2009 YZ450F stumbles and spits under acceleration

10/24/2018 9:50am
So, I just got my carb back from the dealer and the did a full rebuild and clean on the carb. The reason I brought it in to the dealer was because the bike was running weird there was no smooth acceleration and It was spitting under acceleration only when you roll into the throttle. I just got it back and its doing the same thing but worse. There is not smooth acceleration its either all or nothing.

If you slowly roll the throttle back it begins to feel like it has no power and just pops like crazy but goes no where, but if I snap the throttle it goes like a normal bike.

The bike has a full dr.d exhaust and twin air, air filter but I got the dealer to rebuild the carb on stock jetting. I have played around with the fuel mixture screw and it does not make a difference. I have tried everything from .5 turns to 3 and it still does it.

Anyone have any ideas? I have been riding it in Ontario Canada and its like 4 degrees Celsius here but I have had my bike out on a frozen lake so I don't think weather makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/24/2018 9:55am
Possibly an air leak? Jetting not correct?
Paul_Pitzonka
10/24/2018 10:54am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 11:03am
The cold temperature may play an effect here colder air= more air... question if you keep it choked does it react better? if so I’d say you have a lean pilot circuit... maybe the reason it reacts correctly to a quicker throttle snap is it’s transfering off the pilot circuit so quickly you don’t notice the stumble/hesitation... always start simple first... order I would run through diagnostics... if it runs correctly on choke that normally indicates a lean pilot circuit so either too small of pilot jet or dirty pilot circuit/ possible air leak/ start there... if that doesn’t cure it look into your accelerator pump timing/diaphragm, also check the squirt nozzle for the accelerator pump as I have seen these gum up before and cause all sorts of headaches ...check the vacuum plate seal on the slide..( just because it was at a dealer doesn’t mean they looked at everything)
Paw Paw 271
10/24/2018 11:05am
It is running very lean.

Paw Paw
10/24/2018 12:53pm
Ok so I just was trouble shooting the bike for ever and some one suggested to run it with the choke out. it runs way better with the choke pulled out. It only sputters a little bit when slow acceleration but it runs way better with the choke pulled out.

Im not quite sure in the direction i should go from here. obviously like paw paw said it running lean becuas pulling the choke out richens the A/R ratio. it is stock jetting in the bike as of now but fuel is definitaly my issue.

Thanks again

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
10/24/2018 2:43pm
Remember that the choke on your carb is like a separate carb, so this indicates you are very lean with the choke turned off. It could be an air leak, plugged jet or bad fuel screw o ring or some other small item. Start by looking for an air leak, then inspect the jets and o ring. The fact that it runs well when accelerated quickly tell me the accelerator pump is good. Now the pump timing can be off a bit and cause the stumble. Check it as well.

Paw Paw
10/24/2018 4:16pm
Ok so I did some looking around and im pretty sure its not an air leak, it is thigh around the air box and tight around the rubber boot going to the top end.

could it still be a plugged jet if the carb was completely rebuilt? I mean like unless the guy who rebuilt the carb put the new jets in dirty I don't thing that a dirty jet would be the problem.

im pretty new to the whole carb thing so how would i go about checking the pump timing?

thanks
Paul_Pitzonka
10/24/2018 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 4:32pm
Toppman 16 wrote:
Ok so I did some looking around and im pretty sure its not an air leak, it is thigh around the air box and tight around...
Ok so I did some looking around and im pretty sure its not an air leak, it is thigh around the air box and tight around the rubber boot going to the top end.

could it still be a plugged jet if the carb was completely rebuilt? I mean like unless the guy who rebuilt the carb put the new jets in dirty I don't thing that a dirty jet would be the problem.

im pretty new to the whole carb thing so how would i go about checking the pump timing?

thanks
Just because the boots are tight doesn’t mean they won’t leak air/ take some carb cleaner/ starting fluid or wd-40 and spray it around the connection points with the bike running... if the idle picks up when you spray it then you have an air leak at that point... (if this all started after the bike sat for a descent amount of time with fuel in it I would suspect a plugged passage or dirty jet... the mid carb on these carbs are full of wormhole style passages and sometimes dirt will sit in the corner of them causing a fuel restriction)... if you want to check accelerator pump timing ithere are plenty of videos out there explaining how to do so...
10/25/2018 10:19am
Alright so I have spent 2 days trying to figure out why the bike sputters with the choke out. Obvisouly it is running lean like paw paw said. I have checked for air leaks, nothing. I sprayed wd-40 around and idle has not increased everything looks to be sealed. I timed the accelerator pump and it was not far off of perfect when I started looking at it.

I think my next step is to start taking the carb off and a part once again. but im not sure ill find anything.

I was looking at the old jets that came off the bike and the carb rebuild kit came with OEM jets.
Would it be possible that the bike is running lean becuase of the new twin air filter i put on, my full dr.d with stock jetting? the twin air filter is definatly thinner than my old one that i took off. The stock jets that came out of the bike are as follows:

Main is a 160, pilot is a 45

Anyone have any other suggestions before i take it to the dealer to have them look at it?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/25/2018 10:50am
Toppman 16 wrote:
Alright so I have spent 2 days trying to figure out why the bike sputters with the choke out. Obvisouly it is running lean like paw...
Alright so I have spent 2 days trying to figure out why the bike sputters with the choke out. Obvisouly it is running lean like paw paw said. I have checked for air leaks, nothing. I sprayed wd-40 around and idle has not increased everything looks to be sealed. I timed the accelerator pump and it was not far off of perfect when I started looking at it.

I think my next step is to start taking the carb off and a part once again. but im not sure ill find anything.

I was looking at the old jets that came off the bike and the carb rebuild kit came with OEM jets.
Would it be possible that the bike is running lean becuase of the new twin air filter i put on, my full dr.d with stock jetting? the twin air filter is definatly thinner than my old one that i took off. The stock jets that came out of the bike are as follows:

Main is a 160, pilot is a 45

Anyone have any other suggestions before i take it to the dealer to have them look at it?
Call DRD and ask what they recommend for jetting.
10/25/2018 10:52am
DRD jetting for the exhaust I bought says you don't need to rejet
Sean_Wolf
9/11/2021 10:41pm
Did u ever figure this out? Having the same issue..
Paw Paw 271
9/12/2021 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2021 1:16pm
Check fuel pump delivery in the carb. The diaphram does dry out and get hard and this causes it to split which reduces the fuel delivery when you twist the throttle as a lean condition has been created. There is also a jet in the card that can also reduce this fuel delivery from the fuel pump if dirty. It is called the leak jet and is located inside the float bowl. The fuel screw setting can also cause this if it is set too lean. It should be set at about 2 turns out from seated.

PawPaw

Post a reply to: 2009 YZ450F stumbles and spits under acceleration

The Latest