2018 YZ 125 exhaust fitment

illinimx
I’m trying to put a full PC system on my ‘18 YZ 125. I ordered a platinum pipe and regular 304 (not shorty) silencer from RMATVMC.

According to RM it should fit right on (per fit my bike software), pipe seems to not have any issues but I cannot get the bolt holes to line up on the silencer (silencer seems about 1/2” too long). PC’s website lists the silencer I was shipped as an ‘05-‘17 fitment spec, with nothing listed for an ‘18 or ‘19. I didn’t think much has changed on these Yamaha 2 strokes in a long long time, was there an exhaust dimension change from 17 to 18?

Appreciate any feedback.
-Brad
|
Paul_Pitzonka
4/30/2019 9:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2019 9:41pm
According to OEM part numbers they share the same silencer as 18-19 so it should fit...
Rickyisms
5/1/2019 4:37am
Is your subframe straight? Are you sure underneath the rubber sleeve where the silencer connects to the expansion chamber they are 100% slinging onto each other?

I know the rubber sleeve is a pain in the ass on my KTM and usually takes a few minutes and choice words to get it on all the way.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/1/2019 10:35am
Loosen your pipe bolts all the way around first. (Leave the pipe springs on.) I had the same issue on all my YZ125s from 1997 onward.

What happened is that your old pipe made the lower, front rubber mount take a set and it holds the entire pipe at a slightly different angle than the PC pipe wants to be. This in turn affects the silencer positioning. If you leave the pipe bolts loose, you can install the silencer and then snug the pipe down.

Hot tip: Use red RTV silicone to join the pipe and silencer and ditch the rubber joint.
illinimx
5/1/2019 11:23am
Falcon wrote:
Loosen your pipe bolts all the way around first. (Leave the pipe springs on.) I had the same issue on all my YZ125s from 1997 onward...
Loosen your pipe bolts all the way around first. (Leave the pipe springs on.) I had the same issue on all my YZ125s from 1997 onward.

What happened is that your old pipe made the lower, front rubber mount take a set and it holds the entire pipe at a slightly different angle than the PC pipe wants to be. This in turn affects the silencer positioning. If you leave the pipe bolts loose, you can install the silencer and then snug the pipe down.

Hot tip: Use red RTV silicone to join the pipe and silencer and ditch the rubber joint.
Great thanks man. I got it damn close last night, I’ll get Er done tonight. Thanks for the tip on the gasket silicone.

Post a reply to: 2018 YZ 125 exhaust fitment

The Latest