2018 KX250F excessive engine vibration?

WW444
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2019 10:18am
I have roughly maybe 4 hours on my 18 250. Well I picked up a 19 kx450 last week and hit the track yesterday. First off I love the 19. They hit it out of the park with it. So I hopped on my 250 for my second moto and I noticed a good bit of engine vibration. I mean I noticed it right away. I started thinking surely it has not been like this and I just haven't noticed. There is no way, I would have noticed it. Spent most of the day breaking in the 450. I checked all motor mount bolts and every other bolt I can think of on the 250. I mainly feel it through the grips and foot pegs. It felt like I was riding my 125.. Any ideas? Like I said it only has 5 hours on it.
|
WW444
3/21/2019 8:50am
Anybody? I rechecked everything today and rode it around the house and its bad- at a certain rpm it hits and I feel it through the grips and pegs bad. This just randomly started too
Wiztardo
3/21/2019 9:11am
That's a strange one for sure. You've owned it since new? No aftermarket stuff? What sort of fuel are you running? Could it be pre detonation? Does it get worse with engine speed?
WW444
3/21/2019 12:06pm
Wiztardo wrote:
That's a strange one for sure. You've owned it since new? No aftermarket stuff? What sort of fuel are you running? Could it be pre detonation...
That's a strange one for sure. You've owned it since new? No aftermarket stuff? What sort of fuel are you running? Could it be pre detonation? Does it get worse with engine speed?
I've done exhaust, chain and sprockets but thats it.Yes, bought new and not even 5 hours on it. I run 93 pump gas in it. I could not tell if it gets worse with speed. It does it in neutral too, at a certain rpm. It doesn't do it at idle but starts at quarter throttle and its vibrates so bad I can't tell if it gets worse. It makes my hands tingle after 30 seconds of holding on. I may have to take it to the dealer but I don't know if I trust their tech if he has to tear into it.
kb228
3/21/2019 12:20pm
I think you have a loose bolt somewhere you missed. With that low hours i dont see the crank or clutch bearings going out. Not saying impossible just highly unlikely.

Double check the torque on all of your bolts.

If it proceeds then get a mechanics stethoscope and probe around the engine while its running. If you got a bad bearing in the engine youll hear it loud and clear.

If you find something, let kawasaki fix it. If they mess it up, they get to try again. You shouldnt have issues on a brand new bike.

The Shop

Wade221
3/21/2019 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2019 12:35pm
WW444 wrote:
I have roughly maybe 4 hours on my 18 250. Well I picked up a 19 kx450 last week and hit the track yesterday. First off...
I have roughly maybe 4 hours on my 18 250. Well I picked up a 19 kx450 last week and hit the track yesterday. First off I love the 19. They hit it out of the park with it. So I hopped on my 250 for my second moto and I noticed a good bit of engine vibration. I mean I noticed it right away. I started thinking surely it has not been like this and I just haven't noticed. There is no way, I would have noticed it. Spent most of the day breaking in the 450. I checked all motor mount bolts and every other bolt I can think of on the 250. I mainly feel it through the grips and foot pegs. It felt like I was riding my 125.. Any ideas? Like I said it only has 5 hours on it.
I know you said you feel it through pegs too, but both sets of bar mount dampeners are in place correctly?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/21/2019 6:20pm
i was just reading today of a few people having issues 2017/18 kx250's. seemed few and far between. ironically im having similar issue with my 03 250.
Radfonz
3/21/2019 10:44pm
they don't have a balance shaft so they will vibe a bit. Have you compared to another KX250f?
WW444
3/22/2019 7:48am
Everything is in torque spec. Something happened between my last ride and this weekend. Trust me guys, this has not been doing this. It will put your hands to sleep in less than a minute. I ran it by my engine builder last night and he was kinda stumped on it. He said yeah this is bad, but it doesn't have any abnormal engine noise or run failure so it was hard to say "yes its the crank" So today I am going to see my dealer I bought it from and talk to them. My engine builder used to work for dealers and he said to take it to them- and they will have to make the phone call to Kawi and tell them the situation and that Kawi will either say yes go into and find out or here are some parts or no can not help. So fingers crossed because I just bought a 19 Kawi 450 so the wallet is not ready for a rebuild..
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/27/2019 7:41am
how'd it turn out at the dealer for you?
WW444
3/29/2019 9:18am
I took it in 2 days ago to my selling dealer and I stopped by yesterday when I got off work and they had called Kawi and Kawi told them to hook to the ecu and see how many hours I had on it and their scanner wouldnt pull the hours so They are suppose to be calling Kawi today to see what they need to do to get the info to them. Basically Kawi said as long as its under 15 they will fix it from what he told me. I have maybe 4 if that so I am good. But here is the thing. I do not trust the mechanic this dealer has to tear my whole motor down.. Just from personal experiences with them and just by talking to him. They mainly work on street bikes and junk 4 wheelers at this dealer. I have another dealer I have used in the past that I know has some good techs. So if Kawi gives us the green light to tear into it. Can I take it to someone I trust?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/29/2019 9:49am
WW444 wrote:
I took it in 2 days ago to my selling dealer and I stopped by yesterday when I got off work and they had called Kawi...
I took it in 2 days ago to my selling dealer and I stopped by yesterday when I got off work and they had called Kawi and Kawi told them to hook to the ecu and see how many hours I had on it and their scanner wouldnt pull the hours so They are suppose to be calling Kawi today to see what they need to do to get the info to them. Basically Kawi said as long as its under 15 they will fix it from what he told me. I have maybe 4 if that so I am good. But here is the thing. I do not trust the mechanic this dealer has to tear my whole motor down.. Just from personal experiences with them and just by talking to him. They mainly work on street bikes and junk 4 wheelers at this dealer. I have another dealer I have used in the past that I know has some good techs. So if Kawi gives us the green light to tear into it. Can I take it to someone I trust?
i think that would be up to kawi and finding another dealer that's willing to do it pro bono.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/29/2019 10:44am
As long as you take it to a Kawasaki dealer, their warranty coverage is the same. You do not have to return to the dealer you purchased the bike from.
motox331
3/29/2019 11:54am
If the mechanic works on street bikes I doubt he will have any issue working on your motor. While he may not be the most knowledgeable about the dirt line of bikes, the motors are very basic.
WW444
4/3/2019 11:11am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2019 11:13am
Still waiting on my dealer to get their scanner formatted so it will pull the hours from the ecu before Kawi will do anything. In the meantime, I was talking to my buddy that does my motor work and he is leaning towards either a loose fly wheel or inner clutch hub because the vibration doesn't start till a certain throttle point. Idling and low throttle it is smooth as normal then bam it hits like a freight train at a certain rpm. If it was a crank out of balance wouldn't it do it during idle?
4/5/2019 4:20am
Just throwing this out there, if you’re looking for a good dealer that has moto experience, you can bring it to Columbia Powersports on Columbia, TN. I know it would be a little bit of a hike for you but I have some great techs here. As a former SX- MX tech and now service manager here, I make sure we do things right. We have all the scanners for kawi plus the FI Calibration tool
Wiztardo
4/5/2019 6:14am
Just throwing this out there, if you’re looking for a good dealer that has moto experience, you can bring it to Columbia Powersports on Columbia, TN...
Just throwing this out there, if you’re looking for a good dealer that has moto experience, you can bring it to Columbia Powersports on Columbia, TN. I know it would be a little bit of a hike for you but I have some great techs here. As a former SX- MX tech and now service manager here, I make sure we do things right. We have all the scanners for kawi plus the FI Calibration tool
I am not sure what sort of drive you'd be making, OP- but I would be all over this. I would make a little day trip/ vacation out of it and do this. Take your 450 along and go ride a couple places in TN while you drop your 250 off. If Kawasaki will cover the cost, I would absolutely seek out someone who will do the job right and thorough. I don't think this would be silly at all, considering it is a pristine 2018 KX250. That is an investment that would be worth taking an extra couple days in the long run for the peace of mind. Especially if you are weary of the current mechanics you have access to.

Taking someone for their word on the internet is a bit strange, but I don't see why Ianhendry would go out of his way to make this offer. But that is still something to consider- no offense Ian!
WW444
4/5/2019 8:20am
Just throwing this out there, if you’re looking for a good dealer that has moto experience, you can bring it to Columbia Powersports on Columbia, TN...
Just so happens I am coming right through there today on my way to Nashville for SX this weekend but I already have people riding with me so I can't bring my truck. But I am most definitely going to give you a call! My dad has a house in Pulaski so I'm use to the drive up there. But with my bike being at the dealer can I just pick it up? Kawi told me that I can take it to any Kawi dealer I want after I told them the issue I am having and with the issues I am having with my selling dealer

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/5/2019 10:29am
i dont think the dealer can refuse giving your bike back and they don't seem to keen on helping in a timely manner, go pick it up
WW444
4/11/2019 8:42am
Update: I stopped by my dealer yesterday since I have gotten Zero phone calls. They were able to pull the hours and it has exactly 3 on it. Long story short, they are not trying to help. They are trying to act like it is normal but state "they don't ride these motocross bikes so they don't know" So I am done with them and I am picking up my bike today and taking it to Ian at Columbia powersports in TN. Talked to him and he sounds like he truly knows what he is doing and wants to help. I will hopefully drop it off with them Saturday.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/12/2019 6:59am
bummer that your shop hasn't cared enough to help you much the last 3 weeks or so, but i'd have some piece of mind knowing it's going to a shop that actually wants to help. hope it works out for you.
4/13/2019 7:47pm
Thanks for bringing it up today man. It was really nice to meet you! We will get it taken care of man!
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/25/2019 3:19pm
how'd this end up working out?
WW444
4/29/2019 11:55am
Update: Dropped the bike off at Columbia Powersports in TN 2 weeks ago. Ian called me a couple of days after I dropped it off and told me they tore it down and found a left side main bearing intermittently seizing. They also found one of the trans bearings was a little rough too. He contacted Kawi and Kawi is replacing all bearings and they said to throw a fresh piston/rings in it as well! All parts are in and they should be going back together with the motor this week. They have been nothing but helpful to me! I recommend them everyone. Once they get my bike finished and I pick it up I will get the more in depth details about the failed parts and update here. Hopefully this will help anyone having a similar issue or for future reference.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/29/2019 12:25pm
awesome to see Kawi stand behind there product and props to Ian at Columbia for taking care of you.
WEAL
4/29/2019 3:08pm
Make sure they check the run-out of the crank - would not be the first that is so far off that the bearings fail very early.Run-out should be less than 2/100mm - any more and the main bearings life is very short.
WW444
4/30/2019 9:20am
WEAL wrote:
Make sure they check the run-out of the crank - would not be the first that is so far off that the bearings fail very early.Run-out...
Make sure they check the run-out of the crank - would not be the first that is so far off that the bearings fail very early.Run-out should be less than 2/100mm - any more and the main bearings life is very short.
He told me they checked the run out and it was in spec.
DynoDan22
4/30/2019 10:18am
Good thing you noticed the vibration before she grenaded. Good to see Kawi stand behind it as well.
mk2jetta
5/25/2019 2:02pm
You run the pc pipe? I noticed with my 4.1 an ti6 , no muffler grommet so vibration is noticable different..
WW444
5/29/2019 7:09am
Sorry for the lack of update. I got it back and it still felt like it had some vibration.. it didn't seem as bad but still noticeable. So I really had no clue what to do. I rode it this past Saturday and it was ride-able but still not the most enjoyable ride. Yesterday I saw mk2jetta's reply and it had me thinking maybe it is my pc pipe because its solid mounted. I threw the stock exhaust back on last night and what do you know, smooth as butter. I never would have thought that the solid mounted pipe would cause that much vibration. I have had pc and fmfs on my older 250s and don't remember any of them having this vibration. I am going to call pro circuit and see if I can send them the pipe and have them rubber mount the bracket.

Post a reply to: 2018 KX250F excessive engine vibration?

The Latest