2016.5 Ktm 250sxf engine noise/issues

Zach_K
Warning: long rambling explaination.

Backstory: fresh top end with about 1 hours of break in consisting of heat cycles then easy riding.

Friday night arenacross practice bike ran awesome. Engine sounds great and no issues.

Today puting along with my wife on a little muddy track and after about 30-45 mins bike loses power in second gear and cuts out. Tapped the starter and it turns over so I figured maybe I stalled...Happens again. push it back to the truck thinking maybe it overheated because of the mud. 20-30 mins later, I start it again and notice it cuts off at high rpm. Take it home and while washing it I found my left, top subframe bolt just sitting by the air filter box. So I start looking around and notice the air boot is a bit off the throttle body, but did not seem to be enough effect much.

About 2 hours later, went back to the garage and fixed the boot. Pulled off the valves cover to make sure the valves were in spec and timing is good. Everything looked good so I reassembled and started it. Seems to run great now, but I’m hearing what I think is the cam chain tensioner making a ton of noise. See video and let me know what you think please!

Engine Vid

|
Alec138
3/3/2019 8:06pm
I would start with cam chain tensioner. If the stock one is still there replace it with a dirt tricks one. How many hours btw?
Zach_K
3/4/2019 7:04am
Alec138 wrote:
I would start with cam chain tensioner. If the stock one is still there replace it with a dirt tricks one. How many hours btw?
Just shy of 68
Alec138
3/4/2019 7:11am
Alec138 wrote:
Zach_K wrote:
Just shy of 68
Thats probably your issue then. I have 41-42hrs on my stock 16’ 350sxf and plan on checking it out at about 50-60hrs. I would look up how to remove the tensioner and go from there. Let us know!
Zach_K
3/4/2019 7:45am
Alec138 wrote:
Thats probably your issue then. I have 41-42hrs on my stock 16’ 350sxf and plan on checking it out at about 50-60hrs. I would look up...
Thats probably your issue then. I have 41-42hrs on my stock 16’ 350sxf and plan on checking it out at about 50-60hrs. I would look up how to remove the tensioner and go from there. Let us know!
Thanks! Dirt trucks tensioner ordered

The Shop

Moto520
3/4/2019 5:01pm
It really doesnt sound bad to me. I wouldnt be surprised if everything it tight and fine.
Spagina767
11/4/2020 12:14pm
Zach_K wrote:
Warning: long rambling explaination. Backstory: fresh top end with about 1 hours of break in consisting of heat cycles then easy riding. Friday night arenacross practice...
Warning: long rambling explaination.

Backstory: fresh top end with about 1 hours of break in consisting of heat cycles then easy riding.

Friday night arenacross practice bike ran awesome. Engine sounds great and no issues.

Today puting along with my wife on a little muddy track and after about 30-45 mins bike loses power in second gear and cuts out. Tapped the starter and it turns over so I figured maybe I stalled...Happens again. push it back to the truck thinking maybe it overheated because of the mud. 20-30 mins later, I start it again and notice it cuts off at high rpm. Take it home and while washing it I found my left, top subframe bolt just sitting by the air filter box. So I start looking around and notice the air boot is a bit off the throttle body, but did not seem to be enough effect much.

About 2 hours later, went back to the garage and fixed the boot. Pulled off the valves cover to make sure the valves were in spec and timing is good. Everything looked good so I reassembled and started it. Seems to run great now, but I’m hearing what I think is the cam chain tensioner making a ton of noise. See video and let me know what you think please!

Engine Vid

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but was that your issue, the cam chain tensioner? Having the same problem right now with a 2016, right around 60 hours.

Post a reply to: 2016.5 Ktm 250sxf engine noise/issues

The Latest