2018 CRF450 Electrical Issue?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/23/2020 12:32 AM

Hey guys, I’m trying to see if there is someone out there who can begin to help me out with the strangest problem I’ve ever run into with a bike. I just picked up a used 2018 CRF450 locally and after cleaning it up and putting a few parts on it I have taken it out a few times and had an issue I’ve never had before. A week ago, I hit a 85 foot table and went about 100 on it (oops) and it was a pretty good overshoot. I’m an A class (washed up) rider and although I was long it wasn’t some out of control huge problem. But instantly after I landed I noticed the bike began to run very rough and I pulled of the side of the track to take a look at the issue, and the bike eventually just died. Not a stall, but idled down to a stop. I tried to restart the bike and it was completely stone dead. Okay. So I used a small hand held booster pack and got the bike running again, but as soon as I would remove the booster, the bike would again die after roughly a minute. I had a friend who has the identical bike let me borrow his Battery to finish my day and never had any more issues. That evening I took the bike home and put a battery tender on it and let it sit for approximately 5 days and tonight decided to go ride again. The bike ran amazing, but again this time hit a fairly large open double and had a pretty harsh landing. Pulled in for a drink of water, went to go back out a few minutes later and to my surprise.. the damn thing will not start. Stone dead again. So now I’ve began to piece together that each time I have a harsh impact I notice the bike will die shortly after. I called my friend and again borrowed his battery to finish riding tonight because I had assumed after some reading that this battery from my bike is no good and his was fine. Well son of a bitch we started having some fun off of a table in the back and I landed a little deep once again (I know at this point I sound sketchy) and now the spare battery I am using dies! I couldn’t believe it, these are both stock 2018 CRF450 batteries that are $355 USD to replace and I’ve managed to create a problem with both of them. And the problem is almost always created after a hard impact. I did clean the bike up and put some parts and custom work on it that I’m thinking somewhere I’ve created my own problem and I’m just not catching it. I pulled both the inner clutch cover as well as the ignition cover and vapor blasted them myself, but re attached everything in the correct fashion. I’ve also added an ARC RC8 Clutch perch which meant I needed to take the wires that connect standard to the oem clutch perch, and put them together in the harness to use an aftermarket perch. I checked this connection, and taped it up to try to ensure it was solid. I like to consider myself fairly mechanically inclined with bikes as I’ve rebuilt tons of them but man, I don’t even know where to begin with this one? Please help 😞 Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/23/2020 7:53 AM

Sounds like something in your wiring is loose. I’d check all the connections and ground wires.

Make sure there’s no water in the connections. I’ve heard of the kill switch can go bad. You can disconnect to test.

|

8/26/2020 9:04 AM

The kill switch issue usually the bike bogs and dies, then if you sit there and play with the switch it will fire back up but any hard bounces or shakes it shuts off again. At least on mine that was the issue. The battery’s losing charge would be something else I would think. Mine was 17 kick start model though. The kill switch are a big problem on these I always covered mine when washing.

|

Thank you,
Fly Racing, WPS, Dt-1, Mika Metals, Maxima, 100%, Motostuff, Factory Connection, Evs