2018 KTM250SXF Help please!

Squiddy152
Bought the bike brand new from my dealership 08/04/18. Had 0.1 hours on her. Took her home and did insane amount of heat cycles, pretty much like the manual states.1st-2nd heat cycles were just warming the bike up and riding in 1st gear at low rpm and then having the bike completely cool down. 3rd-5th heat cycles were going through the gears and low rpms and for about 20 min. 6th-8th heat cycles were the same but a little more rpm(manual says not to go over 7k for the first hour but I don't know where 7k is but I'm positive i didn't). Ended up finishing the heats cycles at 1.2 hours, changed the oil and filter, had metal shavings obviously.

That same day I started cruising the bike around my little track, going through all the gears, getting a feel for her and all. Up until 3.1 hours(manual states not to go over 75% until 3 hours). All ways good!

Next day I take her to the track and made sure to do another "safe" heat cycle which involved me taking the bike off the truck and letting her warm up for about 7min at idle while I geared up and checked everything and then turning her off and letting her cool completely down. After that I took her on the track and did 3 laps of just cruising. Going through all the gears again and just barely making it up certain sections because I was going easy easy easy. Again let her cool down completely then started to shred. She had 3.4 hours when I started ripping!

Anyways when I engine break I have this little back fire, like a carbureted bike has when it's running to lean. It's not a pop, but more of a puff puff puff. My dealerships says that resetting the ecu should help with that but it won't go away completely. I hear some ktms do it but not as much as mine. I'll upload videos of the sounds after I get done with this.

End of the day take her home get her all cleaned up blah blah blah. 4.1 hours I change the oil and filter, very clean! After I changed the oil I tried to start her to let her cycle and it won't start. Pull the choke and still nothing. She'll start if I give her some gas but she will give me attitude about it. After I start her and let her run for 5 seconds, she doesn't have a problem start with just the push of the button no gas.

This is my first ktm other than when I was on 50's so this is allllllll new to me. Would definitely appreciate some answer to help with my worries! I'm so meticulous about my bike and it's really frustrating me because what she's doing doesn't sound all that right. Thank you in advance.
|
kb228
8/14/2018 8:16am
Id look at your tps setting. Seems to be a common trend that the ktms dont come set right from the factory.
Squiddy152
8/14/2018 8:24am
kb228 wrote:
Id look at your tps setting. Seems to be a common trend that the ktms dont come set right from the factory.
What is that exactly? Like I said I'm new to this stuff lol. I tried playing with the map settings to see if it'll help richer it and what not. I also forgot to mention that I've only ran vp t4 in her, I know vp runs a big lean but I don't think it'd create all of that.

The Shop

kb228
8/14/2018 8:29am
kb228 wrote:
Squiddy152 wrote:
What is that exactly? Like I said I'm new to this stuff lol. I tried playing with the map settings to see if it'll help richer...
What is that exactly? Like I said I'm new to this stuff lol. I tried playing with the map settings to see if it'll help richer it and what not. I also forgot to mention that I've only ran vp t4 in her, I know vp runs a big lean but I don't think it'd create all of that.
Its on the side of the throttle body. Its connected to your butterfly inside the throttle body. It tells the ecu how far open the throttle is so it injects the right amount of gas. if its not set right, it will tell the ecu its at 20% open instead of 25% and inject less gas. causing the popping in your video.

You need a multimeter and a bit of a wiring rig to get a reading. If youre totally new, id suggest having your dealer set it for you. If you do it wrong it can get messy. Pressure from your finger on that sensor can change the setting - its THAT sensitive to change.
RCF
8/14/2018 8:44am
Here's a link to the tool their cheap make sure you use a good multimeter

TPS tool
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/14/2018 9:48am
Don't stress about your heat cycles but you will get lots of different opinions on that. You broke it in fine.

1st- Don't let the bike idle for 7 minutes. It's just not needed.

2- When it pops in the air isn't that decel pop meaning it's too rich?

3- Try removing the backfire screen on your filter cage or get a 2 stroke filter cage to get some more air in there if needed.

4- Shift up when you hit the rev limiter between the 2 jumps.Evil
Squiddy152
8/14/2018 9:55am
Don't stress about your heat cycles but you will get lots of different opinions on that. You broke it in fine. 1st- Don't let the bike...
Don't stress about your heat cycles but you will get lots of different opinions on that. You broke it in fine.

1st- Don't let the bike idle for 7 minutes. It's just not needed.

2- When it pops in the air isn't that decel pop meaning it's too rich?

3- Try removing the backfire screen on your filter cage or get a 2 stroke filter cage to get some more air in there if needed.

4- Shift up when you hit the rev limiter between the 2 jumps.Evil
Yes sir lol! It's hard to ride this bike with the gearing it has.
Solidkm
8/14/2018 11:39am
I know you didn’t ask about heat cycles. But it’s not 1970 anymore with iron barrels. Read up on it. That bike was romped on at the factory. So you being nice to it now doesn’t matter.
kb228
8/14/2018 11:42am
Solidkm wrote:
I know you didn’t ask about heat cycles. But it’s not 1970 anymore with iron barrels. Read up on it. That bike was romped on at...
I know you didn’t ask about heat cycles. But it’s not 1970 anymore with iron barrels. Read up on it. That bike was romped on at the factory. So you being nice to it now doesn’t matter.
X2. Its pretty common to hear 1 hour and then let her rip.
Squiddy152
8/14/2018 11:45am
Solidkm wrote:
I know you didn’t ask about heat cycles. But it’s not 1970 anymore with iron barrels. Read up on it. That bike was romped on at...
kb228 wrote:
I knew that buying the bike. But I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to make it last, which would be following the "directions" lol
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/14/2018 12:09pm
Solidkm wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Squiddy152 wrote:
I knew that buying the bike. But I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to make it last, which would be following the...
I knew that buying the bike. But I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to make it last, which would be following the "directions" lol
If you want it to last, don’t ride on the rev limiter Silly

But in all reality, your bike is fine, just needs some Ecu tuning or opening up to let her breathe. You have to image the factory is setting the air fuel in a generic setting(Typically So Cal). So if your more humid, elevation, bike hot from rev limiter, it’s all going to effect that popping.

Does it pop on both maps? That could give you some idea if it’s lean or rich. The aggressive map will be more lean.

Twisted Development has great maps for these bikes, you can send the Ecu and they will drop in a new map.
kb228
8/14/2018 1:07pm
kb228 wrote:
Squiddy152 wrote:
I knew that buying the bike. But I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to make it last, which would be following the...
If you want it to last, don’t ride on the rev limiter :silly: But in all reality, your bike is fine, just needs some Ecu tuning...
If you want it to last, don’t ride on the rev limiter Silly

But in all reality, your bike is fine, just needs some Ecu tuning or opening up to let her breathe. You have to image the factory is setting the air fuel in a generic setting(Typically So Cal). So if your more humid, elevation, bike hot from rev limiter, it’s all going to effect that popping.

Does it pop on both maps? That could give you some idea if it’s lean or rich. The aggressive map will be more lean.

Twisted Development has great maps for these bikes, you can send the Ecu and they will drop in a new map.
X2. Youre more justin barcia than justin barcia bro
Squiddy152
8/14/2018 1:44pm
Sounds good! Thank you all for the replys, it means a lot.
exbmxmx
8/14/2018 3:22pm
"She'll start if I give her some gas but she will give me attitude about it. After I start her and let her run for 5 seconds, she doesn't have a problem start with just the push of the button no gas."

Mine does the exact same thing. Sometimes I have to crack the throttle open to get it to fire up. No biggie.
Hcallz5
8/14/2018 7:23pm
EFI throttle uses a potentiometer, as stated you'll want to get a TPS "dongle" Grinning and see what your idle voltage is set at currently. They can be all over the place but I think around .60-.67 volts was the sweet spot on most bikes at idle. get one and fiddle around with it.

Post a reply to: 2018 KTM250SXF Help please!

The Latest