2017 rmz450 air to spring conversion kit?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2018 7:53 PM

Okay so I bought my '17 last year and had the air forks up until this spring. I took forks and shock to a local suspension guy and had him do the conversion kit, leave stock springs as I weigh about 180pnds with all my gear on and revalve to A class rider. Well I've talked to him and not really gotten anywhere but they feel great on big hits and wont bottom but are extremely stiff through breaking bumps, acceleration bumps. They're not real plush on the mid stroke. Really stiff and aren't much better when I'm pushing hard. I'm needing some info or maybe what I can do here to get a more plush feeling in the mid stroke?

|

9/27/2018 8:23 PM

Forgot to mention, I can crank the preload spring out and get it to feel good on breaking bumps and such but feels horrid on big hits and will bottom. Even if i max compression on the left. But if i go a turn at a time on the spring it goes from bottoming out to extremely harsh on mid stroke. Idk what the deal is. I love the bike but the suspension is fighting me. Meanwhile a rm250 I had done from a different local guy feels awesome. If not I can have it perfect with a few clicks. Idk if it's a known issue? Or if it's the guy I had do them or what.

|

9/27/2018 10:11 PM

Only air to spring conversion I felt was decent was racetechs. This was on My buddies bike My rmz450 ended up with a set of kyb sss off a 2009 yz250f and thru on some suzuki billet lugs on them. This was still cheaper than messing with a spring conversion. Dual springs is the way to go.

|

9/28/2018 5:45 AM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Only air to spring conversion I felt was decent was racetechs. This was on My buddies bike My rmz450 ended up with a set of kyb sss off a 2009 yz250f and thru on some suzuki billet lugs on them. This was still cheaper than messing with a spring conversion. Dual springs is the way to go.

Yeah after the conversion and fighting with them for half the year I'm regretting it. I just want sure if it was me or if they were just a dick to get right

|

9/28/2018 6:06 AM

Get a dual spring set up. I tried the single side spring conversion on my 17 KTM and that was horrible. It screwed up the frontend balance of the bike.

So get a set of normal older springforks, Öhlins cartridges or full Öhlins forks etc...

|

9/28/2018 6:28 AM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Only air to spring conversion I felt was decent was racetechs. This was on My buddies bike My rmz450 ended up with a set of kyb sss off a 2009 yz250f and thru on some suzuki billet lugs on them. This was still cheaper than messing with a spring conversion. Dual springs is the way to go.

Mocaby_24 wrote:

Yeah after the conversion and fighting with them for half the year I'm regretting it. I just want sure if it was me or if they were just a dick to get right

I know someone that's got a couple of sweet RMZ A-kits for sale....cool

|

9/28/2018 7:49 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Only air to spring conversion I felt was decent was racetechs. This was on My buddies bike My rmz450 ended up with a set of kyb sss off a 2009 yz250f and thru on some suzuki billet lugs on them. This was still cheaper than messing with a spring conversion. Dual springs is the way to go.

Mocaby_24 wrote:

Yeah after the conversion and fighting with them for half the year I'm regretting it. I just want sure if it was me or if they were just a dick to get right

I love my suzuki. I will never give it up now. I also learned to valve both shock and forks myself. Not too bad. Also I had to use a 56mm a kit top clamp or you can bore the stocker

|

9/28/2018 8:28 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

I love my suzuki. I will never give it up now. I also learned to valve both shock and forks myself. Not too bad. Also I had to use a 56mm a kit top clamp or you can bore the stocker

That's my issue. I love the bike but the suspension makes me hate it and ride my rm250 more. I wish ida just bought A kit forks instead of the conversion. Itd been a little more but money ahead.

|

9/29/2018 5:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 6:00 AM

Mocaby_24 wrote:

Yeah after the conversion and fighting with them for half the year I'm regretting it. I just want sure if it was me or if they were just a dick to get right

coastlinecascot wrote:

I love my suzuki. I will never give it up now. I also learned to valve both shock and forks myself. Not too bad. Also I had to use a 56mm a kit top clamp or you can bore the stocker

Mocaby_24 wrote:

That's my issue. I love the bike but the suspension makes me hate it and ride my rm250 more. I wish ida just bought A kit forks instead of the conversion. Itd been a little more but money ahead.

There is a suspension guy here in ca that told me he can get the spring ssf working great. He was the one who changed my fork lugs. It does sound like your shim stack is too soft. You might want to crack open them and see what's there.

|

9/30/2018 4:14 PM

Really happy with my SFF conversion and racetech valving. Not as plush as the ohlins I had for a while but still daylight ahead of the airfork

|

10/9/2018 11:09 AM

I just installed a PC Spring conversion in my 16 KX450... night and day better, its a totally different bike in the corners! I had to guess a little on the oil height and I initially went a little low so it would go through the stroke a little to quickly. It has been great on small chop and on bigger hits... I do not have any complaints at all and would do it again or recommend anyone to do it!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/11/2018 9:54 AM

bvm111 wrote:

I just installed a PC Spring conversion in my 16 KX450... night and day better, its a totally different bike in the corners! I had to guess a little on the oil height and I initially went a little low so it would go through the stroke a little to quickly. It has been great on small chop and on bigger hits... I do not have any complaints at all and would do it again or recommend anyone to do it!

Mine are great for big hits and wont bottom out but small bumps it's either to harsh or blows through them. Same with whoops the front end is everywhere even pointing where I wanna go. I'd say maybe it was me but we've got a 2012 rmz with the forks done same valving set for 220lbs and its 10x more plush than mine. And resist bottoming out also. Mines set for 170lbs.

|

10/19/2018 2:14 PM

Had the k-tech spring conversion on My 16 kxf worst feeling ever. Rode 2 practices then took it out, the front end felt heavy and weird. Best combo i had on the tac fork was glide kit and mx- tech tac r.

|