2017 KTM 150SX problem

latech
4/24/2017 4:32pm
I just recently bought a used 2017 KTM 150sx and have ran into some issues that I think is not normal for this bike, it kick starts on first kick and idles perfectly but what I'v noticed is that in 1st and 2nd gear it seems to almost hit a rev limiter and never engage the power-valve is this normal for these bikes.It does hit the power-valve in the later gearing but from my understanding it should hit it in every gear at a certain RPM. I'v cleaned the carb and checked the reed valve plus the jetting is set to stock. The altitude here is 400ft above sea level..Compression was good in the top end as well and new gas was used too. Carb specs- IJ=45, needle=43-74,needle pos=3, MJ=470 Any ideas out there on further troubleshooting this?
|
4/24/2017 4:53pm
Have you inspected the power valve engagement arms? Check the archives for that info on VITAL MX forum.
jlv148
4/24/2017 7:50pm
My 2013 150sx was having similar problems revving out. I fooled around with jetting and reeds trying to fix it but it turned out it just needed a new top end. The old piston didn't look very worn at all.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/24/2017 11:28pm
There's a black cover on each side of the cylinder, you can take them off and see if the power valve arms are moving. I'd start there to see if they are sticking.

If that moves freely, check the reeds for gaps. If you hold them up to light and there's light shining through, that could cause many power problems.
latech
4/25/2017 2:42pm
Thanks guys! When I get a chance I'll check the power valve linkage and take the reeds out again.When I took the reeds out they are carbon fiber and looked in great shape plus flush with the hold.I wouldn't think the top end would be bad it has only 14 hrs on it but lets hope its not anyways.

The Shop

latech
4/25/2017 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 3:58pm
There's a black cover on each side of the cylinder, you can take them off and see if the power valve arms are moving. I'd start...
There's a black cover on each side of the cylinder, you can take them off and see if the power valve arms are moving. I'd start there to see if they are sticking.

If that moves freely, check the reeds for gaps. If you hold them up to light and there's light shining through, that could cause many power problems.
Correct me if I'm wrong but to check the power valve arms I'll have to pop the arm off the linkage in which case will allow it to freely move.Just took the case off and noticed some oil on the inside is this normal?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/25/2017 5:49pm
There's a black cover on each side of the cylinder, you can take them off and see if the power valve arms are moving. I'd start...

latech wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but to check the power valve arms I'll have to pop the arm off the linkage in which case will allow...
Correct me if I'm wrong but to check the power valve arms I'll have to pop the arm off the linkage in which case will allow it to freely move.Just took the case off and noticed some oil on the inside is this normal?
I had some oil in there. Not a crazy amount but there was some.
Paw Paw 271
4/27/2017 11:08am
It is a design issue and the above shown parts will fix the issue.

Paw Paw
latech
4/27/2017 7:59pm
It is a design issue and the above shown parts will fix the issue.

Paw Paw
Also i was wondering are the control drum part # 11 on the exhaust control diagram somewhat restricted In movement or are they suppose to easily turn no problem? Mind that I have everything out and all I have in is control drum
hassbeen
Fantasy
3761st
4/28/2017 1:31am
Might be totally off the mark here, but are you sure it's not worn clutch plate problem?. Can also appear not to produce the right amount of drive although bike revs out.

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM 150SX problem

The Latest