2011 CRF250R STARTING ISSUE

Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 6:28am
My bike has done this a couple times where it sat for a while then wouldn’t start. Would spend days trying to kick it over then eventually would always get it to start, then after that it would start perfectly every time. I just put new piston in and it ran great before and now I put everything back together and it’s not starting, been trying for a couple days. The valve clearances and timing is all perfect minus I just checked the ignition timing and it seems to be off a bit. Just weird why it would run perfect before and only be trouble to start once in a while. And now that I took everything apart and back it’s doing the same thing. I put new spark plug in that’s good. I even put fuel in the spark plug hole to see if my fuel filter was gummed up or something. If my ignition timing was the problem I couldn’t see how my bike would run perfect before and only not when it sat for a long time. I’m thinking about replacing fuel filter before giving up and taking it to the shop so any advice would help.
|
4/28/2018 6:38pm
How long is a while when you speak of it setting?

Paw Paw
It did it last year after sitting for 5 months. But then once I got it started it ran perfect. Then up until now it did start perfect 2-4 kicks and now after the top end I can’t get it to start up. Wondering if it’s a plug I disconnected or something fuel related . I might go buy some electrical connection cleaner and dialectic grease and clean all the connects to eliminate that suspicion. I’m wondering if the fuel pump possibly being bad would be affected by me disconnecting the fuel lines and maybe now there’s not enough fuel? Just don’t know.
Paw Paw 271
4/28/2018 6:43pm
I suggest you still have old dried fuel in the system. The injector, pump and filters all need to be either cleaned or replaced.
RE: your timing marks issue.....Check for a bad flywheel key.
Did you replace the timing chain?

Paw Paw

The Shop

kb228
4/28/2018 6:43pm
If you let it sit that long i wouldnt be surprised if the gas gummed up the pump or injector
4/28/2018 6:49pm
kb228 wrote:
If you let it sit that long i wouldnt be surprised if the gas gummed up the pump or injector
It does have some old fuel, It’s just so weird that it ran on it before the piston change and not now. No didn’t replace the timing chain, am going to pull the flywheel and check for the bad flywheel key for that issue just waiting on a puller to show up. Would putting injector cleaner and fresh fuel work if I can’t get it started? Just from trying to start it would the cleaner go thru the injectors?

Thanks
Paw Paw 271
4/29/2018 6:35am
You will need to pull the injector and either have it cleaned or use a ultrasonic cleaner on it.
FYI: The timing chain needs to be replaced to get the marks lined up as it is very worn. The flywheel may be ok.
Old gas is just that , old gas. It's not good for your bike.

Paw Paw
4/29/2018 12:11pm
You will need to pull the injector and either have it cleaned or use a ultrasonic cleaner on it. FYI: The timing chain needs to be...
You will need to pull the injector and either have it cleaned or use a ultrasonic cleaner on it.
FYI: The timing chain needs to be replaced to get the marks lined up as it is very worn. The flywheel may be ok.
Old gas is just that , old gas. It's not good for your bike.

Paw Paw
So I got it running it sounds mint. Won’t no exactly what it was but I cleaned and greased all the connections and cleaned up the one ground by the radiator that was pretty dirty. Did 3 compression kicks and one hard one and fired up first kick! Was a happy moment in the shop. Thanks for the help, I will still pull flywheel and inspect key but atleast I can start my heat cycles for the new piston rings
SWMX
4/29/2018 5:01pm
when you installed the cam, chain, and tensioner was there chain slack on the exhaust side of the cam? that could be your mistiming issue
SWMX
4/29/2018 5:02pm
i also agree with what’s stated above.. pump gas is filthy and when left sitting it will clog injectors and pumps
4/29/2018 5:22pm
SWMX wrote:
i also agree with what’s stated above.. pump gas is filthy and when left sitting it will clog injectors and pumps
Nope it was all fine and I checked it again and it’s not as bad as the pic I was at a bit of an angle. Ya I agree the pump gas isn’t good sitting I busted my arm last April and neglected it for months since I couldn’t ride. I’ll make sure to drain it now If I plan on having it sit even tho that fuel wasn’t the issue this time
Radfonz
4/30/2018 1:50am
disconnect the capacitor and plug a 12v battery into loom to prime the fuel pump works. then try and start it with battery connected. .
4/30/2018 6:28am
Radfonz wrote:
disconnect the capacitor and plug a 12v battery into loom to prime the fuel pump works. then try and start it with battery connected. .
It works fine, it was just a ground not hooked up properly preventing it from starting, or one of the electrical plugs. Thanks

Post a reply to: 2011 CRF250R STARTING ISSUE

The Latest