2016 KTM250SX

Josh_Barrow
Edited Date/Time 8/17/2019 10:33am
So I recently purchased a 2016 KTM250SX...called and verified with shop that when purchased the engine had been completely rebuilt...bottom and top...bike had roughly 4 hours according to guy I bought it from on the new engine..says broke in properly etc...just to be safe I rode it around the house for a tank or so at quarter throttle to half throttle then up from there...To date I've put about 6 track hours on it..

I'd say I'm a local B rider...raced lorettas in C....long story short this past weekend I was at a sand/clay track practicing and last moto was just a play moto...going up face of jump bike completely bogged down to almost point of dying from wide open 3rd gear...I pulled clutch in..coasted up face of jump and going over table tried to give it more gas and it just bogged straight down again...shifted down and just cruised back to truck...shut it off and let sit for maybe a minute to look over...cranked it back up..started fine, revved up fine and I rode it just around the parking lot in second and it seemed like it was running good. Not wanting to risk anything I just loaded up. Got back to garage, compression seems good..(I can push the kick starter down with my hand but its not easy to do). Havent pulled plug yet but air filter was pretty stuffed up just from the sand/dust of track.

Theres a race this weekend and I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are? I'd hate to get out in the race and the bike lock up mid moto...The guy before had always ran the vp premix..T2 which is mixed at 40:1...that day I switched to pump 93 and mixed at 40:1. I didnt see a need to run the T2 with a stock displacement engine. The way the bike acted my thoughts were it was about to seize up but wouldnt think that it would continue running the way it did.
|
AJ565
8/16/2019 6:08am
Switching from T2 to pump gas is going to make it rich as you're going from an oxygenated fuel to non. That will mess with the jetting enough to cause a bog like that. I've had that problem when it got really hot out and dropping the pilot jet one size fixed the problem. Also since it happened on the face of a jump double check that the float height is set correctly.
Josh_Barrow
8/16/2019 4:23pm
So I changed the air filter, cleaned plug...plug looked good...I drained the fuel and put T2 back in it. Started 2nd kick...warmed it up eased around for 5 min or so...bike does fine as before on bottom....if I open it up to full throttle in 3rd it started doing the same thing...bogging...all the way up to full throttle it does fine...first two times on track when I got the bike it never did that..would it be a float issue or jet issue if it wasnt doing that before...Thinking the top end may be on way out? But wouldnt think it would run fine all the way through until hitting top like that.
Josh_Barrow
8/16/2019 4:48pm
Bike has always smoked alot when first starting and warming up...even cruising it seems to me like its running rich...I run the bikes pretty hard though so I would much rather be on the rich side than lean side.

Im going to pull the carb and look at the reeds...I've never done much with carbs though but while I have it apart going to clean jets...
AJ565
8/16/2019 7:14pm
A lot of smoke is for sure rich. Move the clip up one notch and see how it changes things and double check the air screw. If your floats not adjusted right it can be running out of fuel causing a bog under heavy load.

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
8/16/2019 7:20pm
Pull the exhaust and look at the piston to see if there is any scaring.
Check float height.
Check fuel flow to carb.

Paw Paw
Josh_Barrow
8/17/2019 6:35am
I pulled the cab, cleaned everything...the float height to me seemed way high. I adjusted so that the fuel stops right at the line on upper end of float stops parallel with the carb...ran and seems fine now. No bogging at top end at all. Hopefully just not to lean..pulled plug and seems borderline.
AJ565
8/17/2019 10:33am
Sounds like the floats fixed it. The plug looks fine, on the rich side still. That’s not how you really check it though so it’s hard to really tell.

Post a reply to: 2016 KTM250SX

The Latest