2014 RMZ450 Vibrating Footpegs

mxgreg80303
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 8:30pm
Hi, hoping you guys can help me out.

Went on the first ride post winter yesterday, and noticed a lot of vibration in the footpegs. Enough where I noticed it and was worried. I know a certain amount of vibration is normal in these bikes because of the missing balance shaft, but I didn't notice in the 15 or so hours I put on last season after buying it mid-summer. Also twice during the ride i noticed a slapping noise when i did a slow speed donut to turn around. No loss in power or performance that I could feel.

I pulled the screen under the shifter:

This is the first time I've pulled it and I have no idea if the other guy ever cleaned it, so I'm not sure if that's normal. I didn't see any brass or copper flakes in the paper filter or the screen. I checked my motor mounts and they're all tight. Now I'm paranoid about it blowing up. I don't know how many hours are on it, but my guess is around 120, and the last dude claimed he did a top end around 55.

Anyone know what else could be causing this? I'm a decent mechanic, but I don't want to split the cases. Local shop quoted me $1500 for a full top and bottom rebuild out the door, but not sure if that's necessary.
|
Paw Paw 271
5/1/2018 7:26pm
At 120 hours it should be time for a rebuild of the lower end.

Paw Paw
mxgreg80303
5/1/2018 8:16pm
At 120 hours it should be time for a rebuild of the lower end.

Paw Paw
Thanks for the reply. that's probably what I'll end up doing just for peace of mind, but could anything else be causing it? Cam chain tension or valves? I'm pretty new to 4 strokes
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/1/2018 8:30pm
Check the motor mounts too. But definitely time for a rebuild
kb228
5/2/2018 3:37am
If youre a decent mechanic, do the rebuild yourself. If your mounts are tight id go ahead and pull the cylinder off and take a look at whats going on. For all you know the piston might have some play at the wrist pin and thats all it needs.

The Shop

mxgreg80303
5/2/2018 7:49am
Thanks for the help. The mounts are tight, I started it again last night and still getting the vibration and a slight clicking from the engine. Only ran it for a minute since I'm paranoid. I might pull the cylinder to check the play in the piston/rod, but I'm gonna have it rebuilt by a pro since I'm not confident about splitting cases. It needs it, and this way I'll know the maintenance history post rebuild. Bummed about the $1600 though.

Post a reply to: 2014 RMZ450 Vibrating Footpegs

The Latest