2017 CRF450R bars locking off jump faces

1sevenFilms
Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 4:41pm
Hey figured I'd see if anyone had any idea..

So 2 weeks ago I was going off a wall jump and scrubbed it slightly and my bars immediately went to full lock off the face of the jump, completely out of my control, but was able to get them to straighten out. Fast forward to this week same thing happens except they wouldn't unlock and I ended up separating my shoulder and dinging my knee up pretty bad.

Any ideas? Bike is completely stock, 17hrs on it.

Now I'm out for a while and am looking at dropping 1500$ into it to get it right again, bars, triple clamps, exhaust, subframe, etc..

I wonder if this is a factory issue? Maybe related to steering stem? Should I contact Honda?

Any help is appreciated.

|
rmoto003
4/27/2017 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 6:09pm
When you say they locked, do you mean they physically became stuck in the fully turned position and you couldnt move them back at all?
1sevenFilms
4/27/2017 6:23pm
rmoto003 wrote:
When you say they locked, do you mean they physically became stuck in the fully turned position and you couldnt move them back at all?
From what I remember, yes. It's like I turned them slightly and then they completely went to lock and stuck.
4/27/2017 6:27pm
I've got 10 hours on my new 17 and haven't had any issues with that. Have you taken apart the head set apart and checked the steering stem bearings? I've had an old bike from washing it I must of gotten water into the bearing and causing it to rust and cause a sticking feeling but never fully locked like yours.
1sevenFilms
4/27/2017 6:47pm
I've got 10 hours on my new 17 and haven't had any issues with that. Have you taken apart the head set apart and checked the...
I've got 10 hours on my new 17 and haven't had any issues with that. Have you taken apart the head set apart and checked the steering stem bearings? I've had an old bike from washing it I must of gotten water into the bearing and causing it to rust and cause a sticking feeling but never fully locked like yours.
No I haven't. I plan on it when I'm able. I didn't notice the locking until around 13-14hrs

The Shop

Hondas4Life3
4/27/2017 8:18pm
New bikes hardly ever come with grease on the chassis bearings. Pull the stem and look at them I bet they are dry.
Hcallz5
4/27/2017 8:20pm
Does is have a steering stabilizer from the factory?
4/28/2017 12:35am
Pull the front apart and have a look but even if they are in need of a good grease at 17 hrs I dought there so bad it caused that . They can stop the bike turning thou when there shot for sure . It will want to just go straight under load on the throttle. I think you may just have run out of talent.
hassbeen
Fantasy
3823rd
4/28/2017 1:27am
Pull the front apart and have a look but even if they are in need of a good grease at 17 hrs I dought there so...
Pull the front apart and have a look but even if they are in need of a good grease at 17 hrs I dought there so bad it caused that . They can stop the bike turning thou when there shot for sure . It will want to just go straight under load on the throttle. I think you may just have run out of talent.
I've seen it happen before, but on older bikes. The steering head bearings were so dry they locked up. Another thing sometimes the gas tank overflow pipe dumps fuel into the bottom bearing, I haven't worked out why, but I have seen steering head grease washed out onto the front fender at the back of the fender.
1sevenFilms
4/28/2017 7:11am
Hcallz5 wrote:
Does is have a steering stabilizer from the factory?
They didn't put them on the 17s
1sevenFilms
4/28/2017 7:12am
Pull the front apart and have a look but even if they are in need of a good grease at 17 hrs I dought there so...
I felt super comfortable on the bike and like to think I have great bike control but this was out of my hands and nothing I could do about it.
captmoto
4/28/2017 7:46am
hassbeen wrote:
I've seen it happen before, but on older bikes. The steering head bearings were so dry they locked up. Another thing sometimes the gas tank overflow...
I've seen it happen before, but on older bikes. The steering head bearings were so dry they locked up. Another thing sometimes the gas tank overflow pipe dumps fuel into the bottom bearing, I haven't worked out why, but I have seen steering head grease washed out onto the front fender at the back of the fender.
I just don't see how that happens. The tube goes all the way down to just above the fender. The bearing rides above it and usually has a seal plus the thickness and width of the clamp at the bottom. Leaking enough gas to clean that bearing would be noticeable due to the smell and puddles of gas near the bike.
OP, do you use a pressure washer to clean your bike? Did you tear down and grease everything when you first got the bike? Pressure washer + 17 hours to me equals a few more bearings being shot. Check your axles and wheel bearings.
1sevenFilms
4/28/2017 8:11am
captmoto wrote:
I just don't see how that happens. The tube goes all the way down to just above the fender. The bearing rides above it and usually...
I just don't see how that happens. The tube goes all the way down to just above the fender. The bearing rides above it and usually has a seal plus the thickness and width of the clamp at the bottom. Leaking enough gas to clean that bearing would be noticeable due to the smell and puddles of gas near the bike.
OP, do you use a pressure washer to clean your bike? Did you tear down and grease everything when you first got the bike? Pressure washer + 17 hours to me equals a few more bearings being shot. Check your axles and wheel bearings.
Yes I do but I never aim it at the steering stem, a quick little pass over the area and that's it. I did not tear it down when I got it. Didn't really think I'd need to being that it was brand new but am now hearing that I guess it's a thing for dealers to not grease things properly.
Ted722
4/28/2017 8:47am
I wonder if there's any chance the front brake cable is binding during this maneuver.
1sevenFilms
4/28/2017 9:21am
Ted722 wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance the front brake cable is binding during this maneuver.
That's almost what it felt like, a cable getting hung up, but I couldn't find anything. This is the first time I've ever wrecked the bike too.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/28/2017 11:07am
Any time I get a new bike I will ride it 2-3 times then pull it all apart and lube everything. The factory doesn't lube the linkage or headset bearings nearly enough and they use the cheapest grease ever made. after a few hours it pretty much disappears. I believe that's what your issue is. sorry about your injuries bud
1sevenFilms
4/28/2017 12:34pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Any time I get a new bike I will ride it 2-3 times then pull it all apart and lube everything. The factory doesn't lube the...
Any time I get a new bike I will ride it 2-3 times then pull it all apart and lube everything. The factory doesn't lube the linkage or headset bearings nearly enough and they use the cheapest grease ever made. after a few hours it pretty much disappears. I believe that's what your issue is. sorry about your injuries bud
You're probably right. It's getting fully torn down before I ride it again. Thanks man
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/28/2017 4:41pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Any time I get a new bike I will ride it 2-3 times then pull it all apart and lube everything. The factory doesn't lube the...
You're probably right. It's getting fully torn down before I ride it again. Thanks man
No problem bud. Heal up quick!
4/29/2017 1:01am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 1:04am
Tuff deal man . I didn't mean to take the piss on running out of talent comment. We all do that!
Definitely pull those clamps out and clean up those bearings . I'm pulling mine right down this week . First
7 hrs has seen to much wet sand and water . Two dry ride days only

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450R bars locking off jump faces

The Latest