2015 Honda rear wheel bearing retainer stripped out

Frailey46
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2019 2:57pm
So, I was going to change my rear wheel bearings and the retainer stripped itself upon removal leaving material in the threads and it looks like even fusing some of the material in there. I even used the tool and didn't just bash them out. I have a race next Tuesday I was hoping to make but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to now. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

The shavings you see are from me spraying it out with WD40 and wiping out what material would come out easily with just a rag. The threads on the other side seem to be largely in tact and most/all of the material seems to be from the retainer itself. And yes, I peeled up the bearing seal after the fact just to see how they were.

Here are a couple angles:

A 47mm(48mm?) x 1mm tap is about $130-140 from what I can see and I really don't have any other machining tools though. One friend mentioned something about a thread files, but that doesn't seem like it would work too well.

I'm not opposed to just getting new wheels or hubs but having them overnighted Monday may be prohibitively expensive and I was looking to find a way to get these in shape by Tuesday. Any thoughts?

|
tomm55x
7/21/2018 4:07am
Looks like u have threads left, you could try to take a sharp pic and follow the threads and see how much aluminum you peel out off it.
J.R_Conner
10/18/2019 2:57pm
Hey im having the same problem with mine just wanted to know if you got it fixed and if so how did you? Thanks
adam8781
10/23/2019 9:06pm
had same thing happen to me few times on customers rear. when you take them off drill the peen a bit so it doesnt drag. make sure you use the proper tool, i think mine is a tusk retainer tool from RMATV. work it back and fourth on the way out, penetrating oil is your friend. DO NOT USE A PUNCH AND HAMMER

if they get messed up, i use picks, a dremel with a small cut off wheel. scrape chase and lightly mill the threads. start at the top clean a row of threads. thread the new retainer in and out in and out as you do so you know you are on the right track.

its slow and annoying but ive yet to have a rear honda hub i couldnt save.
MX690
10/24/2019 1:35am
Sorry but those stupid bearing retainers are one of the dumbest ideas ever, the bloody bearings arnt going anywhere, all they needed was spacers, once the wheel is on they're not going anywhere. This is a classic case of complicating something that's not complicated.

Post a reply to: 2015 Honda rear wheel bearing retainer stripped out

The Latest