2017 FC350 break in

Pirate421
9/8/2017 12:10pm
Looking for anyone with some first hand experience. I searched and didn't really find what I was looking for and I don't want to turn this into an oil thread. I've been riding for 20 years but this is my first new 4 stroke. Vet b speed, mx on sand tracks.

Question is, I rode the bike for the first hour at the track at about 50-70%. Shifting, engine braking, putting a load on the engine, no rev limiter...all that good stuff. Came home dumped the oil and filter and changed to 15/40 rotella. Dealer hooked me up with some synthetic motorex but said to run Dino for first 8 hrs. I'm cool with that but all they had was 10/40.

So I'm at 3 hrs now and about to change oil for the second time and am assuming break in is about complete and want to ride at 100%. Is the 10/40 or 15/40 rotella ok to run for high load sand track ( I'm not a rev limiter rider). I know the manual specs 10/50 or 10/60 and is it still too early to run the motorex? I've read a bunch of break in stuff but it's all over the place any input is appreciated.
|
Acidreamer
9/8/2017 1:10pm
I think youre going to get all over the place answers here too man. Personally when i ride with a new motor i go about 3-5 hours or 2/3 oil changes and then rip. Ive never had problems doing it that way but others are going to disagree.

I run 10/40 full synthetic (maxima or amsoil) all the time. Even on fresh rebuilds. Never had issues.

if you want to do it the "right way," follow the owners manual for your bike.
Pirate421
9/8/2017 1:17pm
Thanks for the reply. Yea I guess the manual it is. The only thing the book says is ride at no More than 70% throttle for the first three hours.
Every ktm dealer I've been too has always contradicted the manual and told me to do otherwise regarding break in and routine maintenance. But the dealers never agree with each other. I guess the one thing they all agree on is that they don't agree with the manual haha
walent215
9/8/2017 1:22pm
Your fine with either oil at this point...Dino oil is great! I would dump it after 1 sand track ride tho..
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/8/2017 2:50pm
I've been running Rotella from the start after engine rebuilds. My engine guy says everything looks great and keep doing what I'm doing(oil change every 3/4 rides and filter every ride). I use Rotella 10/30 in my 205f

You are fine with where you are at, everything should be seated by now. I don't think these newer bikes really need that much "break in".

The Shop

JBecker 72
9/8/2017 3:01pm
I haven't ever had a problem starting from day 1 with a full synthetic oil like Mobil1 4T. I usually get the factory oil out after the first half hour or so. Around hour 2 I ride it like I would any other bike.
Pirate421
9/8/2017 3:09pm
Thanks guys. The 2nd and 3rd hour was pretty much at just about full wick. Not sure how they expect people to ride at 50% for an hour never mind 3. I think I'll go ahead and do the motorex syn for Sunday and go from there. Just have read some stories about new ktms using some oil and puffing smoke so wanted to make sure it was fully seated before I switched to the full syn.

I will feel better running the heavier weight oil as our sand tracks up here are deep and the engines are working hard.
captmoto
9/10/2017 2:24pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Thanks guys. The 2nd and 3rd hour was pretty much at just about full wick. Not sure how they expect people to ride at 50% for...
Thanks guys. The 2nd and 3rd hour was pretty much at just about full wick. Not sure how they expect people to ride at 50% for an hour never mind 3. I think I'll go ahead and do the motorex syn for Sunday and go from there. Just have read some stories about new ktms using some oil and puffing smoke so wanted to make sure it was fully seated before I switched to the full syn.

I will feel better running the heavier weight oil as our sand tracks up here are deep and the engines are working hard.
I thought you would still be under water.
erik_94COBRA
9/11/2017 6:15am
Give us a ride report when you've got some good hours on it.

I liked Rotella 15W-40 in my previous 4 strokes. Still run it in my 2 stroke transmissions. High quality oil.
MotoMatt_928
9/11/2017 8:59am
I'm a Vet rider as well, and run Maxima ProPlus 10w50 full synthetic in my 2016 FC350, since new. I change mine after every 3-5 hrs, unless I ride sand track/trails where I change it after each ride. No issues after 30 hours.
captmoto
9/11/2017 11:35am
i changed at 5 with Luca synth 10-50 and am going to change again at 10 with lucas oil. I find it interesting that Husky recommends Bel Ray and KTM recommends Motorex. Same motors right?
Pirate421
9/11/2017 2:57pm
So after yesterday have 5 hours on the new ride. Thing is awesome, really fast. I have a 250sx as well and it's similar in power and a bit faster than the 2 stroke. Has plenty of bottom end for me and an amazing top end. Just like the two stroke wind that sob out and it pulls all over in 3rd and 4th. Suspension is awesome, better than my revalved 2014 250sx stuff. Can land to flat, case stuff, whatever it just soaks it all up. Running 142 and haven't changed any from that. Have tried 2nd switch on the map selector and honestly like 1 better as it's smoother. I felt with the 2nd map it was ripping my arms out and more to handle late in a Moto. Have two buddies with new FC450 and they feel the same, smoother and less intense with map 1.

Other than that I feel much smoother on this 350. Definitely still love the two stroke but this bike is awesome. Super light, stable, awesome suspension,and turns incredible. Any questions just ask. And I crashed so hard yesterday I blew the lense out of my goggles! Definitely sore today.
DerickYZ
9/11/2017 7:28pm
I usually run what the manual recommends. My RMZ250 calls for Motul 300V, and I've never had an issue with the bike. Granted I only have 6 hours on the bike (2 break in, 4 riding).

I'd run what the manual recommends, good luck and enjoy your bike!
JBecker 72
9/11/2017 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2017 7:31pm
DerickYZ wrote:
I usually run what the manual recommends. My RMZ250 calls for Motul 300V, and I've never had an issue with the bike. Granted I only have...
I usually run what the manual recommends. My RMZ250 calls for Motul 300V, and I've never had an issue with the bike. Granted I only have 6 hours on the bike (2 break in, 4 riding).

The brand recommended is just a business partnership between a manufacturer and oil company. Example: KTM recommends Motorex and Husqvarna recommends BelRay.

What matters is that you use an oil that meets the manufacturers specifications.
DerickYZ
9/11/2017 7:39pm
DerickYZ wrote:
I usually run what the manual recommends. My RMZ250 calls for Motul 300V, and I've never had an issue with the bike. Granted I only have...

JBecker 72 wrote:
The brand recommended is just a business partnership between a manufacturer and oil company. Example: KTM recommends Motorex and Husqvarna recommends BelRay. What matters is that...
The brand recommended is just a business partnership between a manufacturer and oil company. Example: KTM recommends Motorex and Husqvarna recommends BelRay.

What matters is that you use an oil that meets the manufacturers specifications.
Very true!
dedi684
9/12/2017 9:42am
Pirate421 wrote:
So after yesterday have 5 hours on the new ride. Thing is awesome, really fast. I have a 250sx as well and it's similar in power...
So after yesterday have 5 hours on the new ride. Thing is awesome, really fast. I have a 250sx as well and it's similar in power and a bit faster than the 2 stroke. Has plenty of bottom end for me and an amazing top end. Just like the two stroke wind that sob out and it pulls all over in 3rd and 4th. Suspension is awesome, better than my revalved 2014 250sx stuff. Can land to flat, case stuff, whatever it just soaks it all up. Running 142 and haven't changed any from that. Have tried 2nd switch on the map selector and honestly like 1 better as it's smoother. I felt with the 2nd map it was ripping my arms out and more to handle late in a Moto. Have two buddies with new FC450 and they feel the same, smoother and less intense with map 1.

Other than that I feel much smoother on this 350. Definitely still love the two stroke but this bike is awesome. Super light, stable, awesome suspension,and turns incredible. Any questions just ask. And I crashed so hard yesterday I blew the lense out of my goggles! Definitely sore today.
I want one bad I've been riding and mainly struggling on 250 2 strokes forever now. Yzs and ktms. Lol. The 350 felt great at Southwick demos but I'm fairly light now that I'm in my 40s and even my yz 250 gets heavy for me.
IceMan446
9/12/2017 12:55pm
DerickYZ wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
The brand recommended is just a business partnership between a manufacturer and oil company. Example: KTM recommends Motorex and Husqvarna recommends BelRay. What matters is that...

Id run what the manual says until he passes the warranty phase.

JBecker 72
9/12/2017 1:41pm
DerickYZ wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:
Id run what the manual says until he passes the warranty phase.

In the USA, they can not void your warranty for using a different brand oil that meets the manufacturers specification. They can't even void your warranty for aftermarket components unless they can prove the aftermarket item caused the failure which started the warranty claim.

Thank the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975 for that.
9/12/2017 2:20pm
2016 Husqvarna FC250, ran Amsoil 10W50 full synthetic since new. When the bike is cool, the first click into gear sometimes it will stall. I picked up some Amsoil 10W40 full synthetic and the problem went away. Put a new piston and checked the valves at 92 hours. Valves were perfect. Went back to running 10W50 since the manual recommends it though.
Pirate421
9/12/2017 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 4:31pm
Pirate421 wrote:
So after yesterday have 5 hours on the new ride. Thing is awesome, really fast. I have a 250sx as well and it's similar in power...

dedi684 wrote:
I want one bad I've been riding and mainly struggling on 250 2 strokes forever now. Yzs and ktms. Lol. The 350 felt great at Southwick...
I want one bad I've been riding and mainly struggling on 250 2 strokes forever now. Yzs and ktms. Lol. The 350 felt great at Southwick demos but I'm fairly light now that I'm in my 40s and even my yz 250 gets heavy for me.
350 has the power of a 250 two stroke but is way more manageable and feels a bit torquier. Less clutch work and a lot more traction. I actually bumped my idle up a tad Sunday and was surprised at how much engine braking I lost. It almost freewhweels like a two stroke. The 2nd map definitely does have more snap though for sure I feel. It is a very very easy bike to pound out a ton of laps on. Perfect powerband. Before I rode it I was nervous that I didn't get a 450 as I've been riding 250 two strokes for year but I don't regret my decision one bit. Much happier I went with the 350. It's exactly what I hoped it would be.
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
9/12/2017 6:19pm
I don't regret my decision one bit. Much happier I went with the 350. It's exactly what I hoped it would be.

you are not helping my wallet or marriage pirate..........
Pirate421
9/12/2017 10:51pm
I don't regret my decision one bit. Much happier I went with the 350. It's exactly what I hoped it would be. you are not helping...
I don't regret my decision one bit. Much happier I went with the 350. It's exactly what I hoped it would be.

No regerts man! Haha for real only live once. Husky and ktm had some good rebates in July and August as well. I paid $7500 for the bike with no fees or any bs so maybe that would help the old wallet, maybe not haha.
erik_94COBRA
9/13/2017 6:31am
I don't regret my decision one bit. Much happier I went with the 350. It's exactly what I hoped it would be. you are not helping...

Pirate421 wrote:
No regerts man! Haha for real only live once. Husky and ktm had some good rebates in July and August as well. I paid $7500 for...
No regerts man! Haha for real only live once. Husky and ktm had some good rebates in July and August as well. I paid $7500 for the bike with no fees or any bs so maybe that would help the old wallet, maybe not haha.
Smoking deal! Contemplating a 350 next year to complement my TC250.

Post a reply to: 2017 FC350 break in

The Latest