2014 CRF A-kit to 2007 CR250

3/8/2018 5:49pm
Looking for anyone that could offer advice/knowledge on how to fit a 2014 CRF250 A-KIT shock to my 2007 CR250?

I read in other builds that the shock has to be internally shortened 10mm. What if I had a 2007 A-Kit shock body? If I put the 07 shock body on the 14 shock would that be enough to achieve the correct length? I’m not the best when it comes to suspension so bare with me. From my understanding the shafts are the same length. My A-Kit wasn’t delivered yet so I can’t measure and compare the clevis. What exactly has to be shortened and would switching to the 07 A-Kit body fix that?
|
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2530th
3/10/2018 5:17am
There are two different shock and linkage setups for the 02-07 CR250. The 05-07 bike has a shock that's the same length as the most recent CRF models. The 02-04 bike's shock is about 10mm shorter, which is likely why you've seen people make them shorter. You make it shorter by putting a spacer under the seal head so the shaft can't extend the final 10mm. You will also likely need to chop up the sub frame, as the gas chamber exits at 45 degrees on most of the later shocks, and the top rail will be in the way.
3/10/2018 6:37am
Mr Happy wrote:
There are two different shock and linkage setups for the 02-07 CR250. The 05-07 bike has a shock that's the same length as the most recent...
There are two different shock and linkage setups for the 02-07 CR250. The 05-07 bike has a shock that's the same length as the most recent CRF models. The 02-04 bike's shock is about 10mm shorter, which is likely why you've seen people make them shorter. You make it shorter by putting a spacer under the seal head so the shaft can't extend the final 10mm. You will also likely need to chop up the sub frame, as the gas chamber exits at 45 degrees on most of the later shocks, and the top rail will be in the way.
Thanks for the info, i didn’t know there was a difference from 04 to 05 in shock length. I should have been more specific, the shock I’m trying to fit is from a 2014 so it doesn’t have the 45 gas chamber.
So if I’m understanding you correctly that means it should bolt right up?

I’ll be a happy guy if all I need is a revalve to get riding.
Thanks
5/14/2019 3:13pm
How did you get on with this ?

I 've spotted a kyb kit shock off a 14-17 crf250 and wondering what it'd take to fit it on an 07 cr250.
5/14/2019 6:17pm
How did you get on with this ? I 've spotted a kyb kit shock off a 14-17 crf250 and wondering what it'd take to fit...

I 've spotted a kyb kit shock off a 14-17 crf250 and wondering what it'd take to fit it on an 07 cr250.
It takes a little magic haha. The 14-17 shocks are about 20mm shorter than the 05-07 CR shock. The 14-17 clevis is 10mm shorter and the body is also 10mm shorter. You could make up some of the difference with a shorter linkage or make a custom linkage. The 14-17 Showa A kit high speed compression adjuster is higher in the body and has a harder angle so it hits the subframe. That’s the easiest fix by notching the subframe some. I’m not sure if the KYB shock has that same issue or not.

Either way it’s a project and will take some modification/custom work. You would be better off searching for a 09-12 or 10-14 CRF body and clevis to use on the newer shock but the parts are sometimes hard to find. I ended up going with a long body A kit shock because it’s not only easier but I think the long body looks better on the CR.

The Shop

5/14/2019 6:24pm
How did you get on with this ? I 've spotted a kyb kit shock off a 14-17 crf250 and wondering what it'd take to fit...

It takes a little magic haha. The 14-17 shocks are about 20mm shorter than the 05-07 CR shock. The 14-17 clevis is 10mm shorter and the...
It takes a little magic haha. The 14-17 shocks are about 20mm shorter than the 05-07 CR shock. The 14-17 clevis is 10mm shorter and the body is also 10mm shorter. You could make up some of the difference with a shorter linkage or make a custom linkage. The 14-17 Showa A kit high speed compression adjuster is higher in the body and has a harder angle so it hits the subframe. That’s the easiest fix by notching the subframe some. I’m not sure if the KYB shock has that same issue or not.

Either way it’s a project and will take some modification/custom work. You would be better off searching for a 09-12 or 10-14 CRF body and clevis to use on the newer shock but the parts are sometimes hard to find. I ended up going with a long body A kit shock because it’s not only easier but I think the long body looks better on the CR.

It’s been awhile so I’m not sure if I remember correctly but if you weld the link arm bolt holes closed and move the holes back 5mm (shorter) it should be enough to the length you need without throwing off the geometry.

I didn’t want to say that because it’s been awhile like I said and I don’t want to give wrong info. I have to go back to see if I could info I had.

Post a reply to: 2014 CRF A-kit to 2007 CR250

The Latest