2018 KTM 150SX Gear Oil Drain Plug

5/1/2018 7:55am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 3:50pm
Ok so I just bought this bike new and love it already but when I went to change the gearbox oil I encountered a slight problem/annoyance. The gear oil drain plug on the left side behind the shift lever (there are two drain plugs) is close to impossible to get a wrench on and is genuinely nerve racking because I feel I am not getting it tight enough and I'm afraid I will strip it out over time if I continue to use an open end wrench from an awkward angle like I have been. Anybody have this problem before? Any tips or special wrench I could buy?

|
DynoDan22
5/1/2018 9:01am
I have the same problem. I use a deep well socket and an extension, shift the bike up to second and hold the lever up and unscrew the drain bolt. Slightly annoying but I got used to it.
kb228
5/1/2018 9:02am
Take your shift lever off and use a socket. Might be able to push your shifter down to get a socket on.

My first tip was to use a ratcheting swivel head wrench. Not gonna get that on there with the other bolt next to it.

Poor design choice on KTMs side. At least for mechanics lol
AJ565
5/1/2018 9:04am
Hold the shift lever up or down and use a socket and extension is how I do it on my 250sx.

The Shop

macz400
5/1/2018 12:14pm
Ok so I just bought this bike new and love it already but when I went to change the gearbox oil I encountered a slight problem/annoyance...
Ok so I just bought this bike new and love it already but when I went to change the gearbox oil I encountered a slight problem/annoyance. The gear oil drain plug on the left side behind the shift lever (there are two drain plugs) is close to impossible to get a wrench on and is genuinely nerve racking because I feel I am not getting it tight enough and I'm afraid I will strip it out over time if I continue to use an open end wrench from an awkward angle like I have been. Anybody have this problem before? Any tips or special wrench I could buy?

Buy a 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14mm T-handles. Will make doing things on your KTM a hell of a lot easier. Or any other bike for that matter.
Bruneval
5/1/2018 2:55pm
You can also get a tool which allows you to drain the oil without making a mess. You tip the bike to the right, then replace the sump nut with the fixing and hose and then set the bike up straight and drain the oil directly into a container without getting it all over the frame and skid plate.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/1/2018 3:50pm
Bruneval wrote:
You can also get a tool which allows you to drain the oil without making a mess. You tip the bike to the right, then replace...
You can also get a tool which allows you to drain the oil without making a mess. You tip the bike to the right, then replace the sump nut with the fixing and hose and then set the bike up straight and drain the oil directly into a container without getting it all over the frame and skid plate.
Pretty cool!
Bruneval
5/1/2018 7:35pm
Bruneval wrote:
You can also get a tool which allows you to drain the oil without making a mess. You tip the bike to the right, then replace...
Pretty cool! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/01/258763/s1200_F2C940AB_C02B_412E_B84D_4F432503A09A.jpg[/img]
Pretty cool!
I know right. Got one on order. I changed the oil on mine for the first time the other day and got it all over the sump guard. Thought that there had to be an easier way to do it!

Post a reply to: 2018 KTM 150SX Gear Oil Drain Plug

The Latest