2018 crf250 Starting Issue

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2019 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 6:51 PM

2018 crf250 with a 14.5:1 piston in it, Twin Air Powerflow kit, and Tokyo Mods remap... having an issue with starting... it’s a pain to start cold most of the time (even with the fast idle knob open)... When warm sometimes it starts instantly; sometimes it won’t fire until I barely open the throttle for a brief second,... here’s a list of what I have checked already... The battery is good (have replaced it with a new one just for peace of mind)... idle is set to the correct RPM... compression is fine... leak down was around 4-5%... the valves are adjusted and within spec .004” intake .007” exhaust... I cleaned the injector... I currently have the TPS set at .450v with the bike running (I have changed this from .42-.50v and it seems to have made minimal change)... to me it almost seems like an overly rich condition upon start up? once it’s running it runs great... no idle surge and crisp throttle response, zero backfire... any ideas would be greatly appreciated... also I already know about the exploding clutch basket issues with this model

|

1/15/2019 8:18 PM

The TPS should be ( for best results) set for .6-.62V at idle. Yours is set very lean.

Paw Paw

|

1/15/2019 9:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2019 1:18 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

The TPS should be ( for best results) set for .6-.62V at idle. Yours is set very lean.

Paw Paw

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if that was universal to every manufacture... I’ve set several to that range before mainly Ktm and Kawasaki... the first reading I took before making any adjustment to the TPS was .47V haven’t seen one that far out of the range yet... so I wasnt sure if different manufactures used different base settings for their maps... I will set it to that range in the AM and update after...

|

1/16/2019 12:03 PM

Update: Have the tps set to .597 so right around the range of .60-.62 Seems to start easiest at this setting when warm... waiting for the bike to cool down to test cold start...

|

1/16/2019 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2019 1:45 PM

Still doesn’t like to start cold, at all... any other ideas? It also smells incredibly rich... Thanks in advance

|