as well?

Post a reply to: 2019 Husky TC 85 Exhaust spooge

The Latest