2014 KTM 450sxf killing batteries when sitting

casper
I've been trying to figure this one out for a while and haven't pinned down the actual cause yet. This is what I know so far.

1. I have a brand new battery so I know it's not that.
2. I checked the bike voltage while running so I know that the stator is working and charging the battery while running.
3. With the bike off, I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery and ran a voltmeter between the negative terminal and the frame ground strap. This showed zero current flow, so I don't think there is a short somewhere.
4. After you shut the bike off, after about 5 seconds, you can hear a relay click. Not sure what it does, but I have another KTM that does the same thing, so I'm guessing that the relay is working correctly but not 100% on it.

I still have to check the kill switch and starter switch for possible shorts but I thought #3 from above would catch that?

The last thing I think it might be is the fuel pump primer sensor(not sure what to call it)? If you move the rear tire with the bike in gear, this small movement will cause the fuel pump to prime itself, I guess for when you want to bump start the bike. I think this sensor might be randomly turning on sometimes even when the bike is sitting still. Over Thanksgiving break, I was camping and riding out in the desert. One morning I woke up and walked outside and I heard the fuel pump on my bike randomly go off. I was nowhere near it and the bike had been sitting all night.

Has anyone ever had to replace this sensor or know what else might be causing this?
|
Paw Paw 271
12/19/2019 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2019 4:03pm
Bad starter relay.
What is the "new battery"? Lead acid or LI?

Paw Paw
casper
12/19/2019 7:03pm
I replaced the lead-acid battery with a LI, specifically the Antigravity with the re-start feature. The "old" lead-acid battery is a Yuasa that is less than a year old. Just to eliminate the battery as the problem of the source, I replaced and upgraded it to the LI battery.

Paw Paw, is the starter relay the one I'm hearing in #4 in my first post? It's located back by the battery under the seat. What would cause that relay to randomly click on? Is there a crank sensor or something that is triggering it?
Paw Paw 271
12/19/2019 7:43pm
THat relay gets it's signal to connect from the start button. It can hang up and go bad. I would also test the starter button as it may have a short in it causing the relay to energize. This relay also starts the fuel pump. Also make sure all connections to the relay are good, clean, rust free and tight as a loose or bad connection will give you fits.
RE # 4...Most likely.

Paw Paw
casper
12/22/2019 4:13pm
Paw Paw,

I've gotten a little further but stuck again. I found out the relay is working as it should, but the short is coming from somewhere on the output circuit.

The relay is working as it should:

Input circuit 0V : Output circuit Open
Input circuit 12v : Output circuit Short(closed)

When I checked the plug on the bike, the 2 pins of the output circuit were showing to be short. In fact, I could start my bike with the relay disconnected.

I don't have a wiring diagram so not sure what to check from here.

Post a reply to: 2014 KTM 450sxf killing batteries when sitting

The Latest