2011 RMZ 450 mods

kx450sr
Edited Date/Time 10/23/2020 9:06pm
*previously posted in wrong section of the forum

I'm rebuilding a low hour (50) rm-z 450. It's an '11 spec which from my seat of the pants feel and reviews was really good. So far I have the following:

yoshimura full ti/carbon rs4 system
Moto tassinari air boot
Loudmouth intake

I haven't finished the build so I dont know what the power will be like. I def don't want to hurt reliability which is why I got basic bolt ons. For the piston I'm stuck between a CP 13.0 or 13.5:1. stock is 12.5:1. But like I said I don't want to hurt reliability or power curve for that matter which is why I have considered stock compression. I'll throw in a GET gp1 ECU (new) that came with the bike I'm thinking that might be enought to make the bike competitive with current bikes in terms of power if not what the hell do I do to get me there?
|
Bruce372
10/23/2020 9:47am
If you have the get ignition, I would try and find a local dyno shop since thats how your gonna make that engine work really well.

Maybe ask them about pistons... I went to a high comp piston on a 2009 rmz450... while it made better power, the bike ran worse because the mapping was off and there was no one to adjust the stock ecu back then
kx450sr
10/23/2020 9:06pm
Bruce372 wrote:
If you have the get ignition, I would try and find a local dyno shop since thats how your gonna make that engine work really well...
If you have the get ignition, I would try and find a local dyno shop since thats how your gonna make that engine work really well.

Maybe ask them about pistons... I went to a high comp piston on a 2009 rmz450... while it made better power, the bike ran worse because the mapping was off and there was no one to adjust the stock ecu back then
I don't know of any shops/tuners that change settings on the GET. They have base settings for a stock piston and racing exhaust and pump or race fuel. Their settings can be changed thru the app but I'm afraid I'd butcher things and make it worse. How high on compression did you go?

I think if I wanted a more specific setting for my mods vortex ECUs have a lot more tuners out there who would know how to dial them for my stuff.
walent215
10/24/2020 7:12am
We had a 12 rmz 450 with Fmf pipe, Vortex ECU, torq drive etc... not a crazy amount of “ gains” to be had that is going to be mind blowing... I’d recommend stock comp piston or the 13.0 CP if you want, Better fuel and try the GET as it is.
Then have a reputable shop ie; Tokyo mods, twisted development remap ecu and see how that goes. The clutches are terrible in those bikes and I would be looking at a COMPLETE clutch system before I spent much money on anything else.
kx450sr
10/24/2020 2:21pm
walent215 wrote:
We had a 12 rmz 450 with Fmf pipe, Vortex ECU, torq drive etc... not a crazy amount of “ gains” to be had that is...
We had a 12 rmz 450 with Fmf pipe, Vortex ECU, torq drive etc... not a crazy amount of “ gains” to be had that is going to be mind blowing... I’d recommend stock comp piston or the 13.0 CP if you want, Better fuel and try the GET as it is.
Then have a reputable shop ie; Tokyo mods, twisted development remap ecu and see how that goes. The clutches are terrible in those bikes and I would be looking at a COMPLETE clutch system before I spent much money on anything else.
Thanks! enough said, I'll take your advice and go that route

The Shop

OLDMOTO
10/24/2020 2:34pm
walent215 wrote:
We had a 12 rmz 450 with Fmf pipe, Vortex ECU, torq drive etc... not a crazy amount of “ gains” to be had that is...
kx450sr wrote:
Thanks! enough said, I'll take your advice and go that route
I had a 2012 (same bike). Ran a Dr. D stainless full exhaust and no toil fast flow air filter. It made plenty of very usable power. I had a stock clutch and never had a problem with it. Stock gearing. Bigger foot pegs. RG3 20mm triple clamps and RG3 linkage. I did Race Tech kits in the suspension. Rode and raced it for 80 hours with out a single problem. Best handling bike ever. A bit heavy. No electric start.
10/26/2020 1:17pm
I think the engine guy at pr2 in quarryville pa might still have some maps for the Get Ecu for that bike. He built an engine for a local pro when those bikes came out that ran very well!
mark_swart
10/27/2020 10:08am
Good God how much power do you need lol?!? I had the 12, it came with a full Yosh from original owner. The best mod for me was a Factory Connection fork revalve.
10/28/2020 7:38am
kx450sr wrote:
*previously posted in wrong section of the forum I'm rebuilding a low hour (50) rm-z 450. It's an '11 spec which from my seat of the...

I'm rebuilding a low hour (50) rm-z 450. It's an '11 spec which from my seat of the pants feel and reviews was really good. So far I have the following:

Moto tassinari air boot
Loudmouth intake

I haven't finished the build so I dont know what the power will be like. I def don't want to hurt reliability which is why I got basic bolt ons. For the piston I'm stuck between a CP 13.0 or 13.5:1. stock is 12.5:1. But like I said I don't want to hurt reliability or power curve for that matter which is why I have considered stock compression. I'll throw in a GET gp1 ECU (new) that came with the bike I'm thinking that might be enought to make the bike competitive with current bikes in terms of power if not what the hell do I do to get me there?
Best mod for my 2011 was Vortex Ignition from twisted. I absolutely love my Enzo Suspension. It’s the best I’ve ever had suspension wise. I like the yosh exhaust also.
kx450sr
10/28/2020 8:05am
kx450sr wrote:
*previously posted in wrong section of the forum I'm rebuilding a low hour (50) rm-z 450. It's an '11 spec which from my seat of the...

Moto tassinari air boot
Loudmouth intake

Best mod for my 2011 was Vortex Ignition from twisted. I absolutely love my Enzo Suspension. It’s the best I’ve ever had suspension wise. I like...
Best mod for my 2011 was Vortex Ignition from twisted. I absolutely love my Enzo Suspension. It’s the best I’ve ever had suspension wise. I like the yosh exhaust also.
Suzuki brethren! Lol can you give me a ride report on what the twisted/vortex ignition did to the bike? What did enzo do to it?
10/28/2020 5:41pm
kx450sr wrote:

Moto tassinari air boot
Loudmouth intake

Best mod for my 2011 was Vortex Ignition from twisted. I absolutely love my Enzo Suspension. It’s the best I’ve ever had suspension wise. I like...
kx450sr wrote:
Suzuki brethren! Lol can you give me a ride report on what the twisted/vortex ignition did to the bike? What did enzo do to it?
The Twisted/Vortex helps every where plus lessens flameouts and IMO helps starting also. With a Vortex you can adjust tuning like a Carburetor which is a nice feature. I run VP T4 cause my bike can sit for a while and I’ve had problem with pump gas before because of that. Enzo suspension like my buddy says doesn’t do anything crazy. It has a good dead feeling that keeps it planted. I love it! Best suspension I’ve ever had! I love my 2011 RMZ 450
kx450sr
10/28/2020 8:10pm
The Twisted/Vortex helps every where plus lessens flameouts and IMO helps starting also. With a Vortex you can adjust tuning like a Carburetor which is a...
The Twisted/Vortex helps every where plus lessens flameouts and IMO helps starting also. With a Vortex you can adjust tuning like a Carburetor which is a nice feature. I run VP T4 cause my bike can sit for a while and I’ve had problem with pump gas before because of that. Enzo suspension like my buddy says doesn’t do anything crazy. It has a good dead feeling that keeps it planted. I love it! Best suspension I’ve ever had! I love my 2011 RMZ 450
I'd really appreciate the help with starting on that bike but cool man thanks for the feedback! I contacted Jamie Ellis after reading your reply and he said he has really good settings for those bikes which I didn't think he would considering it's a 10 year old bike now. He still owns one (2011) which he said was the best ('12 was the same bike). He said they later butchered the frame (too rigid) and then the forks (air) years later. I'm really glad I hung on to mine and I'm going to him for an ECU. Thanks again!
10/29/2020 5:42am
The Twisted/Vortex helps every where plus lessens flameouts and IMO helps starting also. With a Vortex you can adjust tuning like a Carburetor which is a...
kx450sr wrote:
I'd really appreciate the help with starting on that bike but cool man thanks for the feedback! I contacted Jamie Ellis after reading your reply and...
I'd really appreciate the help with starting on that bike but cool man thanks for the feedback! I contacted Jamie Ellis after reading your reply and he said he has really good settings for those bikes which I didn't think he would considering it's a 10 year old bike now. He still owns one (2011) which he said was the best ('12 was the same bike). He said they later butchered the frame (too rigid) and then the forks (air) years later. I'm really glad I hung on to mine and I'm going to him for an ECU. Thanks again!
Yeah my bike was a bear to start also. I’m not sure where you live or if Jamie can do it for you, but having the Camshafts timed makes a huge difference also (it’s called something else, but I can’t remember at the moment) my factory cams were slightly off from the factory and I had a rough time starting my bike. Right now it usually starts by the third kick. It’s called having the Camshafts degree, so that they are opening valves exactly when their supposed too. The gears are pressed on and can be slightly off. The 11 and 12 models have more top end then 13, 14 and maybe 15 because of a Camshaft change. Suzuki on the newer models went for more low-end with a camshaft change. I have stock cams a high compression piston. A lot of guys shave cylinder for more compression and run stock piston. It’s all about what you want and who you work with on your engine. IMO Jamie is one of the best! He’s a pure pleasure to work with. At least that was my experience. If you tear into the head take pictures of the camshafts in time. It will help on assembly because it looks slightly different then the manual. I struggled getting Cams timed properly and wish I had done this. My problems happened after having Camshafts degreed.

Post a reply to: 2011 RMZ 450 mods

The Latest