2012 yz250f suspension on 03 yz250?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2019 1:00 PM

Picked up a very good condition 03 yz250 late last year for dirt cheap but only has 1 issue: the previous rider was barely half my weight and size so it has a 125's suspension on it (soft and mushy since he was a slower vet woods rider). Flash forward to today and I found a guy who's parting out a 2012 yz250f and said he'd sell me the whole suspension including triple clamps for $400. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. My concern is will it bolt up or am I going to need to do some severe fabricating? I need suspension before I start racing again this year due to bottoming out badly and everything else that accompanies not having good suspension. I know if i rebuild mine, I'm looking at spending a pretty penny but at least a newer stock suspension on that 250f has to be better than what i have.

|

1/11/2019 1:42 PM

Well, you will probably need to modify the steering stops. Either way, you will need to have the suspension setup for you. My 05 yz250 actually has 05 yz125 forks on it with springs for my weight and was setup by a local shop. Just springs and a little differences between the 125 and 250 fork setups.

So you spend $400 on a front end, at some point you will need to send that suspension off to get setup for you and $250-$350 for the forks alone. It's your call on what you want to do, but I want to give you all the info possible

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/12/2019 9:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2019 9:15 AM

Nick893 wrote:

Picked up a very good condition 03 yz250 late last year for dirt cheap but only has 1 issue: the previous rider was barely half my weight and size so it has a 125's suspension on it (soft and mushy since he was a slower vet woods rider). Flash forward to today and I found a guy who's parting out a 2012 yz250f and said he'd sell me the whole suspension including triple clamps for $400. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. My concern is will it bolt up or am I going to need to do some severe fabricating? I need suspension before I start racing again this year due to bottoming out badly and everything else that accompanies not having good suspension. I know if i rebuild mine, I'm looking at spending a pretty penny but at least a newer stock suspension on that 250f has to be better than what i have.

For $400 I would do it.

I can't say for certain exactly what you will need because there are many variables, but I can say for certain that anything that isn't right is an easy fix.

I've done A LOT of fork conversions on 00-04 YZ to later model 48mm. It's usually just a matter of getting the right stem the right brake mount, the proper wheel spacers and dealing with the turn lock on the frame.

That said, you will need to go through the 2012 stuff and verify everything. Many of the SSS forks will have broken plastic free pistons, could have burned up rods, and may not have a spring that is suited for your weight and set-up.

That said, it really all depends on what you are going to use the bike for. The 03 YZ forks are still very good forks. And any fork that you use will need to gone through for service and a set-up to match your needs. If you're a hard core MX dude, the 2012 stuff would make more sense. But if your recreational off-road, the 46mm open bath forks will more than do the job.

|

1/14/2019 8:55 AM

You will need the 04 triple clamp , last year steel frame and first year with 48 mm forks , 07- caliper mount bracket and breakline aswell frontaxle with wheel spacer !

|