2014 KTM 250SX - Cracked frame is it stuffed?

vmxracer
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2017 6:43am
I recently bought a 2014 KTM 250SX frame , swingarm, shock and a few other bits for my 380 project.

Trying to get the linkage pull rod bolt out today and notice a crack in the frame Sad

I don't know whether to give the seller the benefit of the doubt or send him a sternly worded email....

Is the frame stuffed or can get someone to grind out a V piece on each side and weld it up?

|
Paw Paw
10/7/2017 5:14am
That is a cast piece. It can be welded by a pro, but it will effect the strength of the part. I would suggest trashing it.

Paw Paw
walent215
10/7/2017 6:42am
vmxracer wrote:
I recently bought a 2014 KTM 250SX frame , swingarm, shock and a few other bits for my 380 project. Trying to get the linkage pull...
I recently bought a 2014 KTM 250SX frame , swingarm, shock and a few other bits for my 380 project.

Trying to get the linkage pull rod bolt out today and notice a crack in the frame Sad

I don't know whether to give the seller the benefit of the doubt or send him a sternly worded email....

Is the frame stuffed or can get someone to grind out a V piece on each side and weld it up?

Longshot here, but ive heard alot of great stories of ktm taking care of customers with obvious non warranteed items. Might be worth a call.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/7/2017 7:56am
I'd just weld it and brace the inside. It's steel, easy to be fixed. Once it's welded correctly it will be stronger than before.
10/7/2017 11:47am
I'd just weld it and brace the inside. It's steel, easy to be fixed. Once it's welded correctly it will be stronger than before.
This!

The Shop

Bearuno
10/7/2017 1:00pm
Given that I've not heard about cracking in the swingarm frame junction being an endemic / regular thing on KTMs with that cast (?) SA pivot plate, I'd have to say that frame has truly been hammered. I'm more familiar with the tubing itself , and weld junctions giving way on KTMs. That's Not a slag on KTM frames - every bloody thing can and will break, when subjected to a beating.

You'd want to check thoroughly, every other aspect of the frame / swingarm and linkage, I kid you not!

If it's cracked / broken on one side - the other side generally is not far off of doing the same.

If you do judge the rest of the chassis OK / decide to take the risk on it all being OK, I'd weld the crack - both sides of the crack - then plate in the inside (and plate the other side), being careful that whatever plating you put in, does not interfere with any other aspect of engine / swingarm / brake pedal etc fitment.

I'd be doing any initial welding with the swingarm in. BUT, find someone with real knowledge as to a healthy frames clearances with the swingarm / bearing width / spacers. In other words, any 'gap' there is between a standard, healthy frames inner faces and the swingarms width, before the swingarm bolt is tightened , and try to duplicate that base dimension prior to welding the crack. There's nothing worse than doing a repair, then not being able to fit the swingarm in, or, finding you've welded things up to have far too much clearance at the swingarm pivot.

I'd be tearing the seller a new arsehole if they had not told you of this damage prior to you buying it. That would be a complete Bastard act.

I had a mongrel sell me a TTX shock, that was supposedly 'perfect' - that arrived with two dirty great divots either side of the body eye. A new body eye had to be fitted, and they are not inexpensive! The prick was one of those twats that could not keep a simple top shock mount bolt, on a PDS KTM, tight, and had ridden it until the bolt came out, and then the shock was hammered into the top mount tabs. The bastard had the hide to say he'd never noticed the damage, even though he remembered that the shock had come adrift at one time. I'd dearly love to make his head come adrift, from his bloody shoulders. The arsehole was American, and was happy to rip off an overseas buyer.
Acidreamer
10/7/2017 3:31pm
I say replace it. Cast anything is bad to weld on. Its not worth an injury.

As far as the previous owner thing.. he might not have noticed it. Some people dont look at their bikes that close.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
10/7/2017 7:24pm
Yea, welding cast iron is bad news, even if you plate each side, where it's welded to the cast sections will crack in the HAZ. If you must weld it, use incoloy 901 filler (AMS 5660) and don't ride on anything rougher than a parking lot.
Paw Paw
10/7/2017 7:28pm
Welding cast weakens it. It becomes very brittle at the edge of the welded bead and will only crake again under stress!

Paw Paw
10/7/2017 11:14pm
I think that frame is done, even if it was welded and a cap plate welded on the back side it my not be enough.
Worth a try if you monitor it very closely, what does the other side look like?
vmxracer
10/8/2017 5:13am
Thanks guys, pretty much thought it was buggered.

Luckily another team came for sale this week Cool but I'll be a few hundred dollars out of pocket Sad
ktm-5
10/8/2017 6:44am
Better to be out a few hundred than be fu@$ed up for awhile

Post a reply to: 2014 KTM 250SX - Cracked frame is it stuffed?

The Latest