2017 Husqvarna FC350 Piston

jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 10:01am
I am looking at putting a top end in my bike this and looked up the cost of a replacement OEM piston is ~$400. Is the OEM piston kit worth it or should I look at something like a Wiseco. I have about 30 hours of hard mx on the bike.
|
Acidreamer
11/7/2017 9:09am
to my knowledge the oem pistons in those are cp carillo pistons - very high quality. Higher than wiseco. By how much i cant say. Wiseco, cp, or je are all solid choices for any bike tho. Just dont buy cast ones.
Melicar
11/7/2017 9:42am
Acidreamer wrote:
to my knowledge the oem pistons in those are cp carillo pistons - very high quality. Higher than wiseco. By how much i cant say. Wiseco...
to my knowledge the oem pistons in those are cp carillo pistons - very high quality. Higher than wiseco. By how much i cant say. Wiseco, cp, or je are all solid choices for any bike tho. Just dont buy cast ones.
Just curious, which cast pistons should I avoid for my 4-stroke? asking for a friend...
ktm-5
11/7/2017 3:55pm
I would avoid all the cast ones. I've seen vertex separate from the wrist pin holding on a few bikes. I think 30 hours may be a little premature, have u done a leak down test? I know the manual for the 250sxf says 50hrs for top end. I feel oem is best but you can't go wrong with je either
Melicar
11/7/2017 5:32pm
I've seen pretty much every brand of piston have some type of failure, but for the record Vertex pistons are forged.

The Shop

ktm-5
11/7/2017 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2017 5:53pm
Melicar wrote:
I've seen pretty much every brand of piston have some type of failure, but for the record Vertex pistons are forged.
True but I've seen and heard more on vertex which is why I mentioned them and for the record I didn't say they were cast but I can see how u misinterpret what I was saying.
Acidreamer
11/8/2017 1:26am
Acidreamer wrote:
to my knowledge the oem pistons in those are cp carillo pistons - very high quality. Higher than wiseco. By how much i cant say. Wiseco...
Melicar wrote:
Just curious, which cast pistons should I avoid for my 4-stroke? asking for a friend...
Any of them. All of them. Zero reason to use castings when forged ones are available.
Melicar
11/8/2017 5:38am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 5:38am
Acidreamer wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
Any of them. All of them. Zero reason to use castings when forged ones are available.
Still waiting for the list of cast 4 stroke pistons.
Acidreamer
11/8/2017 6:07am
Melicar wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Are you some kind of troll? Japenese oem pistons are cast, prox pistons are cast. Youre wording it like theres no such thing as cast pistons on 4 strokes.
Fearo
11/8/2017 7:34am
Vertex makes the OEM KTM 2-stroke pistons and TONS of race teams use them in their 4-strokes. I would not hesitate to use them one second on a 4-stroke, I have been using them in my 2-strokes for 10+ years.

Someone on here that is a mechanic or works in a dealership (don't remember) said he put Pro-X pistons at the top of his list in terms of quality.. They are also one of the cheapest, at least around here.
zeikei
11/8/2017 10:19am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 10:20am
Melicar wrote:
I can start the list, two can be found from the ProX web site Smile

"Cast genuine 4 stroke pistons are used in relatively low performing engines like the Honda XR400R or Yamaha XT600"

http://www.pro-x.com/genuine-pistons/
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
57th
11/8/2017 11:05am
Dude I have a 17 KTM 350 and 30 hours is way early for a piston in that bike, it's way before the service interval at 50. I did mine at 60 and the mechanic said I should do about 80. All those hours were hard mx with a 180lb B rider. I rev the piss out of the thing too so mine should be worse case scenario.
dirtmike86
11/8/2017 12:00pm
Did my 16 ktm 350 at 75 hrs of mx riding. Still looked really good. Just some wear on the skirts.
Melicar
11/8/2017 1:16pm
zeikei wrote:
I can start the list, two can be found from the ProX web site :) "Cast genuine 4 stroke pistons are used in relatively low performing...

"Cast genuine 4 stroke pistons are used in relatively low performing engines like the Honda XR400R or Yamaha XT600"

Oops, my bad, I missed the part where the op said he had a XT600.

For some reason I thought we were talking about real racing bikes where your link says "motocross and ATV applications use forged 4 stroke pistons as the cylinder pressure has risen. Forged genuine pistons are stronger, the alloy is pushed under extreme pressure to a form." Tongue
Acidreamer
11/8/2017 2:02pm
zeikei wrote:
I can start the list, two can be found from the ProX web site :) "Cast genuine 4 stroke pistons are used in relatively low performing...

Melicar wrote:
Oops, my bad, I missed the part where the op said he had a XT600. For some reason I thought we were talking about real racing...

For some reason I thought we were talking about real racing bikes where your link says "motocross and ATV applications use forged 4 stroke pistons as the cylinder pressure has risen. Forged genuine pistons are stronger, the alloy is pushed under extreme pressure to a form." Tongue
Here

Heres an fc350 piston that is cast from prox.
aees
11/8/2017 2:55pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
Kind of agree, why use a cast? KTM use forged. Japs and pistons are not a good reference. Kawi stock piston should be replaced at 20h.

Only downside with forged, is that i have not been able to find 3pp like Wiseco with different sizes. Seems only cast is available in "A,B,C".
zeikei
11/9/2017 8:37am
Melicar wrote:
Oops, my bad, I missed the part where the op said he had a XT600. For some reason I thought we were talking about real racing...

To be precise you asked "which cast pistons should I avoid for my 4-stroke" so the op bike was not the criteria Wink

Anyway we both talk about the same thing, modern 4-stroke mx bike pistons are almost always forged whereas 2-stroke pistons are either cast or forged depending on manufacturer. I know a link was posted above to a site which claims to sell cast FC350 ProX piston but I wonder if that is true since ProX piston catalog only lists forged piston for FC350.

Acidreamer
11/9/2017 9:37am
Melicar wrote:

zeikei wrote:
To be precise you asked [i]"which cast pistons should I avoid for my 4-stroke"[/i] so the op bike was not the criteria ;) Anyway we both...
To be precise you asked "which cast pistons should I avoid for my 4-stroke" so the op bike was not the criteria Wink

Anyway we both talk about the same thing, modern 4-stroke mx bike pistons are almost always forged whereas 2-stroke pistons are either cast or forged depending on manufacturer. I know a link was posted above to a site which claims to sell cast FC350 ProX piston but I wonder if that is true since ProX piston catalog only lists forged piston for FC350.

This argument is stupid as shit. Completely hijacked this guys thread.
Melicar
11/9/2017 10:01am
Acidreamer wrote:
This argument is stupid as shit. Completely hijacked this guys thread.

Post a reply to: 2017 Husqvarna FC350 Piston

The Latest