2018 KTM 150SX - Two Oil Drain Bolts

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2018 6:05 AM

Hey guys,
I feel pretty stupid posting this, I mean come on it’s an oil change, but this has me confused. Just picked up an 18 150sx and in the manual it looks like it has two drain bolts for the oil. Do I pick one, or do both and why the hell are there two bolts? Thanks in advance! Photo

|

9/27/2018 6:19 AM

Good question and don't feel stupid! haha There is indeed two oil drain bolts on the 125/150sx. I have an '18 150sx as well and it threw me for a loop. The left side one is magnetic and will drain 90% of the trans oil. Drain this side first. After the oil is done draining on this side, tighten the left side drain bolt and move to the right side and drain the remaining oil. Note that the right side drain bolt is not magnetic. The purpose of the right side drain bolt is to drain the little amount of oil trapped in the right side clutch case. I always torque these drain bolts to the correct torque (14.8 lb-ft for left and 11ish for the right).

On a side note, I run Motorex 15-50 and change every three rides or 4-5 hrs. The oil comes out clear and could easily go longer if needed. The clutch drive plates are coated with some special material and clutch material contamination is nonexistent which is awesome. I do run 850cc (50cc more than recommended) for piece of mind but it's not necessary. Enjoy you bike, I love my 150 and feel free to ask any questions!

|

9/27/2018 6:29 AM

DynoDan22 wrote:

Good question and don't feel stupid! haha There is indeed two oil drain bolts on the 125/150sx. I have an '18 150sx as well ...more

Good deal, thanks man!

|

9/27/2018 5:17 PM

DynoDan22 wrote:

Good question and don't feel stupid! haha There is indeed two oil drain bolts on the 125/150sx. I have an '18 150sx as well ...more

I know for use mortals it's not a big deal when we talk HP numbers, but running more oil will drain horsepower from your bike.

I was talking to the engine builder for Moto Concepts team and they did a test that came out roughly to something like every 100cc of oil they lost a HP on the dyno.

Not that it's world ending for you to run extra oil, but I was very surprised by their findings and learned that many, "race teams" that rebuild the engines every weekend run the minimal amount to get by which increases the HP for free.

On my 125, I've been running Maxima 10-40 because I find that it frees up my engine more because its being less viscid than heavier 15-50.

|

9/28/2018 1:44 AM

DynoDan22 wrote:

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I know for use mortals it's not a big deal when we talk HP numbers, but running more oil will drain horsepower from your bike. ...more

But your crank isn’t spinning oil like a 450 crf.

|

9/28/2018 5:41 AM

DynoDan22 wrote:

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I know for use mortals it's not a big deal when we talk HP numbers, but running more oil will drain horsepower from your bike. ...more

Jrewing wrote:

What lubricants the crank on a KTM?

|

9/28/2018 5:59 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

150 SX = 2-stroke, Joe. My guess would be Motorex cross power 2T.

tongue laughing

|

9/28/2018 6:22 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Jrewing wrote:

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Lol, premix!

|

9/28/2018 6:55 AM

Jrewing wrote:

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Joe_Nardozza wrote:

Lol, premix!

Dang, maybe that was a, “blonde” moment for me. I’ll facepalm myself now.

Do you think the different viscosity oil in the gears and clutch would effect power? Wondering if I should run the thicker oil? But 10-40 in a 4 stroke still lubes the tranny and clutch and it’s fine.

|

9/28/2018 7:17 AM

Thinner oil will help with windage (fluid drag) on the clutch basket which is true. But for my old and slow self, adding the extra 50cc's of oil to make sure the kickstart idler gear is well oiled is worth the trade off. haha Lie I said, not necessary, but I do it.

|

9/28/2018 6:01 PM

DynoDan22 wrote:

Thinner oil will help with windage (fluid drag) on the clutch basket which is true. But for my old and slow self, adding the ...more

Very true, Great when we learn something new, thanks dudes!

|

9/29/2018 2:57 AM

DynoDan22 wrote:

Thinner oil will help with windage (fluid drag) on the clutch basket which is true. But for my old and slow self, adding the ...more

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Very true, Great when we learn something new, thanks dudes!

Tbh people do increase the crank to case clearance to stop drag on high revving two strokes as well. so not too blonde... maybe highlights only.

|