2014 Cone valve setup help

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2018 7:18 AM

Trying to find a balance of handling and plush fork action by tuning the preload because the forks work really good but cornering is off. I am 190lbs without gear. 2013 KTM 250xc 2-stroke bike. mainly single track offroad trail riding and racing in western PA. Vet A class. Current springs are 4.4N. would you suggest a stffer rate? I've been running 1.5 turns of preload as a compromise. If I go to 2 full turns in on preload the forks get too harsh on rocks and roots. The forks work better in rocks and roots with 1 turn or even 0 preload but cornering suffers the with lower preload. was hoping a stiffer rate with less preload may be the answer. Running forks flush in the clamps already. 370cc oil 15c 18r clickers. The forks are only 935mm long from axle center to top of outer tube so maybe they have been shortened to match the 4cs forks for the previous owner? I know the 4cs forks were 935mm and closed cartridge forks were 940mm. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

|

9/11/2018 7:30 AM

I don’t think the length is your problem so I wouldn’t worry about that. Do you change your clickers when you adjust your preload? If I add preload I normally soften my compression.

You can also look at less preload and add some more rebound to make them hold up.

Not sure on your spring becaus I don’t know your weight.

When you say it doesn’t turn well with less preload, what do you mean?

What is your sag set at?

|

9/14/2018 7:34 AM

Thanks for replying. I weigh 190lbs without gear. Fork springs are 4.4N. I'm running an ohlins ttx44 shock with a 56N spring 10mm preload gives me 108mm sag and 34mm static. By turning bad I mean the front seems to lack traction in flat turns and wants to knife. If I run more preload it definitely helps with the turning issue but negatively affects the fork action on small bumps. I'm 18 out on rebound so you suggest turning in the rebound will allow me to run less preload and get the steering back? What about compression I'm 15 out on that.

|

9/14/2018 8:49 AM

I would decrease sag to 105 mm as a start. And then adjust clickers to suit.

|

9/15/2018 6:10 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

I would decrease sag to 105 mm as a start. And then adjust clickers to suit.

Agreed, I’d go to 105. This might be your main problem right here no fork setting. I run 105 with forks 2 lines up in the clamps

|

9/15/2018 7:04 AM

Is your ohlins shortened to US spec? They are usually 4mm longer.
I had CV's on my 14 250 sx and had to run them on the 4th line with 2mm preload with a US spec length shock.
The CV's are 5mm longer than the stock forks.

My .02

|

9/17/2018 4:25 AM

Yes my ohlins is shortened to us spec so same as the stock shock. As far as length of the cones, that's where I think the problem is. 2014 Cone forks were 945mm but my set is 935mm. Factory connection must gave shortened them to match 4cs forks. My stock closed Chambers are 940mm so these cones are 5mm shorter. Hopefully they used a spacer on the rebound rod and it is reversable. I have not opened them up yet. Like I said in my first post if I run 2mm preload the bike turns and handles much better but fork performance suffers in rocks and square edges. They seem to work best at 1mm of preload. I have tried less sag on the shock and this makes the steering worse. Maybe the rebound is too fast at 18 clicks out. Someone suggested more rebound will hold the forks higher in the stroke while cornering and allow me to run less preload.

|

9/17/2018 5:18 AM

My 2015 cones are 940mm and the new black ones are 945mm.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

9/17/2018 6:04 AM

Ok, I had conflicting information on the length of the older style. Mine are 2014 and I'm pretty sure they were never this short at 935mm. So mine were likely shortened 5mm which would be a little easier to do with a spacer than 10mm. Did you run your 940 length ones flush or pulled up in the clamps? How much preload on the adjuster?

|

9/17/2018 6:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 6:40 AM

My 2 sets 14 and 15 are both 945, even though the paperwork claimed 940 on the first set.
If yours were shortened, they would of had to cut the spring tubes shorter or put shorter springs in.
Or it's possible you have more preload than you think?

I'll add this too. If you still have the WP rebound build and have any lift on the cone, 18 on the rebound will be too fast. I had to go to 15 on my first set with .10mm of lift and my second set had 0 lift and 18 worked. Both have identical shim build. The cone lift affects rebound.

|

9/17/2018 6:51 AM

2000KTM200exc wrote:

Ok, I had conflicting information on the length of the older style. Mine are 2014 and I'm pretty sure they were never this ...more

I run mine flush. Factory Connection can lengthen the 940s to 945 using the new damper rods and spring tube. I have just kept mine flush because most run the 945s 3-5mm up in the clamps anyway.
I have one click on the preload.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!