2016 250sxf speed shifting

ktm-5
4/29/2018 3:06pm
Anyone have any issues when trying to speed shift? When my son is racing he said most of the time he can't shift while wide open and either has to grab some clutch or let off some to get it to shift. We're losing time having to let off so trying to figure out it out, we don't remember if that was an issue b4 being he missed all of last yr
|
kb228
4/29/2018 3:35pm
I cant hold the gas on and shift on any of my bikes. My 2 dirtbikes i can be on half power and shift but not wot. I have to nip the clutch a tad. My supersport likes the clutch nipped all the time. It will shift but its not smooth. Really depends on the bike i think.
ktm-5
4/29/2018 4:20pm
Huh really? I know our ktm 65, kx85, ktm 125 & 250 would do it and I thought our 250f used too but don't remember exactly. My son said his 18 FE 450 will shift wide open and is very smooth but it also has the new transmission made by Pinkl I think
SWMX
4/29/2018 4:53pm
i figured it was known to let off a bit to allow tranny to free up and let the slider gears &shift forks slide easier.
kb228
4/29/2018 5:13pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Huh really? I know our ktm 65, kx85, ktm 125 & 250 would do it and I thought our 250f used too but don't remember exactly...
Huh really? I know our ktm 65, kx85, ktm 125 & 250 would do it and I thought our 250f used too but don't remember exactly. My son said his 18 FE 450 will shift wide open and is very smooth but it also has the new transmission made by Pinkl I think
Im sure if i really pulled up on the lever they would shift. But being that hard on it vs nipping the clutch isnt really worth any time. If nipping the clutch worked for RV it will work for me. When i say nip the clutch its like barely enough to hear an rpm difference. It feels like pulling the clutch in makes the bike slip into the next gear while still having pulling power. Hope that makes sense

The Shop

ktm-5
4/29/2018 5:39pm
Yeah it makes sense it's just the first bike we've had that didn't like to speed shift, I guess he may just have to deal with it this yr until he's full time on the 450
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/1/2018 4:12pm
Hey sorry I didn’t get back to your message! Honestly I’ve never consciously tried to shift while wide open. I recently replaced my clutch fibers, bleed the slave, also replaced the push rod because it looked worn. My bike shifts much smooth and less resistance when clutch is pulled in. I’ve also changed from rotella to maxima 10-40 that Hinson recommended.
ktm-5
5/1/2018 5:04pm
Don't shift at full throttle, you are asking for trouble they are not designed to do that.If you cant use the clutch fit a quick shifter...
Don't shift at full throttle, you are asking for trouble they are not designed to do that.If you cant use the clutch fit a quick shifter: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/QuickShifter/powe…
When racing mx we have always shifted all of our bikes wfo and those were 08 ktm 65, 08 kx 85, 13 ktm 125 and 14 ktm 250sx with never an issue with the tranny.
ktm-5
5/1/2018 5:08pm
Hey sorry I didn’t get back to your message! Honestly I’ve never consciously tried to shift while wide open. I recently replaced my clutch fibers, bleed...
Hey sorry I didn’t get back to your message! Honestly I’ve never consciously tried to shift while wide open. I recently replaced my clutch fibers, bleed the slave, also replaced the push rod because it looked worn. My bike shifts much smooth and less resistance when clutch is pulled in. I’ve also changed from rotella to maxima 10-40 that Hinson recommended.
No problem I contacted Hinson and they told me to try the stock setup and see if we can speed shift because it seems before we had that we could. So I'm going to try that first and check the push rod, bleed the system and check the fibers which should still be pretty new. They said of it doesn't speed shift with oem set up I could have a bent shift fork which I doubt because I replaced one that was worn and the other one looked good but who knows. Thanks for all of the replies
RockyRider
Fantasy
3347th
5/2/2018 12:15pm
For a bike that's know for tranny failures you're encouraging him to shift wfo without using the clutch at all?
Although your kid's probably the next Carmichael...how much time are you really saving by doing that vs the time he's losing as a result of mis-shifts? This thought process just isn't logical..
ktm-5
5/2/2018 12:31pm
RockyRider wrote:
For a bike that's know for tranny failures you're encouraging him to shift wfo without using the clutch at all? Although your kid's probably the next...
For a bike that's know for tranny failures you're encouraging him to shift wfo without using the clutch at all?
Although your kid's probably the next Carmichael...how much time are you really saving by doing that vs the time he's losing as a result of mis-shifts? This thought process just isn't logical..
Wow what a waste of my time reading your nonsense. If you don't like what I do or encourage go troll somewhere else because your knowledge appears to be limited on this lol
RockyRider
Fantasy
3347th
5/2/2018 2:43pm
RockyRider wrote:
For a bike that's know for tranny failures you're encouraging him to shift wfo without using the clutch at all? Although your kid's probably the next...
ktm-5 wrote:
Wow what a waste of my time reading your nonsense. If you don't like what I do or encourage go troll somewhere else because your knowledge...
Wow what a waste of my time reading your nonsense. If you don't like what I do or encourage go troll somewhere else because your knowledge appears to be limited on this lol
Yeah sorry I wasted about 5 minutes of your time (I assume this is how long it took you to read and digest this, that is being for a guy that teaches his kid to shift without the clutch). Don't listen to me, shift that bitch. Don't use the clutch. Blow that tranny up kid! (see I wasted even more of your time reading my "limited knowledge")
ktm-5
5/2/2018 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2018 2:51pm
RockyRider wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Wow what a waste of my time reading your nonsense. If you don't like what I do or encourage go troll somewhere else because your knowledge...
RockyRider wrote:
Yeah sorry I wasted about 5 minutes of your time (I assume this is how long it took you to read and digest this, that is...
Yeah sorry I wasted about 5 minutes of your time (I assume this is how long it took you to read and digest this, that is being for a guy that teaches his kid to shift without the clutch). Don't listen to me, shift that bitch. Don't use the clutch. Blow that tranny up kid! (see I wasted even more of your time reading my "limited knowledge")
Hahaha....aren't you funny didn't know we had a comedian in the house lol and yes your knowledge is limited in this situation so please go troll somewhere else
slipdog
5/2/2018 4:08pm
KTM's shift like shit, that's the way every one I've ridden is. running ATF in my TC last year helped out, but it was still not close to my CRF with Rotella.
ktm-5
5/2/2018 4:24pm
slipdog wrote:
KTM's shift like shit, that's the way every one I've ridden is. running ATF in my TC last year helped out, but it was still not...
KTM's shift like shit, that's the way every one I've ridden is. running ATF in my TC last year helped out, but it was still not close to my CRF with Rotella.
This is the first ktm we had that acted like this, I do have a few things to try and check so we'll see what happens. I know the 18 fe 450 is as smooth as butter even when shifting wide open, probably the best to date
slipdog
5/2/2018 4:55pm
slipdog wrote:
KTM's shift like shit, that's the way every one I've ridden is. running ATF in my TC last year helped out, but it was still not...
ktm-5 wrote:
This is the first ktm we had that acted like this, I do have a few things to try and check so we'll see what happens...
This is the first ktm we had that acted like this, I do have a few things to try and check so we'll see what happens. I know the 18 fe 450 is as smooth as butter even when shifting wide open, probably the best to date
I've only owned a '17 TC, but when testing new models they always seemed reluctant to shift under power. I imagine each year they will be refined more and more. It is interesting if you've had them before with no issues.
5/3/2018 6:29pm
You know what's cheaper than replacing a transmission and/or clutch?

Riding lessons to teach your kid how to shift correctly.
ktm-5
5/3/2018 7:36pm

Haha....thanks for your limited knowledge
5/3/2018 9:22pm

ktm-5 wrote:
The multiple people explaining that your kid shouldn't be doing this is definitely the wrong information.

I'm sure those 1/2 seconds lost pulling in a lever is gonna determine whether y'all go to Lorettas or not.
ktm-5
5/3/2018 9:31pm

ktm-5 wrote:
The multiple people explaining that your kid shouldn't be doing this is definitely the wrong information. I'm sure those 1/2 seconds lost pulling in a lever...
The multiple people explaining that your kid shouldn't be doing this is definitely the wrong information.

I'm sure those 1/2 seconds lost pulling in a lever is gonna determine whether y'all go to Lorettas or not.
Dude idk what your issue is or why your so butt hurt but this is not my first rodeo and you apparently have no knowledge or positive info to contribute to this so why don't you go troll somewhere else. We've been doing this for years and NEVER lost a tranny or had clutch issues or anything, in fact idk why I'm even explaining this to you. You have no knowledge about this or my son to be putting in your worthless sense. If you had read this post you would have seen I don't remember having this issue the first yr we had the bike and never with any other bike. We were off a whole yr due to injury and I've done a lot to the bike since, so take your nonsense somewhere else I'm not interested
5/4/2018 6:58am
"All of you apparently have no knowledge"

Nah dude, there's 3-4 people telling you to do something else, you're just way too dumb to listen lol

Post a reply to: 2016 250sxf speed shifting

The Latest