2019 250sx topend questions

NextGen
I got my first ktm im running around 37hrs on the stock piston I've heard between 30-40 hrs is safe so i order a vertex piaton kit size b as everyone says over 25hrs take size b. I know vertex is oem I feel safe using there stuff but I've spoke to people at the track and everyone is saying just use oem ktm but vertex is the oem provider so are people just be stupid or is there really a quality difference between vertex kit and the ktm vertex that you buy that has ktm ridden on it .... ???
|
kb228
6/14/2020 1:22pm
Literally any piston you buy from OEM or a reputable aftermarket company is going to work perfectly fine. The only ones to avoid are namura. Wiseco, vertex, etc... all good.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/14/2020 1:45pm
NextGen wrote:
I got my first ktm im running around 37hrs on the stock piston I've heard between 30-40 hrs is safe so i order a vertex piaton...
I got my first ktm im running around 37hrs on the stock piston I've heard between 30-40 hrs is safe so i order a vertex piaton kit size b as everyone says over 25hrs take size b. I know vertex is oem I feel safe using there stuff but I've spoke to people at the track and everyone is saying just use oem ktm but vertex is the oem provider so are people just be stupid or is there really a quality difference between vertex kit and the ktm vertex that you buy that has ktm ridden on it .... ???
I believe it’s just the packaging difference between OEM and Direct from Vertex. I buy direct from Vertex. I think I’ve bough 5 or 6 for my 125 and they have been solid!

You can use the PulpMX discount for 25% off “ pulpmxshow2018”
AJ565
6/14/2020 7:24pm
For what it’s worth I have 79 hours on the stock piston.

The Shop

NextGen
6/15/2020 2:29am
AJ565 wrote:
What type of riding do you do ?
AJ565
6/15/2020 5:29am
AJ565 wrote:
NextGen wrote:
Only moto. Faster B mid pack A type of rider.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/15/2020 7:21am
I threw in a Wossner at 50 hours and my bike likes it.
sandman768
6/15/2020 8:50am
Slavens has a nice Vertex piston kit for your bike... comes with the ez piston circlips...the stock Vertex clips are a PITA to install. and multiple base gaskets for your x dimension setting. I replaced mine at about 65-70hrs... original piston looked good, but with a cast piston you want to replace it before it fails. With that said, I have ran my Xc 300 original pistons to 100 hrs with no problems at all, but the 250”s rev higher. While apart, Service your powervalves, inspect your reeds, and carb body oring. Mine were fine, but worth taking a look. I have put a solid 15 hrs on my 18 since rebuilding, my 450 just sitting the garage. These new generation SX250s are Great bikes...
NextGen
6/15/2020 8:52am
AJ565 wrote:
NextGen wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Do you think i could get more out of mine then? I'm a b class rider but mainly ride in sand tracks the bike also did 20hrs of ice racing
YZed250
6/15/2020 9:57am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 9:58am
NextGen wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
NextGen wrote:
Do you think i could get more out of mine then? I'm a b class rider but mainly ride in sand tracks the bike also did...
Do you think i could get more out of mine then? I'm a b class rider but mainly ride in sand tracks the bike also did 20hrs of ice racing
A lot depends on the load, RPM, oil ratio and air filter. There is a HUGE variance in how these motors are used.
The easiest time they have is with a novice rider, riding at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle on the 300cc trails. Those bikes can go 100s of hours on a piston.

On the other end of the spectrum is an MX-guy that knows how to operate a 250cc and won't let it come down.

I'd say I'm more in the second scenario and I ran my 250SX to 100 hours/piston without a problem. I am very careful with jetting and if you are running in the sand and are a bit off/lean, that can takes it's toll.

If it's your first piston, I would definitely break it down at the 40hr or so mark and look carefully at all the parts, take pictures, maybe bring the piston and head to the nearest KTM shop to look at with you. The cost saving between running it 50 or 100 hours is really minimal especially if you are driving a ways to go race rather than just a weekend warrior.

My best point of reference is the guys who I race with on a regular basis that have been running the bike for a few more years than me. Talk to his Dad/mechanic or pro tuners and are careful/fanatical about maintenance and inspecting everything carefully. Ask a couple more questions than "when do you change a piston". Usually by the second or third question, you can tell if they are just following along with someone else's BS rule of thumb or actually looking at the parts carefully and adjusting along the way.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/15/2020 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 1:43pm
NextGen wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
NextGen wrote:
Do you think i could get more out of mine then? I'm a b class rider but mainly ride in sand tracks the bike also did...
Honestly I'd stick with 40-50 hour mark and no more if you're doing ice riding and sand riding (could have introduced a lean condition at some point?). When you do the work, measure the ring end gaps and see where they are are at. When I did my piston at 50 hours one of the rings was right at the service limit and the other was still in spec. At least that gives you something to go by and quantify for future top ends.
AJ565
6/15/2020 2:48pm
NextGen wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
NextGen wrote:
Depends on how the bike runs. If its run lean then you should change it. In sand I run by bike a little rich because its wide open so much more compared to regular dirt. I also check compression on my bike and keep tabs on it that way. I have a piston kit on the shelf for it though as I was planning on changing it out at 60 hours, but now I'm aiming for 90 depending on how the compression reads.

Post a reply to: 2019 250sx topend questions

The Latest