2018 YZ450F Skipped Timing

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/30/2018 8:14am
kb228 wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2019 shootout winner. Haha
so odd because 14-17 were known to be bullet proof. up here in the North east so many people ride YZs, I see a ton of...
so odd because 14-17 were known to be bullet proof. up here in the North east so many people ride YZs, I see a ton of new ones at the track too. Certainly in no rush to sell my 17.
My 14 was great. Never any issues. My buddy has a 17 with no problems either. I know a bunch of guys with 18's that have never had any issues with theirs either.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/30/2018 8:50am
kb228 wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2019 shootout winner. Haha
so odd because 14-17 were known to be bullet proof. up here in the North east so many people ride YZs, I see a ton of...
so odd because 14-17 were known to be bullet proof. up here in the North east so many people ride YZs, I see a ton of new ones at the track too. Certainly in no rush to sell my 17.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
My 14 was great. Never any issues. My buddy has a 17 with no problems either. I know a bunch of guys with 18's that have...
My 14 was great. Never any issues. My buddy has a 17 with no problems either. I know a bunch of guys with 18's that have never had any issues with theirs either.
I was surprised for sure. I know all bikes have problems and shit happens sometimes. I always associated Yamaha with reliability and was surprised to see how much of a runaround they gave him getting it covered. Ended up covering some parts but I think it still ended up costing him almost $1500 out of pocket.

His backup bike was a 2015 with like 100 hours that seems like it was pretty bulletproof. I noticed it blowing smoke out the crankcase breather at the end of the season though so we tore it down and found a cracked piston across the top of the crown that was just about to ready to let go. Threw a new one in and it was fine lol. Luckily caught it early enough!

I thought it was a weird way to crack - I've seen them run across the crown in line with the wrist pin, but not front to back.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/30/2018 8:57am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
My 14 was great. Never any issues. My buddy has a 17 with no problems either. I know a bunch of guys with 18's that have...
Jbulz wrote:
I was surprised for sure. I know all bikes have problems and shit happens sometimes. I always associated Yamaha with reliability and was surprised to see...
I was surprised for sure. I know all bikes have problems and shit happens sometimes. I always associated Yamaha with reliability and was surprised to see how much of a runaround they gave him getting it covered. Ended up covering some parts but I think it still ended up costing him almost $1500 out of pocket.

His backup bike was a 2015 with like 100 hours that seems like it was pretty bulletproof. I noticed it blowing smoke out the crankcase breather at the end of the season though so we tore it down and found a cracked piston across the top of the crown that was just about to ready to let go. Threw a new one in and it was fine lol. Luckily caught it early enough!

I thought it was a weird way to crack - I've seen them run across the crown in line with the wrist pin, but not front to back.

The fact that he went almost or over 100 hours on a piston in a 250f unreal. That says something about their product. Not that it isn't possible, but no way in hell would I go over 40-50 hours on a piston in a 250f! Lol. 450's all day long, but never a 250f. Too high revving for me to even test it that far again. I got over 100 on my 05 kx250f before we replaced it. We will never ever do that again in a 250f! It held up, but it was not smart of us haha.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/30/2018 9:10am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
I was surprised for sure. I know all bikes have problems and shit happens sometimes. I always associated Yamaha with reliability and was surprised to see...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
The fact that he went almost or over 100 hours on a piston in a 250f unreal. That says something about their product. Not that it...
The fact that he went almost or over 100 hours on a piston in a 250f unreal. That says something about their product. Not that it isn't possible, but no way in hell would I go over 40-50 hours on a piston in a 250f! Lol. 450's all day long, but never a 250f. Too high revving for me to even test it that far again. I got over 100 on my 05 kx250f before we replaced it. We will never ever do that again in a 250f! It held up, but it was not smart of us haha.
Well that was a 450 too lol. 100 hrs is about what I'd expect a stock 450 to go, so I'm not saying anything bad about the reliability on this bike.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/30/2018 9:17am
Jbulz wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
The fact that he went almost or over 100 hours on a piston in a 250f unreal. That says something about their product. Not that it...
Jbulz wrote:
Well that was a 450 too lol. 100 hrs is about what I'd expect a stock 450 to go, so I'm not saying anything bad about...
Well that was a 450 too lol. 100 hrs is about what I'd expect a stock 450 to go, so I'm not saying anything bad about the reliability on this bike.
My bad. For some reason I saw 2015 and thought 250f Pinch

Haha but 100 hours on a 450 is still good.I personally won't go over 70-75 hours just because of fatigue and I'd rather have the insurance of knowing I shouldn't have to worry about anything breaking a destroying the motor haha
jbyrd494
12/28/2018 12:19pm
What was the final outcome with your issues?

Having a couple of issues with my 2018 yz450f, i have around 32 hours on the bike.

First my chain snapped under moderate throttle coming out of a corner, destroyed my front sprocket and luckily only nicked the case and no further damage was done. \

Now i believe the starter clutch has gone out because whenever i hit the electric start button i can just hear the starter spinning while making a high pitched whine and the motor isnt cranking at all. I bump started the bike last night and then the starter worked afterwards. I had already took the day off to go ride this morning so i figured i would test my luck with the starter. When i went to start it at the track this morning i had the same issue. I said screw it i will just bump start it that way i can still ride for the day.

Well, about 30 attempts later ( took 1 or 2 last night ) i finally get the bike started and out on the track i go. I just replaced my front and rear tire yesterday for todays ride. When i got out on the track the bike seemed to be a little off but i thought maybe it was just me not being used to the new tires. (went from mx3s to sand 5) . After riding a little longer i realized the bike was slipping in third gear. I could give the bike a nice throttle roll in 3rd gear and just feel it almost hopping like it jumped a couple teeth on the sprocket. I pulled off the track checked the chain tension and both sprockets and eveything looked great (less than 5 hours on chain and sprocket set. So i go to exit the track and i pull off in 2nd gear and i can feel the bike doing the same thing in 2nd. I said screw it and loaded up for the day. Dealer is acting like they have never had an issue with the starter clutches come in to them on these 18's which i know is bs. My biggest question is are these things directly correlated ? Or do i have two separate issues that happen to present themselves at the same time? Never had a bike newer than an 18 so all of this electric start is new to me.

I have seen some people say use full synthetic and it might stop the slipping? is this accurate? I currently run synblend4 50/50.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks
dmm698
12/28/2018 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 7:24pm
jbyrd494 wrote:
What was the final outcome with your issues? Having a couple of issues with my 2018 yz450f, i have around 32 hours on the bike. First...
What was the final outcome with your issues?

Having a couple of issues with my 2018 yz450f, i have around 32 hours on the bike.

First my chain snapped under moderate throttle coming out of a corner, destroyed my front sprocket and luckily only nicked the case and no further damage was done. \

Now i believe the starter clutch has gone out because whenever i hit the electric start button i can just hear the starter spinning while making a high pitched whine and the motor isnt cranking at all. I bump started the bike last night and then the starter worked afterwards. I had already took the day off to go ride this morning so i figured i would test my luck with the starter. When i went to start it at the track this morning i had the same issue. I said screw it i will just bump start it that way i can still ride for the day.

Well, about 30 attempts later ( took 1 or 2 last night ) i finally get the bike started and out on the track i go. I just replaced my front and rear tire yesterday for todays ride. When i got out on the track the bike seemed to be a little off but i thought maybe it was just me not being used to the new tires. (went from mx3s to sand 5) . After riding a little longer i realized the bike was slipping in third gear. I could give the bike a nice throttle roll in 3rd gear and just feel it almost hopping like it jumped a couple teeth on the sprocket. I pulled off the track checked the chain tension and both sprockets and eveything looked great (less than 5 hours on chain and sprocket set. So i go to exit the track and i pull off in 2nd gear and i can feel the bike doing the same thing in 2nd. I said screw it and loaded up for the day. Dealer is acting like they have never had an issue with the starter clutches come in to them on these 18's which i know is bs. My biggest question is are these things directly correlated ? Or do i have two separate issues that happen to present themselves at the same time? Never had a bike newer than an 18 so all of this electric start is new to me.

I have seen some people say use full synthetic and it might stop the slipping? is this accurate? I currently run synblend4 50/50.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Just sell the thing. I’ve seen way to many issues with these things. Your history is just like the one Jbulz posted about of a mutual friends bike.

Post a reply to: 2018 YZ450F Skipped Timing

The Latest