2019 FC 450 Starting Issues

ktmfinn63
I have 19 fc 450 that has 9 hours on it. I am having trouble starting it starting about a week ago. Used to start awesome. I hit the starter and it will click the starter solenoid but nothing else. If I do that a couple times it will eventually roll over but not aggressively and start. I heard a boiling sound a couple times near the battery tonight if I hold the starter button but no engine till over. The battery seems to have 12.6 volts but the system seems weak and random. I have charged it couple times just because. It’s not any of the electrical connections including the starter switch or ground. I checked them all and added dialectic grease.

I am trying a friends battery tomorrow. Any suggestions?
|
mx317
8/27/2018 6:34pm
I think you are on the right track with the new Battery.
Paw Paw 271
8/27/2018 7:41pm
Load test the battery. I think it is failing under a load.

Paw Paw
ktmfinn63
8/28/2018 3:12pm
ktmfinn63 wrote:
I have 19 fc 450 that has 9 hours on it. I am having trouble starting it starting about a week ago. Used to start awesome...
I have 19 fc 450 that has 9 hours on it. I am having trouble starting it starting about a week ago. Used to start awesome. I hit the starter and it will click the starter solenoid but nothing else. If I do that a couple times it will eventually roll over but not aggressively and start. I heard a boiling sound a couple times near the battery tonight if I hold the starter button but no engine till over. The battery seems to have 12.6 volts but the system seems weak and random. I have charged it couple times just because. It’s not any of the electrical connections including the starter switch or ground. I checked them all and added dialectic grease.

Switched battery and did not change anything.

The only other things I could think of trying are the starter relay or starter.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/28/2018 5:03pm
Have you tried jump-starting it to a car? That would certainly eliminate any amperage issues.

The Shop

Tuzzo123
8/29/2018 6:59am
A guy had the same Problem this past week, try the 4 prong white plug on the back side of the front # plate. Push it together and see if that does it. He was on his way back to dealership and this did the trick. Good Luck
mx317
8/29/2018 8:28am
Tuzzo123 wrote:
A guy had the same Problem this past week, try the 4 prong white plug on the back side of the front # plate. Push it...
A guy had the same Problem this past week, try the 4 prong white plug on the back side of the front # plate. Push it together and see if that does it. He was on his way back to dealership and this did the trick. Good Luck
Didn't fix it. It ran two laps and quit, so it was something else. I put a small tie around that plug for the insurance it brings because it doesn't have a clip like most plugs.

It may fix this one, but normally when you hear a click from the starter relay the button is working.
ktmfinn63
8/29/2018 12:33pm
ktmfinn63 wrote:
I have 19 fc 450 that has 9 hours on it. I am having trouble starting it starting about a week ago. Used to start awesome...

I have new battery, starter button, and starter relay. Cleaned every ground connection. If that doesn't work the dealer will have to figure it our ASAP. this bike is racing in des nations at Red Bud.
kb228
8/29/2018 12:41pm
I think the last thing would be the starter. Id take it to the dealer so you dont waste time if its really racing that race.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/29/2018 12:47pm
ktmfinn63 wrote:

ktmfinn63 wrote:
I have new battery, starter button, and starter relay. Cleaned every ground connection. If that doesn't work the dealer will have to figure it our ASAP...
I have new battery, starter button, and starter relay. Cleaned every ground connection. If that doesn't work the dealer will have to figure it our ASAP. this bike is racing in des nations at Red Bud.
Hope they get it figured out fast! Who's racing it at MXdN?
The_Diablo
Fantasy
1653rd
8/29/2018 1:37pm
This is exactly what mine is doing now. Recharged battery. It will turnover but won't fire. I will let you know what I find out from the dealership.
prida28
9/23/2018 1:27pm
I had similar issue on a 17 Fc450 and it turned out to be the starter relay.

It was a pain to diagnose.
Alec138
9/23/2018 1:48pm
Wonder if they will ever fix this problem with the batteries and electrical systems being complete garbage in 2020 bikes? All I see and hear is how bad they are on these new e atart bikes.... can understand replacing batteries after 30-40hrs but not even 10 and even less hrs people are having to change out this stuff. Saddening... for a 10k dirtbike.
ktmfinn63
9/23/2018 1:52pm
Alec138 wrote:
Wonder if they will ever fix this problem with the batteries and electrical systems being complete garbage in 2020 bikes? All I see and hear is...
Wonder if they will ever fix this problem with the batteries and electrical systems being complete garbage in 2020 bikes? All I see and hear is how bad they are on these new e atart bikes.... can understand replacing batteries after 30-40hrs but not even 10 and even less hrs people are having to change out this stuff. Saddening... for a 10k dirtbike.
It was bad cam. The decompression thing was sticking and it was random if it would start. All fixed and covered.
Alec138
9/23/2018 2:51pm
Alec138 wrote:
Wonder if they will ever fix this problem with the batteries and electrical systems being complete garbage in 2020 bikes? All I see and hear is...
ktmfinn63 wrote:
It was bad cam. The decompression thing was sticking and it was random if it would start. All fixed and covered.
Even if it was just that, its still saddening for a 10k+ bike to have that as a problem with so little hours. Hope you didnt pay to have that fixed and it was fixed by the dealer for free?
AJ565
9/24/2018 1:31pm
Alec138 wrote:
Even if it was just that, its still saddening for a 10k+ bike to have that as a problem with so little hours. Hope you didnt...
Even if it was just that, its still saddening for a 10k+ bike to have that as a problem with so little hours. Hope you didnt pay to have that fixed and it was fixed by the dealer for free?
I just want to point out that brand new cars and trucks that cost way more than bikes do also have their problems too. Not everything can be perfect all the time and things happen. Hell, we had a 2015 Escalade that came off the transport with a lifter in 90*. New cam and lifters on a $100k truck with 3 miles on the odometer.
ktmfinn63
9/24/2018 1:41pm
Alec138 wrote:
Even if it was just that, its still saddening for a 10k+ bike to have that as a problem with so little hours. Hope you didnt...
AJ565 wrote:
I just want to point out that brand new cars and trucks that cost way more than bikes do also have their problems too. Not everything...
I just want to point out that brand new cars and trucks that cost way more than bikes do also have their problems too. Not everything can be perfect all the time and things happen. Hell, we had a 2015 Escalade that came off the transport with a lifter in 90*. New cam and lifters on a $100k truck with 3 miles on the odometer.
Agreed. The FC 450 is an awesome bike and they are covering all costs. I will definitely stay on white or orange.

Post a reply to: 2019 FC 450 Starting Issues

The Latest