2008 rmz250 gearshift cam neutral position

Related:
Create New Tag

5/9/2018 7:17 AM

Hello, I’m in the process of reassembling my ‘08 rmz250 bottom end after replacing the transmission. The service manual tells you to find neutral, yet the picture does not seem to indicate neutral and the text is very vague. It seems as though there are two positions that seem to be “neutral” but I’m not sure which is correct. Before I put it together wrong and end up splitting the cases again, does anyone know which way the gearshift cam is supposed to be turned to be in “neutral”?

Here’s a photo from the service manual right by where it says “make sure it’s in neutral” My thinking is that once the cases are together and the pawl is installed, the “neutral” nub on the star wheel won’t align with the gear shift cam in this position. Photo

|

5/9/2018 8:42 AM

It takes some finesse but you should be able to shift through all the gears with it split.

|

5/9/2018 9:20 AM

I guess I am an odd ball, but I have always put these transmission units together in the clutch side case so that the shift cam can be properly orientated to neutral with the use of the detent praws and springs. It is just so much easier than doing it the way the manual shows it as you are flying a bit blind on the orientation. My way also helps hold the parts in place.

Paw Paw

|

5/9/2018 11:46 AM

I was able to shift through the gears with the cases still split, and I’m pretty sure I found neutral and it is not where the service manual is saying, the nub on the shift drum is actually going to be about 45 degrees counter clockwise to be in neutral... or at least I’m hoping.

|