2018 Honda CRF450R Shock rebound adjuster keeps turning

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2018 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2018 8:13 PM

All,
I've been a long-time lurker on this website. Not only to follow the professional racing, but tech assistance too. Finally decided to join.

I purchased a 2018 CRF450R about 3 weeks ago. I changed the rear spring to accommodate my weight. Put everything back together and attempted to adjust the rebound and adjuster does nothing but turn.... No tightening, no clicks, nothing..

I didn't mess with any of the clickers before the spring change because I was breaking the bike in.

This bike has less than 5 hours and I'm totally bummed. Anyone have insight?

Thanks in advance.

|

3/12/2018 1:13 AM

Take it back to the dealership. A spring change is completely unrelaged to a clicker malfunction.

|

3/12/2018 4:57 AM

Rebound needle is broken. Same thing happened to mine. Jeremy from Evo Industries got mine fixed for super cheap. Photo

|

3/12/2018 6:46 AM

This is a common problem with the new Showa shocks. After you get it fixed be very careful adjusting rebound, the slightest force when fully closed, or full open can snap the weak aluminum needle.

|

3/12/2018 8:25 AM

I thought it could be a broken needle. I'm just surprised it happened with less than 5 hours. Never even adjusted, and the damn thing is already broken. I've been riding for 30 years (vet desert guy) and never had a problem with needles breaking.

I have a great suspension guy who can fix. However, seems if there's a recurring problem Honda should step up and repair on their nickel.

|

3/23/2018 12:17 PM

Just thought I'd post a follow-up.. The needle is broken and was likely broken from the factory. Honda is replacing as a warranty item.

|

4/28/2018 9:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/28/2018 9:37 AM

Hello,

I was adjusting mine this week, after some adjusting I was about to reset the clickers with the manual. But when I turn It clockwise it goes pretty far almost looks like The adjuster will pop out and when counting clickers as manual says 7-10 out and align with dots I get about 13clicks out when aligned. Is my rebound adjuster broken?

|

2/2/2019 5:15 PM

I just went to record my clickers and mine is doing the same thing. It will click going out but when you try to go back in no clicks and it just spins. sad

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

2/2/2019 5:39 PM

I have never worked on a shock but I do my forks and all other maintenance, is this something I could fix myself?

|

2/3/2019 9:40 AM

IMO shocks are more simple than forks. So I would guess that you're up to the task. Be very thorough when bleeding the shock and you'll need to have the nitrogen filled afterward. Otherwise it's not that big of a deal. YouTube is your friend for stuff like this.

|

2/4/2019 11:17 AM

Same thing happened to me in a 2017
The quality of the materials in last gen CRF’s is far from what i would expect of Honda

I already cut 3 bolts using a torque wrench

|

2/5/2019 6:32 PM

Really sucks Honda doesn’t sell just this needle. I would have this fixed in ten minutes and be riding this weekend. I have no idea if mine has been broken for awhile and I just didn’t notice.
Photo
Photo

|

2/6/2019 7:10 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Really sucks Honda doesn’t sell just this needle. I would have this fixed in ten minutes and be riding this weekend. I have no idea if mine has been broken for awhile and I just didn’t notice.
Photo
Photo

Call Suspension Direct in Lake Elsinore. They show several needles in stock for other bikes at about $15 but sometimes they have parts in stock that aren't on the website. I needed a '19 450 shock body last week and it was there when I called.

|

2/6/2019 11:11 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Photo
Photo

slipdog wrote:

Call Suspension Direct in Lake Elsinore. They show several needles in stock for other bikes at about $15 but sometimes they have parts in stock that aren't on the website. I needed a '19 450 shock body last week and it was there when I called.

They have the entire shaft for $179 in stock but said they’d have to order the needle from showa and it would take months.

|

2/6/2019 11:33 AM

Racetech and FC have heard of the issue but do not stock the parts either. Pro Circuit got my info and is going to call me back but I’m sure it will be the same deal. Might just make a trip down to SDI, buy the shaft and clevis from them and have them put it back together and filled with nitrogen/oil and worst case I have an extra clevis. I wish somebody made an aftermarket clevis like they did for the 2015-2016 CRF450 to fix this I would buy it in a heartbeat.

|

2/6/2019 11:37 AM

Thanks slipdog! I had an SDI elbow shrader valve to fill the forks on my 2015 and had no idea they had a facility in SoCal.

|

2/11/2019 9:48 PM

Don't know if anybody has noticed this but the part number for the 2019 rod/clevis is different from 17-18. Did Showa address this for 19? If so I guess it's worth it to get the 19 rod and clevis.

|

2/23/2019 6:29 PM

Finally got it fixed. Apparently Showa did address this issue in 19 which is the shaft SDI fortunately had in stock. Big thanks to Cody and everyone over there for the help. The clicker on this shaft feels way more consistent and durable. I was able to fix this myself and was also my first time ever taking a shock apart. I’d also like to thank Manny at ASAP Powersports for the Nitrogen. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/1/2019 11:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 11:35 AM

Hi, this is Hendrik from The Netherlands.

I have stumbled upon the exact same issue as you have had. I literally adjusted the screw 3 times before it broke. Unbelievable.

You said Showa confirmed this issue. Did Honda replaced parts for free in your case? What you advice how to get this fixed?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Hendrik

|