2018 kx250f suspension set up, harsh braking bumps

toms.ab
5/10/2019 5:21pm
Anyone had any luck getting the forks dialed in on the Showa SFF? Braking bumps kill my hands, and bounce me all around coming into corners. I just cant seem to make them work. Im 165 lbs, sag at 105.
|
kb228
5/10/2019 5:38pm
two things. If your forks are too soft, youll be riding around in the lower part of the stroke which is harsh. Increase psi and or speed up rebound.

Too stiff your forks will be harsh and deflect off everything.
MP818
5/10/2019 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2019 6:01pm
The 250F has the SFF spring set up. Speeding up the rebound (opening/softening) it also affects the compression of the midvalve which is where you’re going to be riding a lot during breaking and acceleration. Stock springs are pretty close to your weight. Is the valving stock or did you buy the bike second-hand? What’s your skill level? Tons of variables in getting you set up better.
toms.ab
5/10/2019 7:07pm
MP818 wrote:
The 250F has the SFF spring set up. Speeding up the rebound (opening/softening) it also affects the compression of the midvalve which is where you’re going...
The 250F has the SFF spring set up. Speeding up the rebound (opening/softening) it also affects the compression of the midvalve which is where you’re going to be riding a lot during breaking and acceleration. Stock springs are pretty close to your weight. Is the valving stock or did you buy the bike second-hand? What’s your skill level? Tons of variables in getting you set up better.
Im a C rider for sure, not very fast, the bike is stock i bought it new. Ive been running the preload 6 clicks in
MP818
5/10/2019 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2019 7:26pm
I’d try going to 12 clicks out on the preload adjuster on the fork. I’m not sure where you are with your compression and rebound clickers, but try 10 clicks out on fork comp., 12 clicks on fork rebound. On the shock I’d start around 1.5 turns out on hi-speed comp., 11 out on compression and 12 out on rebound. This should ideally have your sag around 103-105mm. All clicker adjustments should be made from completely in and then counted back out. Only 6 clicks in on FP is relatively minor preload.

The Shop

Spudnut
5/10/2019 9:47pm
Go back to stock and test from there.

Are your shock settings stiffer than your fork settings causing more energy to go into the fork?
aees
5/11/2019 1:06pm
MP818 wrote:
The 250F has the SFF spring set up. Speeding up the rebound (opening/softening) it also affects the compression of the midvalve which is where you’re going...
Open up the rebound makes it faster and stiffer, not softer.
Titan777
5/11/2019 6:16pm
toms.ab wrote:
Anyone had any luck getting the forks dialed in on the Showa SFF? Braking bumps kill my hands, and bounce me all around coming into corners...
Anyone had any luck getting the forks dialed in on the Showa SFF? Braking bumps kill my hands, and bounce me all around coming into corners. I just cant seem to make them work. Im 165 lbs, sag at 105.
Exactly like me, I thought this was my topic lol, we even have the same weight and sag.
Titan777
5/11/2019 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2019 6:58pm
MP818 wrote:
I’d try going to 12 clicks out on the preload adjuster on the fork. I’m not sure where you are with your compression and rebound clickers...
I’d try going to 12 clicks out on the preload adjuster on the fork. I’m not sure where you are with your compression and rebound clickers, but try 10 clicks out on fork comp., 12 clicks on fork rebound. On the shock I’d start around 1.5 turns out on hi-speed comp., 11 out on compression and 12 out on rebound. This should ideally have your sag around 103-105mm. All clicker adjustments should be made from completely in and then counted back out. Only 6 clicks in on FP is relatively minor preload.
I also have his same specs, weight and sag (105) and quite harsh front in small bumps.
Gave my friend to which is very fast on the track to try my bike but weighs 120lbs and said the front is rock hard (guess it's due to his weight?).

I mainly ride trails and singles, from hard pack to mixture of loamy sandy, loose rocks. (desert area).

If I go 22 on compression is that bad? wanted to make it soft as possible.

My current values are 18 compression, 14 rebound, 6 preload (in).
My shock is 11 out on slow comp, 2.5 out on high comp, 12 rebound.

Should I try 22 comp, 16 rebound, 10 preload (fork).
I feel like my shock is good. Just front is stiff on jumps and bumps.

EDIT: Can the stiffness/harsh stroke be due to not bleeding the right fork leg? Did it today when got back home and a lot of air released. never had so much, lol...
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
5/12/2019 5:09pm
try it and see how you like it, you won't damage anything.only change one clicker at a time. i usually make adjustments in 2-3 clicks. this makes it easier to feel if your going in the right direction.
mwssquad827
5/12/2019 7:07pm
kb228 wrote:
two things. If your forks are too soft, youll be riding around in the lower part of the stroke which is harsh. Increase psi and or...
two things. If your forks are too soft, youll be riding around in the lower part of the stroke which is harsh. Increase psi and or speed up rebound.

Too stiff your forks will be harsh and deflect off everything.
Are you at stock setting? If so go softer on compression about 3 clicks.. of you are already
Soft then go back to stock.. and see were you are sitting..
MP818
5/12/2019 8:41pm
MP818 wrote:
aees wrote:
Sorry man, but whoever told you that is wrong. Opening the rebound does make it faster, yes, but NOT stiffer. The mid speed/ midvalve compression is a part of that circuit and will make the softer.
aees
5/13/2019 2:07am
MP818 wrote:
aees wrote:
MP818 wrote:
Sorry man, but whoever told you that is wrong. Opening the rebound does make it faster, yes, but NOT stiffer. The mid speed/ midvalve compression is...
Sorry man, but whoever told you that is wrong. Opening the rebound does make it faster, yes, but NOT stiffer. The mid speed/ midvalve compression is a part of that circuit and will make the softer.
Absolutely not. It will be stiffer. Try open up the rebound 10 click in rear and let me know if the bike became easier or harder to bottom out in rear, and easier or harder to turn. Close it 10 and the bike will bottom out if you have it dialed, and it will be very difficult to turn since it rides so low.
Tracktor
5/13/2019 10:09am
aees wrote:
MP818 wrote:
Sorry man, but whoever told you that is wrong. Opening the rebound does make it faster, yes, but NOT stiffer. The mid speed/ midvalve compression is...
aees wrote:
Absolutely not. It will be stiffer. Try open up the rebound 10 click in rear and let me know if the bike became easier or harder...
Absolutely not. It will be stiffer. Try open up the rebound 10 click in rear and let me know if the bike became easier or harder to bottom out in rear, and easier or harder to turn. Close it 10 and the bike will bottom out if you have it dialed, and it will be very difficult to turn since it rides so low.
It isn't stiffer. It's harder to bottom due to the spring being allowed to rebound faster thus staying higher in the stroke. You are slightly correct while being mostly wrong. The compression stroke could feel either softer or stiffer depending on overall setup and where you are at in the stroke.............really tried to simplify that........
aees
5/13/2019 12:34pm
The practical facts is the same, open rebound and rear suspension will be stiffer (more spring energy will be released). Close it and the rear suspension will be softer.

Don't confuse people with theory when it does not matter. It is confusing enough when average Joe try to understand more rebound vs less rebound (dampening).

Faster rebound makes the rear stiffer, that is why to compensate you also can adjust compression for example 2 click stiffer (close comp) when you at the same time want a slower rebound (close rebound) like on a sand track. Of course works the other way around also. The effect is the same overall stiffness in rear.
Titan777
5/13/2019 12:42pm
aees wrote:
The practical facts is the same, open rebound and rear suspension will be stiffer (more spring energy will be released). Close it and the rear suspension...
The practical facts is the same, open rebound and rear suspension will be stiffer (more spring energy will be released). Close it and the rear suspension will be softer.

Don't confuse people with theory when it does not matter. It is confusing enough when average Joe try to understand more rebound vs less rebound (dampening).

Faster rebound makes the rear stiffer, that is why to compensate you also can adjust compression for example 2 click stiffer (close comp) when you at the same time want a slower rebound (close rebound) like on a sand track. Of course works the other way around also. The effect is the same overall stiffness in rear.
What do you think about front fork 22 comp, 16 reb, 9 preload. Mainly riding desert loamy loose/rocky, singles and sometimes mx track.
160lbs, 105 sag.
aees
5/13/2019 12:45pm
aees wrote:
The practical facts is the same, open rebound and rear suspension will be stiffer (more spring energy will be released). Close it and the rear suspension...

Titan777 wrote:
What do you think about front fork 22 comp, 16 reb, 9 preload. Mainly riding desert loamy loose/rocky, singles and sometimes mx track.
160lbs, 105 sag.
Did you ride it after bleeding?
Titan777
5/13/2019 1:11pm
aees wrote:

Titan777 wrote:
160lbs, 105 sag.
aees wrote:
Not yet. Actually I think this is the first time I bleed the right leg, don't know why I thought that screw was something else until I tried to open it.
You think I should go back to the settings I had?
NJKawi913
5/13/2019 1:11pm
I too struggled with these on my 18' KX250F. I am on the large side of 250F rider and i turned compression in two clicks, and rebound out one from the stock settingg. The one thing that i can say is do not start messing with the preload a bunch, you can spend days tweaking the setting while moving preload around just to feel no change
aees
5/13/2019 1:25pm
Titan777 wrote:
160lbs, 105 sag.
aees wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
Not yet. Actually I think this is the first time I bleed the right leg, don't know why I thought that screw was something else until...
Not yet. Actually I think this is the first time I bleed the right leg, don't know why I thought that screw was something else until I tried to open it.
You think I should go back to the settings I had?
Yea i would do that, significant difference
Titan777
5/13/2019 1:43pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
I too struggled with these on my 18' KX250F. I am on the large side of 250F rider and i turned compression in two clicks, and...
I too struggled with these on my 18' KX250F. I am on the large side of 250F rider and i turned compression in two clicks, and rebound out one from the stock settingg. The one thing that i can say is do not start messing with the preload a bunch, you can spend days tweaking the setting while moving preload around just to feel no change
So where should the preload be for my type of riding / weight? (I'm about 175 lbs with all gear).
NJKawi913
5/14/2019 8:45am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2019 8:45am
Titan777 wrote:
So where should the preload be for my type of riding / weight? (I'm about 175 lbs with all gear).
Try going 10 clicks on preload. Just an FYI the preload adjusters fully seated position is reached by going counterclockwise. I know a lot of people who have spun the adjuster all the way in clockwise not realizing this.
Titan777
5/14/2019 9:28am
Titan777 wrote:
NJKawi913 wrote:
Try going 10 clicks on preload. Just an FYI the preload adjusters fully seated position is reached by going counterclockwise. I know a lot of people...
Try going 10 clicks on preload. Just an FYI the preload adjusters fully seated position is reached by going counterclockwise. I know a lot of people who have spun the adjuster all the way in clockwise not realizing this.
Yeah I was 6 in. Now will do 10 in.
What's your recommendation for softest settings possible without washing out or ruining the overall performance.
I ride mainly desert, with loose rocky sandy terrain. Hard pack, singles. Sometimes MX track which is also hard pack but many sandy turns.
170-175 with full gear. 105 sag.
NJKawi913
5/14/2019 10:09am
Titan777 wrote:
Yeah I was 6 in. Now will do 10 in. What's your recommendation for softest settings possible without washing out or ruining the overall performance. I...
What's your recommendation for softest settings possible without washing out or ruining the overall performance.
I ride mainly desert, with loose rocky sandy terrain. Hard pack, singles. Sometimes MX track which is also hard pack but many sandy turns.
its hard to say excatly what your going to need. My thinking would be to to leave compression in its stock position, and run rebound 1-2 clicks softer than stock. I think stock rebound id 16 click out, so try 17 and see how it feels.
Titan777
5/14/2019 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2019 6:13pm
Titan777 wrote:
Yeah I was 6 in. Now will do 10 in. What's your recommendation for softest settings possible without washing out or ruining the overall performance. I...
NJKawi913 wrote:
its hard to say excatly what your going to need. My thinking would be to to leave compression in its stock position, and run rebound 1-2...
its hard to say excatly what your going to need. My thinking would be to to leave compression in its stock position, and run rebound 1-2 clicks softer than stock. I think stock rebound id 16 click out, so try 17 and see how it feels.
What will 22 comperssion do? (that'sthe max). Considering my rebound will be around 16/18.
m21racing
5/14/2019 7:51pm
Needs to be tuned. You should not be so far out on clickers.

Post a reply to: 2018 kx250f suspension set up, harsh braking bumps

The Latest