2007 cr 125 won't run right

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2018 6:47 PM

My 2007 cr 125 died while riding, I tried to start it again and the kick start made this squeaking noise and it was stiffand wouldn't start again. A few weeks later I checked out the piston and rings, from what I could see the piston was fine, rings were fine and cylinder walls had no scratches. (Also a new Wiseco durability piston was installed and was passed break in). I did a compression test and it only showed 90 psi... But when I went to start it, the kick start squeak had left and it started up fine, but it ran like crap! Did not even sound like a dirtbike and it vibrated like crazy. I don't know what to do now, maybe it's in the bottom end? I have no idea and any help would be great, Thanks ! 2007 Honda Cr 125

|

2/7/2018 7:47 PM

OK, the low compression is most likely the rings being stuck in the groves in the piston. This is caused from over heating or poor fitment or incorrect ring end gap., Also, 90 psi is too low for the engine to start, so either you have a faulty gage or testing was not correct.
The grinding and sticking of the kick start lever is most likely a bad crank or rod bearing.
You need to do a complete teardown and inspection.

Paw Paw

|

2/8/2018 1:13 PM

Vibrating would point towards a main crank bearing; if either go, it will lead to excessive vibration from either one.

You need to replace seals as well. Seals go first and then bearings die.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

2/10/2018 1:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2018 1:20 PM

Yep. As Paw Paw 271 clearly indicated, teardown required. Inspect and correct.

I hate to see those bikes "go by the wayside".

It cooled down, did a basic "settling-in" and tried to reorient everything between the soft cases and hard shafts/bearings.as it cooled. It tried! That is why it fired up and ran like crap later.

With unknown/shot bearings throughout your engine, if you are expert at rebuilds, rebuild the whole unit. If not, take it to a pro. It would suck to replace only the crank bearings and find issues elsewhere. $$$.

Don't hope the issue is going away with the passage of time.

|

2/10/2018 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2018 1:51 PM

Good Luck! Two Canucks with 05'-07' issues. One with one post, one with three posts. Crazy!

|

2/19/2018 8:30 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

Vibrating would point towards a main crank bearing; if either go, it will lead to excessive vibration from either one.

How much do you think it would cost me in total for all of this, roughly. If you have any idea thanks !

|

2/21/2018 6:02 AM

TrailDigger wrote:

Marco'scr125 wrote:

How much do you think it would cost me in total for all of this, roughly. If you have any idea thanks !

I had a bearing go out in my bottom end a couple years ago. Bike vibrated a bunch, sounded awful, but I had to ride it back to my house or else I'd be pushing it for a long time. It made it back but sounded terrible. Took the motor out of the frame and went to a shop and gave them just the motor, not even with the cylinder on it. Just the bottom end of the motor and they charged me $500 for the bottom end rebuild. Not sure if that price is high or low compared to others.

|

2/21/2018 9:05 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

Marco'scr125 wrote:

Rohr144 wrote:

I had a bearing go out in my bottom end a couple years ago. Bike vibrated a bunch, sounded awful, but I had to ride it back to my house or else I'd be pushing it for a long time. It made it back but sounded terrible. Took the motor out of the frame and went to a shop and gave them just the motor, not even with the cylinder on it. Just the bottom end of the motor and they charged me $500 for the bottom end rebuild. Not sure if that price is high or low compared to others.

Ok thank you, that's very helpful!

|

2/21/2018 9:07 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

Marco'scr125 wrote:

Rohr144 wrote:

Ok thanks, that's very helpful!

|

2/22/2018 12:19 PM

I rebuilt my 06 CR125 last year (top and bottom end) due to vibration and eventual explosion. Use OEM parts for the bottom end and all seals and gaskets!

|

2006 CR125
2015 CRF250

2/22/2018 4:14 PM

jmart wrote:

I rebuilt my 06 CR125 last year (top and bottom end) due to vibration and eventual explosion. Use OEM parts for the bottom end and all seals and gaskets!

Sweet, thanks! And did you do that yourself or did you take it in to the shop ?

|

3/30/2018 10:19 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

OK, the low compression is most likely the rings being stuck in the groves in the piston. This is caused from over heating or poor fitment or incorrect ring end gap., Also, 90 psi is too low for the engine to start, so either you have a faulty gage or testing was not correct.
The grinding and sticking of the kick start lever is most likely a bad crank or rod bearing.
You need to do a complete teardown and inspection.

Paw Paw

I would like to, I just do not know what to look for

|

3/30/2018 10:21 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

Marco'scr125 wrote:

Rohr144 wrote:

was that including parts ?

|

3/30/2018 10:22 PM

jmart wrote:

How much did it cost you for all the parts ? Did you do the rebuild?

|

3/30/2018 11:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2018 12:39 PM

I think around $500 CDN but could be less (exchange rate makes a big difference). I bought OEM everything from Motosport. I did it myself

|

2006 CR125
2015 CRF250

3/31/2018 9:55 AM

Marco'scr125 wrote:

Rohr144 wrote:

Marco'scr125 wrote:

was that including parts ?

Yep that was including parts.

|