2013 kx250f doesn't like to shift up

Dylanyuen271
Alright so lately my bike doesn't like to shift up. I think I notice it happens mostly when going into 3rd 4th and 5th. It sometimes takes a couple tries to get it to go into these gears. I'd say it happens like half the time. And it's not only when under heavy load. I have noticed it happening while just cruising. There also has been two times where I swear I was in 2nd or 3rd gear and I went to shift up and it went into neutral... The first time it happened I convinced myself I was in 2nd and I must have accidentally bumped the shifter lever down putting it into neutral while trying to get my foot under it too shift up. But the second time I definitely did not hit the shifter down and I'm almost positive I was not in 1st gear and when I shifted up it went into neutral. Any ideas? Is it all in my head? Idk
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
8/30/2018 4:56pm
Are you greasing your shifter bearing often?
Paw Paw 271
8/30/2018 5:10pm
Check your shifter to be sure it is tight.
check your shifting dogs and springs for wear.

Paw Paw
Dylanyuen271
8/30/2018 5:15pm
Check your shifter to be sure it is tight.
check your shifting dogs and springs for wear.

Paw Paw
Paw paw you are everywhere! Lmao. My shifter is tight. I even tried moving it upwards by one spline thinking that my foot may have been applying pressure upwards on it unintentionally causing it to not want to shift. Don't think it fixed it. Dogs are just behind the clutch cover? I heard forks may be a problem. Those are way in the case?

The Shop

Dylanyuen271
8/30/2018 5:18pm
Could the couple of false neutrals just possibly be that I didnt get it fully in gear?
Paw Paw 271
8/30/2018 7:02pm
Yes the forks would be inside the main cases. The shift dogs and springs are behind the clutch. The clutch has to be removed to get to them.
If , as you said, you moved the shift lever up, it could now be limited in movement by either the chain guard or case.

Paw Paw
Dylanyuen271
8/30/2018 7:20pm
Yes the forks would be inside the main cases. The shift dogs and springs are behind the clutch. The clutch has to be removed to get...
Yes the forks would be inside the main cases. The shift dogs and springs are behind the clutch. The clutch has to be removed to get to them.
If , as you said, you moved the shift lever up, it could now be limited in movement by either the chain guard or case.

Paw Paw
I ran it up one spline for a day to see if that was the problem and it seemed like it fixed my issue but i hated how it felt so i moved it back down and tried to make sure my foot wasnt resting upward on it. And then after a couple rides i got the false neutral and then next ride got another. So after moving it back down maybe i just didnt get it in gear fully those couple times.. And it seemed like the only time i was having trouble shifting was under heavy load. I guess I'll just have to see when i get my bike back from mechanic.
Hcallz5
8/31/2018 3:06pm
The shifter might be hitting the frame and not getting all the way into gear. Check it to make sure it's not too high or too low.
Dylanyuen271
8/31/2018 4:28pm
Hcallz5 wrote:
The shifter might be hitting the frame and not getting all the way into gear. Check it to make sure it's not too high or too...
The shifter might be hitting the frame and not getting all the way into gear. Check it to make sure it's not too high or too low.
Even with my footpeg but i just checked to make sure and it's not hanging up on anything.

Post a reply to: 2013 kx250f doesn't like to shift up

The Latest