2017 Ktm 250 sx long term reports

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2017 2:00 PM

Thinking about picking up a 2018 sx 250, I have read through most of the threads regarding the 2017, just wanting to hear from owners of the 17 to see how they held up. Do not anticipate major changes to the 18 model over the 17. Has anyone seen an 18 250 sx yet?

|

7/12/2017 6:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2017 6:35 PM

My 17 has had no major issues. Had the engine ported up and it screams along. Putting in my third piston this weekend (not really needed). Got 28 hours on it, should have 50 before the seasons end. Bike is definitely holding up better than my body.

|

7/12/2017 6:32 PM

I sold mine with 13.6 hours. Overall liked the bike just missed my 450. I'd rate durability lowers than a Honda for sure though, that's what I'm used to. Bent front axle in a small crash, broken airbox from getting clipped by another bike. Rode great but don't take a hit very well IMHO

|

7/13/2017 7:05 AM

Only thing on mine that has gone wrong is broken foot peg springs. The weird part is I was washing the bike and found both of them broken. The good news is I got 4 new ones for like 5 bucks.

|

7/13/2017 8:52 AM

Around 16 hours on my '17 TC250. So far so good.

My '14 KTM 150SX has 75 hours being ridden as hard as I can muster and it's still in great shape. Hoping for the same out of the TC.

|

7/13/2017 10:05 AM

I'm not new to Ktm"s, I've had 3 Xc 300"s & love them, all over 100 hrs plus....the have some quirks, mainly jetting...but o/all these bikes can take some abuse & I think they hold up well. I found myself riding my 2015 Xc 300 more at moto tracks than woods lately, so I figured why not just get an Sx 250... I enjoy switching back to the 2 strokes every now & then, I think it's brings your intensity up and you are forced to ride more aggressive....what have you guys settled on for jetting? I have read MXA"s claim that 60:1 solves the jetting issues, anyone running 60:1?

|

7/13/2017 7:45 PM

I ran mine 60:1 with motorex oil and it ran great, never gave me any issues.

|

7/14/2017 1:17 AM

LeMay_848 wrote:

I ran mine 60:1 with motorex oil and it ran great, never gave me any issues.

Wow, I run my 2 stroke 32:1. Am I doing it wrong?

|

7/14/2017 4:04 AM

I run mine at 32:1 and it runs great. I jetted accordingly for this ratio and it's all good.

|

7/14/2017 5:11 AM

LeMay_848 wrote:

I ran mine 60:1 with motorex oil and it ran great, never gave me any issues.

Turbojez wrote:

Wow, I run my 2 stroke 32:1. Am I doing it wrong?

This response is getting old. Different oils require different ratios. Plus I guarantee the new EFI 2 strokes with oil injection will range from 60:1 to 100:1 depending on rpm and not have a single issue. Same as a boat or snowmobile 2 stroke.

|

7/14/2017 6:34 AM

Old habits die hard, especially for 2 stroke owners! If I buy a new 250 SX I will go with the recommended 60:1 and see how it runs....

|

7/14/2017 10:18 AM

I just called today and motorbikes plus in NH has leftover new '17s for $7000 otd. I would be getting one today if my Harley was paid off! Just a heads up since he said he just got 4 in.

|

7/14/2017 3:19 PM

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

|

7/14/2017 3:38 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

Was your 15 any good? ....maybe they mixed gas at 32:1...

|

7/14/2017 3:53 PM

That's a good price at 7k otd. Wouldn't worry about the jetting. Mix how you Iike and jet accordingly

|

7/14/2017 4:10 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

That bad?
I have a 17 put in the JD Jet kit, red spring 2 Dolly turns in and put a 304 silencer on....runs great a little lean ( hanging idle) but I really like it....better than my 350 .

|

7/14/2017 4:17 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

opyguy wrote:

That bad?
I have a 17 put in the JD Jet kit, red spring 2 Dolly turns in and put a 304 silencer on....runs great a little lean ( hanging idle) but I really like it....better than my 350 .

Mind sharing your JD specs (pilot/needle color+clip/Main jet)?
I have a 17TC250.
Best I got so far is 40PJ, stock needle clip#1 and 450 main. tad lean too but clip#2 is way too rich with a real bad mid-range rich spot.
Could not see real improvement from clip#3 (stock) to 2

|

7/14/2017 4:23 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

Someone took the time to sent me a pic of the 18 250SX manual jetting specs page.
Same as 17 so not surprised
100+ pages on KTM UK forum, can't count the hundreds on ktmtalk between the different jetting related threads (JD kit /stock jetting/etc..)
My 13 250SX was running fantastic but suspension and chassis were just OK.
Now on the 17 the chassis is top notch but the engine not so... Go figure

|

7/14/2017 5:46 PM

east coast sea level, stock jetting was way too rich...went to a 40 pilot still too rich. BTW I run 60:1 w/motorex per manual
Bot jd jet kit, bike ran great, added pc silencer and bike now has a bit of a lean transition when coming off throttle (hanging idle./surge...like petcock off). I went from 3 clips to 3 1/2, going to try 4 in a few weeks...as it is now bike runs awesome, just the off throttle surge has me worried/irritated. May go to a 35 pilot, but the current 32.5 works great (choke, 1 kick fires right up)
let me know what works for you....

|

7/15/2017 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 2:01 PM

opyguy wrote:

east coast sea level, stock jetting was way too rich...went to a 40 pilot still too rich. BTW I run 60:1 w/motorex per manual
Bot jd jet kit, bike ran great, added pc silencer and bike now has a bit of a lean transition when coming off throttle (hanging idle./surge...like petcock off). I went from 3 clips to 3 1/2, going to try 4 in a few weeks...as it is now bike runs awesome, just the off throttle surge has me worried/irritated. May go to a 35 pilot, but the current 32.5 works great (choke, 1 kick fires right up)
let me know what works for you....

Did you use the blue needle?
Jd kit has a 32.5 pilot all across the board for this kit and main 430 I believe for sea level with little sizes change to accommodate altitude variation.
Im surprised you're going to clip 3.5 or 4 as it was already way too rich for me at clip 2. But since you mentioned a lean transition it is the logic direction .
On my TC at sea level the blue needle is just way too rich.

|

7/15/2017 12:03 PM

opyguy wrote:

That bad?
I have a 17 put in the JD Jet kit, red spring 2 Dolly turns in and put a 304 silencer on....runs great a little lean ( hanging idle) but I really like it....better than my 350 .

..Really? Like better than the 350, eh? Can you elaborate?

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

7/15/2017 7:20 PM

opyguy wrote:

east coast sea level, stock jetting was way too rich...went to a 40 pilot still too rich. BTW I run 60:1 w/motorex per manual
Bot jd jet kit, bike ran great, added pc silencer and bike now has a bit of a lean transition when coming off throttle (hanging idle./surge...like petcock off). I went from 3 clips to 3 1/2, going to try 4 in a few weeks...as it is now bike runs awesome, just the off throttle surge has me worried/irritated. May go to a 35 pilot, but the current 32.5 works great (choke, 1 kick fires right up)
let me know what works for you....

mxstate wrote:

Did you use the blue needle?
Jd kit has a 32.5 pilot all across the board for this kit and main 430 I believe for sea level with little sizes change to accommodate altitude variation.
Im surprised you're going to clip 3.5 or 4 as it was already way too rich for me at clip 2. But since you mentioned a lean transition it is the logic direction .
On my TC at sea level the blue needle is just way too rich.

Yes blue needle
Crazy, I'm at sea level too, red works for you and blue too rich for me.
I'm away for 2 weeks, but going to run blue on 4th clip when I get back, maybe a 35 pilot too, will let you know if that works for me

|

7/15/2017 8:12 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

You must be a terrible test rider if you think the 15 and 17+ feel anything alike

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/16/2017 1:29 AM

I will be buying a 2018 TC250 when they land in Australia in August. Haven't been able to find any threads on major flaws aside from the jetting problems. But it seems the JD Jetting kit solves that relatively easily. The only other thing that I can see that comes up almost consistently is the rear brake return spring breaks fairly often, which is solved by a clevis spring kit.

|

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_


7/16/2017 4:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2017 4:57 AM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

BobPA wrote:

You must be a terrible test rider if you think the 15 and 17+ feel anything alike

Funny the next guy pulled in an said the same thing as well as saying his 14 would smoke that particular 18. He was a vet a and I'm vet b. So yeah bubpa I'm a terrible test rider. Feel good to insult people?

|

7/16/2017 6:22 AM

dedi684 wrote:

Rode an 18 today at Southwick. Felt like my 2015 and the jetting sucked as well.

opyguy wrote:

That bad?
I have a 17 put in the JD Jet kit, red spring 2 Dolly turns in and put a 304 silencer on....runs great a little lean ( hanging idle) but I really like it....better than my 350 .

Superdave19 wrote:

..Really? Like better than the 350, eh? Can you elaborate?

I was coming rom a 13 350sxf, never got a chance tot ry the new generation (16-17) 350sxf.
the 250 is much faster in the corner for me, much easier to flick around. Also, the 250 has some "pop" in the low end, again helps me in corners...my 350 had no bottom end whatsoever and was like a tank in tight corners...down straights the 350 wins hands down, thing pulled forever, again the main thing for me was weight, also the 250 is just way more fun to ride. Keep in mind I'm a 50 year old shitty vet rider, may race 2-3 times a year for fun (southwick, crow hill etc)
hope that helps.
Also, FWIW, my dealer told me the jd kit works great for woods but he feels its a little lean for mx (northeast)

|

7/16/2017 7:13 AM

opyguy wrote:

That bad?
I have a 17 put in the JD Jet kit, red spring 2 Dolly turns in and put a 304 silencer on....runs great a little lean ( hanging idle) but I really like it....better than my 350 .

Superdave19 wrote:

..Really? Like better than the 350, eh? Can you elaborate?

opyguy wrote:

I was coming rom a 13 350sxf, never got a chance tot ry the new generation (16-17) 350sxf.
the 250 is much faster in the corner for me, much easier to flick around. Also, the 250 has some "pop" in the low end, again helps me in corners...my 350 had no bottom end whatsoever and was like a tank in tight corners...down straights the 350 wins hands down, thing pulled forever, again the main thing for me was weight, also the 250 is just way more fun to ride. Keep in mind I'm a 50 year old shitty vet rider, may race 2-3 times a year for fun (southwick, crow hill etc)
hope that helps.
Also, FWIW, my dealer told me the jd kit works great for woods but he feels its a little lean for mx (northeast)

Same here same tracks 43 vet b. Always been a 2 stroke rider for the same reasons. the 350 surprised me. I want both! My annoyance with the jetting quirks and less shifting would make me ride the 350. The 250 smoker I feel comfortable right away but then the little things bother me. Glad to have choices.

|

7/16/2017 8:21 AM

Just watched the video on the 2018 FI gas and oil here on Vital and they answered the age old what ratio question ...... they average 80:1 with the injection.

Am I understanding the SX is still going to be carbureted?

|

7/16/2017 10:00 AM

Yep '18 SXs will be carby. TPI bikes will be very limited supposedly.

|

7/16/2017 2:13 PM

Airboy808 wrote:

Yep '18 SXs will be carby. TPI bikes will be very limited supposedly.

Thats to bad. Would like to see what a 2 stroke felt like with no delay in response.

|