2017 CRF450 Clutch

snackfedbear
Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 6:11pm
Going to order some new plates and springs for my CRF soon.
I've read about removing the judder spring setup in a few articles and I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on how this is done and what the result was...
Also considering the Rekluse TorqDrive or Radius X but don't want to throw money away if it isn't worth it.
I pretty much only ride moto practice days and race maybe once a month local B class.
If anyone has tested any or all of the three setups and has some good feedback that would be awesome.

Thanks dudes
|
crc245
6/13/2018 9:05am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 9:06am
Have a little over 20 hours on a 17' and the first update was to lose the judder spring setup and replace it with a regular Honda fiber. It's easy to do and safer than leaving/not checking the under-sized judder spring fiber (have seen too many broken/cooked ones on low hour bikes already).

Simply remove the clutch cover, pull springs and pressure plate, take out entire fiber/plate assembly, remove the metal judder spring that rides on innermost point of the inner hub, and reinstall with full-size Honda fiber.

Cheapest option of your presented choices and you'll sleep easier knowing it's proper. I vote Hinson over the Rekluse options, but only because of the load the TorqDrive puts transmissions through. Also, be sure to inspect your basket cushions, as they are known to wear/crack faster than previous CRF models. The more HP and torque, the more you have to keep an eye on them.

http://hinsonracing.com/shop/?filtering=1&filter_machine-type=16&filter…
erik_94COBRA
6/13/2018 9:28am
Is there any change in clutch feel or performance with removing judder spring?
crc245
6/13/2018 10:00am
Not really, in my opinion, but I'm not hard on clutches. It's more about the likelihood that the judder-spring plate will fail. Clutch engagement may be a bit more consistent, but no major improvement. Feel is still good, unlike a BTL or Auto system that are unique at the lever, and the peace of mind after doing the swap is good for at least a couple seconds a lap Cool

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-racers-guide-to-the-2017-crf450/
snackfedbear
6/13/2018 6:17pm
crc245 wrote:
Not really, in my opinion, but I'm not hard on clutches. It's more about the likelihood that the judder-spring plate will fail. Clutch engagement may be...
Not really, in my opinion, but I'm not hard on clutches. It's more about the likelihood that the judder-spring plate will fail. Clutch engagement may be a bit more consistent, but no major improvement. Feel is still good, unlike a BTL or Auto system that are unique at the lever, and the peace of mind after doing the swap is good for at least a couple seconds a lap Cool

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-racers-guide-to-the-2017-crf450/
Thanks for the feedback... so does it essentially turn the 6 plate clutch into a 7 plate? in other words, I only have to add a fiber and not a steel plate? I'm looking to order this tonight so just want to make sure I get all the pieces I need... Oem

The Shop

hubbardmx50
6/13/2018 8:49pm
crc245 wrote:
Have a little over 20 hours on a 17' and the first update was to lose the judder spring setup and replace it with a regular...
Have a little over 20 hours on a 17' and the first update was to lose the judder spring setup and replace it with a regular Honda fiber. It's easy to do and safer than leaving/not checking the under-sized judder spring fiber (have seen too many broken/cooked ones on low hour bikes already).

Simply remove the clutch cover, pull springs and pressure plate, take out entire fiber/plate assembly, remove the metal judder spring that rides on innermost point of the inner hub, and reinstall with full-size Honda fiber.

Cheapest option of your presented choices and you'll sleep easier knowing it's proper. I vote Hinson over the Rekluse options, but only because of the load the TorqDrive puts transmissions through. Also, be sure to inspect your basket cushions, as they are known to wear/crack faster than previous CRF models. The more HP and torque, the more you have to keep an eye on them.

http://hinsonracing.com/shop/?filtering=1&filter_machine-type=16&filter…
Thanks for sharing! I have been wondering if anyone besides MXA has actually done that judder spring modification.
crc245
6/13/2018 10:57pm
Thanks for the feedback... so does it essentially turn the 6 plate clutch into a 7 plate? in other words, I only have to add a...
Thanks for the feedback... so does it essentially turn the 6 plate clutch into a 7 plate? in other words, I only have to add a fiber and not a steel plate? I'm looking to order this tonight so just want to make sure I get all the pieces I need... Oem
OE judder fiber number is: 22201-MBN-670

Replace with: 22201-MEN-670

Remains a 7 fiber design, just eliminates these two parts: 22125-MBN-670, 22402-MBN-670

Hinson sells an 8 fiber clutch pack, but I'm not sure if it fits OE basket, inner hub, pressure plate. It would be worth a call to them if you're interested. You'll now have 6 fibers that are the same thickness, and one unique outer (opposed to the judder, 5 traditional, and 1 exterior fiber). The judder fiber is the same thickness, just shorter in height; needs room to clear the two springs between it and the inner hub. This is why they break - Too thin in height, not width. Best to pull up a fiche and take a look, clears everything up a bit.

If you have an old CR 2T or CRF clutch lying around, just "borrow" one of those fibers; That's all I did with mine.
snackfedbear
6/14/2018 7:45am
crc245 wrote:
OE judder fiber number is: 22201-MBN-670 Replace with: 22201-MEN-670 Remains a 7 fiber design, just eliminates these two parts: 22125-MBN-670, 22402-MBN-670 Hinson sells an 8 fiber...

Remains a 7 fiber design, just eliminates these two parts: 22125-MBN-670, 22402-MBN-670

Hinson sells an 8 fiber clutch pack, but I'm not sure if it fits OE basket, inner hub, pressure plate. It would be worth a call to them if you're interested. You'll now have 6 fibers that are the same thickness, and one unique outer (opposed to the judder, 5 traditional, and 1 exterior fiber). The judder fiber is the same thickness, just shorter in height; needs room to clear the two springs between it and the inner hub. This is why they break - Too thin in height, not width. Best to pull up a fiche and take a look, clears everything up a bit.

If you have an old CR 2T or CRF clutch lying around, just "borrow" one of those fibers; That's all I did with mine.
Awesome, man. Thank you a ton!
There was three different fibers on the schematic thus the confusion.
But one more thing... the outermost fiber should still be a different part number, correct? In other words i can’t use the same replacement for the judder spring for the outer fiber?
crc245
6/14/2018 9:49am
Awesome, man. Thank you a ton! There was three different fibers on the schematic thus the confusion. But one more thing... the outermost fiber should still...
Awesome, man. Thank you a ton!
There was three different fibers on the schematic thus the confusion.
But one more thing... the outermost fiber should still be a different part number, correct? In other words i can’t use the same replacement for the judder spring for the outer fiber?
Correct. 6 inners, 1 different outer (with a thicker fiber, I believe)...
erik_94COBRA
6/14/2018 4:25pm
Thanks for the feedback... so does it essentially turn the 6 plate clutch into a 7 plate? in other words, I only have to add a...
crc245 wrote:
OE judder fiber number is: 22201-MBN-670 Replace with: 22201-MEN-670 Remains a 7 fiber design, just eliminates these two parts: 22125-MBN-670, 22402-MBN-670 Hinson sells an 8 fiber...

Thanks for the tips on this. I have a clutch from a CR250 sitting on shelf. I'll probably throw one of those in next time I change the oil.
snackfedbear
7/3/2018 11:35pm
crc245 wrote:
Correct. 6 inners, 1 different outer (with a thicker fiber, I believe)...
Thanks again!
jerbert
6/10/2020 9:17am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2020 9:20am
According to this pic, at the bottom next to the judder there is a narrower disk so that the judder (5) can enter inside, but another disk appears (6) different of the ultimate(7), its necesary put another 6 with 7 in the final of the package?.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
6/11/2020 6:11pm
Thanks for sharing! I have been wondering if anyone besides MXA has actually done that judder spring modification.
Phoenix Honda Racing and JCR ran their CRF450RX GNCC bikes with this mod...never had any problems with it that I know of. I did that mod to mine (2018 450RX) and noted the clutch was a little more grabby. I did notice when I pulled the judder spring out, that the seat for the judder spring had a pretty decent groove worn in it at about 40 hours. That's definitely a failure point. I presently run the Rekluse torqdrive manual. This setup does have a judder spring. You have to use it. It also comes with stainless inserts for the basket fingers to prevent grooving (if your basket is already grooved, you'll have to replace it to run the torqdrive manual). The torqdrive manual did reduce my lever pull slightly, and it's a smoother, more progressive engagement than the stock setup. Been pretty solid so far (30 hours on it in GNCC and other race conditions).

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450 Clutch

The Latest