2016 KX450f forks

4/20/2020 11:17am
I know this question has been asked before, but they all seemed to dead end and the posts were a few years old. Just posting to see if there might be some updated info. I have a 2016 KX450f with the TAC forks that has the racetech spring conversion. Well I bought it used and when I went to replace fork seals the fluid had metal shavings in it and the fluid was black. The upper fork tubes have scoring on the inside so I know the coating is compromised and I’ll have to buy new upper tubes. Unfortunately they’re back ordered and I don’t want to pay 800 dollars for new ones and possibly have this happen again. So my question is will 2017 YZ450f forks work on my KX? I found a nice set for a decent price. Im wondering if I can swap the kx lugs from mine to the YZ ones without any problems and also if my triple clamps will work with them.

I know my best bet would be to find a set of 09-12 KX450f forks for a direct swap. Problem is they’re extremely hard to find. I’ve been looking for the past 4 weeks and have come up with nothing.

Also I’m wanting Kayaba dual spring forks. No air forks or SFF forks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
|
YZed250
4/21/2020 10:18am
Send some pics to Aluninart in Calif. They specialize in anodizing mc fork tubes.
Having the coating wear off is not that common unless the bike has lots of hours. Are you sure that nothing's come loose or that your forks are not bent?
dmm698
4/21/2020 4:18pm
Jerry at aluminart does a good job, but I would not be looking to him for a "repair" of the inside of a scored tube.

Honestly, you should be able to pick up a set of older gen 49mm dual spring a kit forks for 1000$. Anything more than that is crazy, as new production stuff is better than the older gen kit crap. Buy a set of take off 2020 kx250f KYB forks if you want dual spring KYBs. Or, buy a set of honda 17+ 450 49mm showa forks and toss some kx lugs on. I've seen used 49mm billet kx lugs often on ebay for relatively cheap. Bet you could swing some honda forks with kx lugs for 1000$ and be cheaper than a set of older beat up a kit forks.
4/21/2020 7:23pm
YZed250 wrote:
Send some pics to Aluninart in Calif. They specialize in anodizing mc fork tubes. Having the coating wear off is not that common unless the bike...
Send some pics to Aluninart in Calif. They specialize in anodizing mc fork tubes.
Having the coating wear off is not that common unless the bike has lots of hours. Are you sure that nothing's come loose or that your forks are not bent?
The suspension shop I talked to said it’s more common than you think with guys that do the spring conversion. Although it is mainly due to neglected fork maintenance. I was also told that the process of stripping the old coating almost always compromises the outer metal since it’s softer than the anodizing and you’d have to go this to fix the putting and then hone it out. The end process ends up costing almost as much as just buying a different set of forks.
4/21/2020 7:25pm
dmm698 wrote:
Jerry at aluminart does a good job, but I would not be looking to him for a "repair" of the inside of a scored tube. Honestly...
Jerry at aluminart does a good job, but I would not be looking to him for a "repair" of the inside of a scored tube.

Honestly, you should be able to pick up a set of older gen 49mm dual spring a kit forks for 1000$. Anything more than that is crazy, as new production stuff is better than the older gen kit crap. Buy a set of take off 2020 kx250f KYB forks if you want dual spring KYBs. Or, buy a set of honda 17+ 450 49mm showa forks and toss some kx lugs on. I've seen used 49mm billet kx lugs often on ebay for relatively cheap. Bet you could swing some honda forks with kx lugs for 1000$ and be cheaper than a set of older beat up a kit forks.
Yeah I might end up having to go the swapping lugs route. I’ve been searching eBay like crazy and cannot find Kawi KYB dual spring forks anywhere. I have found plenty of the YZ ones and a few of the crf ones. Thanks for the input man.

The Shop

4/22/2020 3:36pm
The 09-12 KX450F kyb forks worked very well. 48mm inner tubes with the black dlc coating. If u want air the 13-14 kyb kx450f forks were good too.
mwssquad827
4/22/2020 4:52pm
You may have done this already but look for bikes being parted out.. I have bought a couple pairs of KYB SSS for $400, $250 and 08 kawi 450 KYB’s for $100.. put a ad on your local classified.. people that aren’t trying to make a buck but have a blown up bike and just want it out of their garage...🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
mwssquad827
4/22/2020 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2020 4:55pm
I noticed your from Montana check out KSL.com Classifieds in Utah they always have some killer deals
Motobeau179
4/24/2020 6:23pm
I know this question has been asked before, but they all seemed to dead end and the posts were a few years old. Just posting to...
I know this question has been asked before, but they all seemed to dead end and the posts were a few years old. Just posting to see if there might be some updated info. I have a 2016 KX450f with the TAC forks that has the racetech spring conversion. Well I bought it used and when I went to replace fork seals the fluid had metal shavings in it and the fluid was black. The upper fork tubes have scoring on the inside so I know the coating is compromised and I’ll have to buy new upper tubes. Unfortunately they’re back ordered and I don’t want to pay 800 dollars for new ones and possibly have this happen again. So my question is will 2017 YZ450f forks work on my KX? I found a nice set for a decent price. Im wondering if I can swap the kx lugs from mine to the YZ ones without any problems and also if my triple clamps will work with them.

I know my best bet would be to find a set of 09-12 KX450f forks for a direct swap. Problem is they’re extremely hard to find. I’ve been looking for the past 4 weeks and have come up with nothing.

Also I’m wanting Kayaba dual spring forks. No air forks or SFF forks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I have a set of 2011 KYB forks off of a KX450. I had them on my 2018 KX450, just sold the bike and put the stock forks on. So no use for these as I’m on a different brand now.

Let me know if you are interested.

Post a reply to: 2016 KX450f forks

The Latest