2018 250sxf oil screen bolt stripped.

BlairYZ250
Went to change the oil on my bike and I could not get the bolt for the oil screen by the shifter. I ended up rounding it off. What can I do? I'm literally so pissed off at this bike. I swear the bolts are made out of plastic. I called dealership and they don't even want to mess with it.
|
mx317
9/11/2018 12:15pm
Tap it lightly (which often loosens the threads grip) and then see if you can get some pliers on it. If you can't I have used a chisel and got a notch on the edge in the direction of being loosened and tap it there. Be gentle and don't just wail on it and it may turn loose. It only torques at 11 ft/lbs so it may have been overtightened at the last oil change.
GaryC1
9/11/2018 12:19pm
Did you just pick the bike up and this is your first service? I bought a used FC250 and that same bolt was on insanely tight but i used a deep impact socket to get it off. I also rounded the magnetic drain bolt after i tried to use an open ended spanner but then swapped to a close ended and came out easy peasy.

For your problem i would definitely tey and get a deep impact on there the next socket size down, hammer it on good and go from there. If that fails try and weld something to the bolt that would give you leverage to remove the bolt
BlairYZ250
9/11/2018 1:01pm
GaryC1 wrote:
Did you just pick the bike up and this is your first service? I bought a used FC250 and that same bolt was on insanely tight...
Did you just pick the bike up and this is your first service? I bought a used FC250 and that same bolt was on insanely tight but i used a deep impact socket to get it off. I also rounded the magnetic drain bolt after i tried to use an open ended spanner but then swapped to a close ended and came out easy peasy.

For your problem i would definitely tey and get a deep impact on there the next socket size down, hammer it on good and go from there. If that fails try and weld something to the bolt that would give you leverage to remove the bolt
Yeah I got it off a buddy. Figured I'd change the oil and this happens..
GaryC1
9/11/2018 2:06pm
GaryC1 wrote:
Did you just pick the bike up and this is your first service? I bought a used FC250 and that same bolt was on insanely tight...

BlairYZ250 wrote:
Yeah I got it off a buddy. Figured I'd change the oil and this happens..
I know the feelin bud but youll get it off one way or another. Have a go at the prevoous suggestions and if still no luck get it to a machine or fab shop and theyll get it out no problem. Get the oil drained for the magnetic bolt first though so if they do get it out then you dont have to worry about oil going everywhere.

Also, dont let it hold you back from riding. The magnetic bolt is the more important one as its lower and catches the filings so if needs be get her drained, filled and take her a rip! Good luck mate

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/11/2018 10:32pm
Can you cut a slot in it with a dremel and use an impact screw driver to break it loose?

It’s not a big deal to take those out either way even if you can get it off. I only clean mine ever 2-3 oil changes.
kb228
9/12/2018 8:41am
Autozone sells a socket set that grips onto rounded bolts like what you have. They work great and i think it was only $20/$30?

Post a reply to: 2018 250sxf oil screen bolt stripped.

The Latest