2011 kx450 clutch not disengaging stumped!

mizzury44
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 3:47am
Hey guys new to the site. Really could use some help. My clutch fried out was not disengaging. When I would pull in the clutch when bike was in 1st on the stand rear tire would spin. Also when bike was off and I tried to pull in clutch in gear would move a little bit. But definitely no rolling like it would be in neutral definitely tension still. So I replaced cable definitely helped when it came to my lever. Still didn't fix the issue. So took the bike apart plates were very discolored and springs we're like a quarter inch shorter then what they were suppose to be. And the inner and outer basket had very slight grooves. And I mean barley nothing to them. So I filed them down nice and smooth. Put everything back together with new hinson plates and springs. torqued everything to spec. Changed oil and filter as well as air filter. We pumped to go to the track . Then bang rear tire is still spinning on stand and not disengaging . But definitely felt better. Now before I rip her apart again I would greatly appreciate so pointers or help . Thank you much appreciated . I took pictures of the old clutch if you see anything else please inform me. And tommorow when I take the cover off I will take pics on how I put it back together.

|
JBecker 72
9/12/2017 5:36am
All of my bikes are tough to push in gear with the clutch pulled in. They also will rotate the wheel on a stand. How does the bike ride since you did the clutch?
mizzury44
9/12/2017 6:00am
Really? I mean when it's on the stand when the clutch is pulled in it's spinning at a good rate of speed. Seems to be riding and definitely feels better. Only thing is I could use a new adjustment in the cable after the new plates and spring. And it stopped rolling when I was on it and had the clutch pulled in while gear. Just something still just don't feel right. Any suggestions ?
Acidreamer
9/12/2017 6:13am
Jbecker is right on the money. Every bike i have ever owned will spin on the stand even in neutral. My kx has an auto clutch and it even spins in gear. They all are hard to push in gear with the clutch in.

Since you replaced your clutch and fixed the notches on the basket, you need to adjust your cable and get as close as you can to what you like and you SHOULD be able to get there. Otherwise as long as your clutch isnt slipping you should be good. just put your bike in neutral to push it.
JBecker 72
9/12/2017 6:16am
mizzury44 wrote:
Really? I mean when it's on the stand when the clutch is pulled in it's spinning at a good rate of speed. Seems to be riding...
Really? I mean when it's on the stand when the clutch is pulled in it's spinning at a good rate of speed. Seems to be riding and definitely feels better. Only thing is I could use a new adjustment in the cable after the new plates and spring. And it stopped rolling when I was on it and had the clutch pulled in while gear. Just something still just don't feel right. Any suggestions ?
My 2016 KX450F with 20 hours on it is very similar. It will roll in gear, but it's definitely a struggle. Also usually a pain to restart in gear so I find neutral first.

On some clutches, there is a special plate that goes in first, and if that plate is out of order it will cause problems. Not sure if Hinson or Kawasaki do that as I haven't had mine apart yet.

The Shop

mizzury44
9/12/2017 6:28am
Thank you so much guys definitely great news. Saved me a lot of headache. Great information to know! And was thinking it was something worst . And yeah the hinson I put in had 2 red fibers and I think 6 black 1 red for bottom and 1 red for the top.
mizzury44
9/12/2017 6:33am
Also my bike will kick over first kick when bikes in gear with clutch pulled in. Noticed that after I put in new plates and springs.huge difference all around.
Paw Paw
9/12/2017 6:38am
Your clutch basket and inner hub are still notched ( in the photos) and will still cause the clutch plates to bind. The plates look discolored. So after filling now you have notches and ill fitting plates to basket causing uneven plate pressure and thus creating excess heat. It looks to be time to replace the inner hub and basket and put in fresh metal plates.
Now with that said, the above post stated the truth about not being able to push a bike with even a fresh clutch with the clutch pulled in and in first gear. The mechanical advantage is just too great.

Paw Paw
mizzury44
9/12/2017 6:41am
Did you read the post man? Not trying to be a dick just saying
JBecker 72
9/12/2017 7:16am
mizzury44 wrote:
Also my bike will kick over first kick when bikes in gear with clutch pulled in. Noticed that after I put in new plates and springs.huge...
Also my bike will kick over first kick when bikes in gear with clutch pulled in. Noticed that after I put in new plates and springs.huge difference all around.
If it's easy to start in gear I'm sure it's fine.
mizzury44
9/12/2017 7:47am
Awesome yeah asked my cousin with a kx250 and was saying his does the same. Thanks so much again man definitely saved me so much time an frustration . Great site!
mxtech1
9/12/2017 11:00am
That flat washer (92200) that the bearing needle rides on comes in different thicknesses. Since you cannot get the clutch to completely disengage, you need to order a thicker washer. This will allow the clutch pack to expand more and completely disengage the clutch pack. I think they come in 3 different thicknesses, and the stock one is right in the middle. If you don't mind spending the money, it is sometimes a good idea to replace 92046, 13280, and the push rod all at the same time as they do wear over time.

This is actually a really smart design by Kawasaki as it allows the user to substitute different thicknesses to accommodate for wear and/or aftermarket components that might be dimensionally slightly different that the OEM product.

Paw Paw
9/12/2017 12:45pm
mizzury44 wrote:
Yes, I did read the post and looked at what is said to be the before photos. But, if you will look at the basket you will notice that only one side of each basket opens are notched and the other side is smooth. That is almost never seen as both sides of the opening should have the same markings.
So, I would have to assume either:
1. The photos were after the work was half done or
2. The basket was half worked on previously.
In either case the results are still the same....
Ill fitting clutch plates to a now non correct size openings in the basket and under sized fingers in the inner hub. These issues will cause issues with the clutch and result if failure and poor operation. The burnt plates show excess heat and maybe slipping.

So........Your point was?????

Paw Paw
mizzury44
9/12/2017 2:34pm
mxtech1 wrote:
That flat washer (92200) that the bearing needle rides on comes in different thicknesses. Since you cannot get the clutch to completely disengage, you need to...
That flat washer (92200) that the bearing needle rides on comes in different thicknesses. Since you cannot get the clutch to completely disengage, you need to order a thicker washer. This will allow the clutch pack to expand more and completely disengage the clutch pack. I think they come in 3 different thicknesses, and the stock one is right in the middle. If you don't mind spending the money, it is sometimes a good idea to replace 92046, 13280, and the push rod all at the same time as they do wear over time.

This is actually a really smart design by Kawasaki as it allows the user to substitute different thicknesses to accommodate for wear and/or aftermarket components that might be dimensionally slightly different that the OEM product.

Thanks for the tip man . My guy at the part store said the same thing as well so he ordered the washer and the push rod.
mizzury44
9/12/2017 2:39pm
mizzury44 wrote:
Paw Paw wrote:
Yes, I did read the post and looked at what is said to be the before photos. But, if you will look at the basket you...
Yes, I did read the post and looked at what is said to be the before photos. But, if you will look at the basket you will notice that only one side of each basket opens are notched and the other side is smooth. That is almost never seen as both sides of the opening should have the same markings.
So, I would have to assume either:
1. The photos were after the work was half done or
2. The basket was half worked on previously.
In either case the results are still the same....
Ill fitting clutch plates to a now non correct size openings in the basket and under sized fingers in the inner hub. These issues will cause issues with the clutch and result if failure and poor operation. The burnt plates show excess heat and maybe slipping.

So........Your point was?????

Paw Paw
Your wrong both sides were notched. That's the before pic when I was taking it apart. before the hinson clutch . And I'm not a poor operator if something's wrong I fix it I just bought the bike and the clutch wasn't working properly . We're just not seeing eye to eye on this. Thanks for the response though
Paw Paw
9/12/2017 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 3:31pm
Your right! We don't see eye to eye on this!
So I will bow out. I have only been doing this stuff for over 50 years, so I don't know anything, I can't see any thing and I can't read, but I do know when someone is asking for help and then being rude!
I come on here to give help with out any charge and then I have folks abuse it with only partial info, being rude and acting like they know what they are doing when in fact they are lost and asking for help.
You said " I fix things".....Well FYI: Doing what you did to the clutch basket and the inner hub are not fixing the issue but are only a band aid and will cause further issues if not fixed correctly. I have had to do what you did when I was at a race in between motos and got away with it for that one or two moto's, but I also knew it was not a fix but rather a patch.
In the last couple of days on the forum I have been called out on a few occasions by folks that have no clue when all I was doing was offering my help. You were one of them and to me you are dead and I will not help you any further on any issue for any reason.
Paw Paw
mizzury44
9/13/2017 4:25am
Hey guys just wanted to give you and update. Went to adjust the cable and I noticed that the distance between the clutch actuator and the 2 cable nuts was to great . So I checked the manual and what do you know it was the washer.
mizzury44
9/13/2017 5:03am
Paw Paw wrote:
Your right! We don't see eye to eye on this! So I will bow out. I have only been doing this stuff for over 50 years...
So I will bow out. I have only been doing this stuff for over 50 years, so I don't know anything, I can't see any thing and I can't read, but I do know when someone is asking for help and then being rude!
I come on here to give help with out any charge and then I have folks abuse it with only partial info, being rude and acting like they know what they are doing when in fact they are lost and asking for help.
You said " I fix things".....Well FYI: Doing what you did to the clutch basket and the inner hub are not fixing the issue but are only a band aid and will cause further issues if not fixed correctly. I have had to do what you did when I was at a race in between motos and got away with it for that one or two moto's, but I also knew it was not a fix but rather a patch.
In the last couple of days on the forum I have been called out on a few occasions by folks that have no clue when all I was doing was offering my help. You were one of them and to me you are dead and I will not help you any further on any issue for any reason.
Paw Paw
I know it's a patch job bikes being ripped apart in 2 weeks. Relax man Jesus Christ . We didn't see eye to eye on something don't need your life story
Acidreamer
9/13/2017 6:14am
Paw Paw wrote:
Your right! We don't see eye to eye on this! So I will bow out. I have only been doing this stuff for over 50 years...
Paw Paw
mizzury44 wrote:
I know it's a patch job bikes being ripped apart in 2 weeks. Relax man Jesus Christ . We didn't see eye to eye on something...
I know it's a patch job bikes being ripped apart in 2 weeks. Relax man Jesus Christ . We didn't see eye to eye on something don't need your life story
Show some respect to the guy. Paw paw is by far the most knowledgable person on this site and probably on any site.
9/13/2017 7:36am
Paw paw is a great resource of knowledge for just about every problem a bike can have. It's bad form to come to a site as a newbie and disrespect the one guy who is literally always right about pretty much any issue. You'll learn, but if it were Me I'd be respectful. He's absolutely trying to get you repaired the right way.
mizzury44
9/13/2017 7:52am
Paw paw is a great resource of knowledge for just about every problem a bike can have. It's bad form to come to a site as...
Paw paw is a great resource of knowledge for just about every problem a bike can have. It's bad form to come to a site as a newbie and disrespect the one guy who is literally always right about pretty much any issue. You'll learn, but if it were Me I'd be respectful. He's absolutely trying to get you repaired the right way.
I really don't care man honestly just becoming annoying . I asked for help I received it I appreciated and got pointed in the right direction. Bike works great now and will get me going for another couple weeks.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/13/2017 5:45pm
Paw paw is a great resource of knowledge for just about every problem a bike can have. It's bad form to come to a site as...
mizzury44 wrote:
I really don't care man honestly just becoming annoying . I asked for help I received it I appreciated and got pointed in the right direction...
I really don't care man honestly just becoming annoying . I asked for help I received it I appreciated and got pointed in the right direction. Bike works great now and will get me going for another couple weeks.
Maybe you just shouldn't care to come ask for free help next time. If you would not have been a disrespectful asshat to PawPaw, you could have came back asking many more questions for years to come and he would have been happy to take his personal time to help a stranger get thru problems they don't know how to resolve on their own. He has been on this site for years giving free advice from all different aspects of wrenching for the guys like yourself that need help. Says a lot about his character, and yours. All you had to do was not be a dick head lol
mingham97
9/16/2017 3:47am
mizzury44 wrote:
I really don't care man honestly just becoming annoying . I asked for help I received it I appreciated and got pointed in the right direction...
We here at tech help say our "hail pawpaw" every night for good luck with the reliability of our motorcycles.

Next time you start a thread, and no one helps you, after a few days, pawpaw will come in the night and offer advice. Take it or leave it if you like, but always show respect to him. The dude is a god around these parts
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
9/17/2017 3:24am
mizzury44 wrote:
You asked for help, got it and then say you don't care. Sheesh.... Whistling
ianhendry46
9/17/2017 8:50am
You don't deserve the help you've been given. The man gave you insight and info for free that would not be free if you had to take it to a shop. All you would actually get is a bill, with no knowledge and honest insight to go with it. I bet if he had not said anything at all, when you "rip" the bike apart in 2 weeks, the basket and hub would not have been replaced and then the problems would come.

Good job on being a complete asshat.

Post a reply to: 2011 kx450 clutch not disengaging stumped!

The Latest