2018 KX250F shutting down

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2018 7:43 AM

cowasocki205 wrote:

If you have a service manual for the bike and the correct sub harness to connect to your diagnostic plug and then to a battery you can see if it spits out any codes. Instead of having everything displayed on a laptop you'll basically decode a series of flashes that your efi light emits. I've never done it like that, just the laptop setup but it can be done and the service manual should walk you through it.

Titan777 wrote:

Do I need to buy an optional part? (Power supply harness)

Photo

You can make one with some wire and terminals. Dont waste your money. Positve to positive, negative to negative

|

12/7/2018 9:50 AM

cowasocki205 wrote:

Is the bike bone stock? Check your idle, u can typically do that by feel and sound. Check your tpms sensor if the bike is already at the dealership it's very easy for them to check/adjust with the software, plus any codes your bike has will be displayed. Not gonna hurt to slap a fresh plug in....they're $10. Next id check the pump and filter. If it was me id do it in that order too, with the exception of the plug. Always try the easy and cheap things first. But like it's been discussed in other forum topics smart money is on tpms, don't know what it is with kawi and those things.

Titan777 wrote:

Yes, it's stock. I think the idle rpm is ok. I replaced a new plug an hour ago and tried to see if something has changed but still the same issue, the bike fires in 2 kicks but the power delivery is weird, has a delay and burst of power, like it's choking and releasing... as if you would stop a water hose for a moment and let go. Feels choked and snappy.... Also I felt like it wants to shut off but if I put more throttle it doesn't shutdown. (was just riding in the parking lot 1st \ 2nd gear).

Is the Launch Control stuck on somehow? Maybe disconnect switch and see if changes it?.....

|

12/7/2018 9:54 AM

cowasocki205 wrote:

If you have a service manual for the bike and the correct sub harness to connect to your diagnostic plug and then to a battery you can see if it spits out any codes. Instead of having everything displayed on a laptop you'll basically decode a series of flashes that your efi light emits. I've never done it like that, just the laptop setup but it can be done and the service manual should walk you through it.

Titan777 wrote:

Photo

kb228 wrote:

You can make one with some wire and terminals. Dont waste your money. Positve to positive, negative to negative

Wait, if I can start my bike, can it flash the error codes without all this trouble connecting 12v wires and stuff..?

|

12/7/2018 10:24 AM

Titan777 wrote:

Photo

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

Wait, if I can start my bike, can it flash the error codes without all this trouble connecting 12v wires and stuff..?

No you have to connect a power supply and the kawi diag tool. Im just saying you dont need the power supply harness in the pic you posted. Its expensive as hell.

|

12/7/2018 10:37 AM

Yeah you are right.. I just tried and it fires up with 2 kicks but no orange light... lol.
Can't wait to know what the problem is ):

|

12/7/2018 11:15 AM

Titan777 wrote:

Yeah you are right.. I just tried and it fires up with 2 kicks but no orange light... lol.

To get the codes, you dont start the bike. Plug the power supply in(you basically replace the capacitor with the 12v battery). Youll hear the fuel pump prime when you do it. Not sure on the new models. But there should be a plug on the kickstarter side behind the main frame spar. Its a 3 terminal plug. Doesnt go to anything and it has a cap on it. One of those terminals need to touch your frame for x amount of time and your ecu light should start to flash codes. The service manual has all the details on how to do that. Theres actually a good youtube video out there on this on a kx250f

|

12/7/2018 11:39 AM

Titan777 wrote:

Get a kawasaki service manual it'll tell you everything you want to know about your bike instead of getting 10 different random opinions/theorys on what's wrong with your bike.

|

12/9/2018 9:52 PM

Is your fuel cap venting correctly?

|

12/10/2018 7:53 AM

Markee wrote:

Is your fuel cap venting correctly?

Yes, I've checked.
Tomorrow the dealer is supposed to get the Kawi software, hope we'll find the issue.

|

12/11/2018 1:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2018 1:48 PM

kb228 wrote:

To get the codes, you dont start the bike. Plug the power supply in(you basically replace the capacitor with the 12v battery). Youll hear the fuel pump prime when you do it. Not sure on the new models. But there should be a plug on the kickstarter side behind the main frame spar. Its a 3 terminal plug. Doesnt go to anything and it has a cap on it. One of those terminals need to touch your frame for x amount of time and your ecu light should start to flash codes. The service manual has all the details on how to do that. Theres actually a good youtube video out there on this on a kx250f

Can the Kawasaki software at the dealer know my current TPS values or I must hook it to a 5V power source with a multimeter?

Btw, can this software also calibrate the FI or I must have the FI calibration device?
And this calibrate the ECU or one of the couplers? Didn't quite understand, if I calibrate the FI, do I still need the green coupler plugged in? (if I ride without a coupler it will get dirty, etc...)

|

12/11/2018 1:18 PM

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

Can the Kawasaki software at the dealer know my current TPS values or I must hook it to a 5V power source with a multimeter?

Btw, can this software also calibrate the FI or I must have the FI calibration device?
And this calibrate the ECU or one of the couplers? Didn't quite understand, if I calibrate the FI, do I still need the green coupler plugged in? (if I ride without a coupler it will get dirty, etc...)

Yes the dealer can do it for you.

|

12/11/2018 2:18 PM

If you ride without a coupler installed it defaults to the standard track condition. Changing the coupler while the engine is running results in no change in the DFI setting. Took this info directly from the owners manual. I believe you can download a manual directly from Kawasaki. There is lots of useful information in it.

|

No brains, No headaches.

12/11/2018 3:16 PM

Keith72 wrote:

If you ride without a coupler installed it defaults to the standard track condition. Changing the coupler while the engine is running results in no change in the DFI setting. Took this info directly from the owners manual. I believe you can download a manual directly from Kawasaki. There is lots of useful information in it.

Thanks but I know this, and I have the manual. That's not what I was asking.
The Kawasaki software at the dealer can calibrate the ECU or can I calibrate an existing coupler?
if only the ECU, I don't want to ride without a coupler since it will get dirt inside. I don't have a plug for it.

|

12/11/2018 3:17 PM

kb228 wrote:

What about the TPS question?
"Can the Kawasaki software at the dealer know my current TPS values or I must hook it to a 5V power source with a multimeter?"

|

12/11/2018 5:19 PM

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

"Can the Kawasaki software at the dealer know my current TPS values or I must hook it to a 5V power source with a multimeter?"

You need to power the system with a 12v battery. But to answer your question, yes the dealer can read your voltage and set it for you.

|

12/11/2018 5:47 PM

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

You need to power the system with a 12v battery. But to answer your question, yes the dealer can read your voltage and set it for you.

Great. So I'll ask them to do 0.62v for the TPS.

What about these FI adjustments from MXA? Should I do it as well?

Photo

Photo

|

12/11/2018 5:50 PM

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

Photo

Photo

I would just work on getting it running correctly stock before you try to mod it. Im sure that map is good but you need to get it going right first. Take it to the dealer and let them diagnose it. Its literally 1 hour on kawis.

|

12/11/2018 5:54 PM

kb228 wrote:

I would just work on getting it running correctly stock before you try to mod it. Im sure that map is good but you need to get it going right first. Take it to the dealer and let them diagnose it. Its literally 1 hour on kawis.

Cool. So I'll take it for a ride after they "fix" it and do the other mods later.
But the TPS should be changed to 0.62 right away or leave it at stock? Thought the 0.5+ isn't good.

|

12/11/2018 6:15 PM

Titan777 wrote:

Photo

Photo

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

Cool. So I'll take it for a ride after they "fix" it and do the other mods later.
But the TPS should be changed to 0.62 right away or leave it at stock? Thought the 0.5+ isn't good.

Yes .62

|

12/11/2018 6:24 PM

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Yes .62

If I change the FI, how do I ride without a coupler? Don't want dirt getting inside.

|

12/11/2018 8:00 PM

You don’t ride without one of the couplers. The tuner will make a map for one of your white, green, or black couplers.

|

12/12/2018 7:23 AM

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Yes .62

Update from the dealer:
They finally got the Kawi Computers back and they hooked the bike and didn't find any issues with the diagnosis. They said they had fuel pressure test and was also good.
I asked if they checked the TPS values and they said the software says it's ok.
So now I don't know if they actually saw the TPS values or just assuming it's fine.
They also said the problem comes and goes, as they tried to ride it and seemed fine but later tried again and the problem was back.
The dealer said it's something mechanical and tomorrow will work on the bike more.

Should I persist on checking the TPS values or the software can really tell how much V it currently has?

|

12/12/2018 8:14 AM

cowasocki205 wrote:

Is the bike bone stock? Check your idle, u can typically do that by feel and sound. Check your tpms sensor if the bike is already at the dealership it's very easy for them to check/adjust with the software, plus any codes your bike has will be displayed. Not gonna hurt to slap a fresh plug in....they're $10. Next id check the pump and filter. If it was me id do it in that order too, with the exception of the plug. Always try the easy and cheap things first. But like it's been discussed in other forum topics smart money is on tpms, don't know what it is with kawi and those things.

Titan777 wrote:

Yes, it's stock. I think the idle rpm is ok. I replaced a new plug an hour ago and tried to see if something has changed but still the same issue, the bike fires in 2 kicks but the power delivery is weird, has a delay and burst of power, like it's choking and releasing... as if you would stop a water hose for a moment and let go. Feels choked and snappy.... Also I felt like it wants to shut off but if I put more throttle it doesn't shutdown. (was just riding in the parking lot 1st \ 2nd gear).

Tracktor wrote:

Is the Launch Control stuck on somehow? Maybe disconnect switch and see if changes it?.....

Did you try Tracktors suggestion? Does the problem occur regardless of which ecu coupler is installed?

|

No brains, No headaches.

12/12/2018 9:37 AM

Keith72 wrote:

Did you try Tracktors suggestion? Does the problem occur regardless of which ecu coupler is installed?

I never used it before and bike never crashed so I don't know how it can get stuck.

Yes I tried with the white coupler and had same issues.

|

12/13/2018 5:14 AM

kb228 wrote:

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Yes .62

Could it be the clutch?
The dealer owner just tried to ride it and I told him to pull in the clutch while riding, i.e 2nd gear and the bike would shut off. Pulled the clutch while riding in 1st gear and it will shut off, let go the clutch and it will start again.

We didn't check the output of the TPS yet.

Any thoughts?

|

12/13/2018 6:39 AM

Titan777 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Yes .62

Titan777 wrote:

Could it be the clutch?
The dealer owner just tried to ride it and I told him to pull in the clutch while riding, i.e 2nd gear and the bike would shut off. Pulled the clutch while riding in 1st gear and it will shut off, let go the clutch and it will start again.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts are to check what everyone is telling you to check and stop trying to come up with other ideas.

|

12/13/2018 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2018 7:49 AM

kb228 wrote:

Yes .62

Titan777 wrote:

Could it be the clutch?

Any thoughts?

kb228 wrote:

Thoughts are to check what everyone is telling you to check and stop trying to come up with other ideas.

It's what the mechanic said.
The diagnosis said everything is fine.
Fuel pump pressure was 50 psi.

About 1/4 of the clutch release and the bike shuts off.
Even what mentioned above is related to the TPS and not clutch? (Shutting off while riding when pulling in the clutch).

Also when riding very slow in 1st gear the bike doesn't stall. Only if clutch is pulled.

|

12/13/2018 8:54 AM

Can you post a video?

|

12/13/2018 9:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2018 9:37 AM

kb228 wrote:

Can you post a video?

I can tomorrow as the dealer is now closed.
Also would like to add that when I put into 1st gear and try to find the clutch engagement point, the bike doesn't shut off. It can move very slowly in that point, like it should.
But once I add throttle it will shut down.
If I do this process more aggressively, throwing a bit clutch and more throttle, it won't shut off.
Bike fires with 1 kick.

No one at other Kawi dealers heard of this issue, they made several phone calls.

|

12/13/2018 9:43 AM

Titan777 wrote:

Could it be the clutch?

Any thoughts?

Yes check the tps like we all told you to do 5 days ago. The clutch wouldn't cause that. It sounds like your dealer has no idea how to use the diagnostic software.

|