2019 CRF250R Wont Stay Running. 1 Mil Blink

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2020 5:02 PM

Bike will start and run for about 15 seconds. Then shutoff. Kill switch lights up with 1 blink. Occasionally I can get it to restart just to shut off again. Owners manual says MAP sensor circuit malfunction. Chased the wires and they look good. Could the sensor be dead not working properly?

First discovered when I tried to start my bike to warm up to ride. Just 1 week before I was riding. Bike was running perfect. Washed the bike after and I started it up again before I put it away. Dont really know where to look next.

|

2019 CRF250R
"Suck less, get better"

1/12/2020 5:10 PM

Do you pressure wash? Maybe break all your connections and clean with compressed air or computer type canned air. Check on line for a way to test continuity for the MAP sensor. Or just take it to a shop.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/12/2020 5:20 PM

I did pressure wash, but I am very diligent on not spraying the throttle body area/air box. I know there are senstive connections. I forgot to mention in my first post, I took the MAP sensor off to take a look inside the connection. No water or dirt was visible. Same with the ECM and a couple other connections. I put it back together with dielectric grease to help keep water out.

|

2019 CRF250R
"Suck less, get better"

1/12/2020 9:12 PM

I’ve heard a lot of the kill switches get water in them. Try disconnecting that?

|

1/13/2020 8:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2020 8:37 AM

Leeham wrote:

Bike will start and run for about 15 seconds. Then shutoff. Kill switch lights up with 1 blink. Occasionally I can get it to restart just to shut off again. Owners manual says MAP sensor circuit malfunction. Chased the wires and they look good. Could the sensor be dead not working properly?

First discovered when I tried to start my bike to warm up to ride. Just 1 week before I was riding. Bike was running perfect. Washed the bike after and I started it up again before I put it away. Dont really know where to look next.

The MIL/mode switch/kill switch is not sealed well enough for pressure washing in these machines. Disconnect the kill switch and try it again. Bet you got water in the switch. If thats not it, you'll have to take apart and dry out the MAP connector and see if that takes care of it. I have a 2018 450RX...had the same problem. I took apart the switch housing, and packed it with dielectric grease. No problems since.

|

1/14/2020 3:02 AM

Alright, ill disconnect the switch and make sure its dry. Same with all the other connections. I will say it was raining pretty good on my way to the track. Traveling at freeway speeds it would make it very possible for water to work its way in eventually.

|

2019 CRF250R
"Suck less, get better"

1/14/2020 12:07 PM

Leeham wrote:

Alright, ill disconnect the switch and make sure its dry. Same with all the other connections. I will say it was raining pretty good on my way to the track. Traveling at freeway speeds it would make it very possible for water to work its way in eventually.

You can try to start the bike with the kill switch disconnected.

|

1/14/2020 12:19 PM

Just did, started and ran. Thanks for the help. The next one ill buy ill pack with di-grease and put a grocery bag around it if I have to drive in the rain. I always covered it when washing it.

|

2019 CRF250R
"Suck less, get better"

1/15/2020 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2020 10:21 AM

Leeham wrote:

Just did, started and ran. Thanks for the help. The next one ill buy ill pack with di-grease and put a grocery bag around it if I have to drive in the rain. I always covered it when washing it.

Any time. Glad we could help you out with that.

Are you buying a new switch or are you going to take the housing apart and let it dry out?
Also, on my RX, I have wired a second start button in parallel, and mounted it to the small frame rail behind the right radiator. (so that if I damage or destroy the bar mount start button, I can still get the bike running...needed it twice this past race season).

|

1/16/2020 5:06 AM

Bought a new switch. I took the switch apart and let it sit for a day. Tried to start it and its done. The board within the switch is fried. Oh well. However I do need to get a second start switch like yours. Ive seen in videos, factory teams have done that as a backup. I have lost 1 ride day because my start button got jammed up when I had a very low speed tip over. Freak thing. Easy enough fix but I couldn't do it at the track so it ended that day a little early.

|

2019 CRF250R
"Suck less, get better"

1/16/2020 7:14 PM

I just ordered this kill switch from Ride Eng. I don’t need the mapping options because I run a Vortex ECU. Maybe this is sealed better? They have a black version and e start switch.

|

1/18/2020 4:40 AM

It surprises me that an aftermarket company hasn't made a switch that mimics the functionality of the stock one but with a more robust waterproof casing, direct replacement plug in as the stock does. It seems like they would sell a few.

|