2007 KX250 desired offset for better turning?

Looking for input from experienced suspension guys.

My stock forks were rebuilt and revalved by A1 in Atlanta for my weight/riding ability. They feel great when pointed in a straight line, and don't bottom too hard off hard hits either.

The problem is that the bike does not want to corner. It doesn't want to lay down and sit in a rut like my KTM, or my old RM125, or even my 99 and 02 KX250.

I've tried the PC links, which lowers the rear of the bike to kick the front end out a bit. It didn't make that big of an improvement with cornering, and I didn't like how low the bike sat with them on (I am super tall).

Stock triples have 25mm offset. In 2003 and earlier the offset was 22mm. Those 03 and earlier bikes handled a lot better.

I think I can still get 22mm or 22.5mm offset triples, but they are gonna cost a lot.

Will going to 22mm offset triples fix this bike's handling without having to run longer pull rods (and lowering the rear end and seat height)?

|
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/18/2021 11:30am
My guess is that it would help. I wish I could remember what I had on my 05 kx250, but I'm pretty sure they were 22mm. The bike felt pretty similar to my 09 yz250 in a lot of ways. I never had the stock clamps on my 05 so I couldn't compare to be sure.

I actually hated the way my YZ pushed in turns and felt way better when I put on 22.5mm clamps.
skyrebel88
8/18/2021 11:39am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2021 11:48am
i bought a used 02 kx250 triple clamp (22mm) and installed them on my 07 kx250. You just need to switch the steering stem from the 07 to the 02 clamps cause the 02 stem is too long if i remember correctly. I also go the 02 front # plate with long front fender screws to hold it in place. It made a very noticeable difference with how stable the bike was on straight aways, rough straights, and being smooth/ flowing in the corner. I'd recommend it. The bike became a stable front end steering bike haha.

*i also added a 1/4" internal spacer to the shock to lower it (this equals about .75" lower seat height) and WOW. Just like the reviews say about the new lower husky's feeling like a powerful pit bike is exactly how my bike felt. Just adjust the fork height to your liking. I wear 30 long jeans. sag set at ~100mm
28hall
8/18/2021 1:53pm
What sag did you run with the pc link? I ran 22 clamps and the pc link on my 05 and it handled really well. sag needs to be in the 95-100 range with the link from memory.
8/18/2021 2:25pm
skyrebel88 wrote:
i bought a used 02 kx250 triple clamp (22mm) and installed them on my 07 kx250. You just need to switch the steering stem from the...
i bought a used 02 kx250 triple clamp (22mm) and installed them on my 07 kx250. You just need to switch the steering stem from the 07 to the 02 clamps cause the 02 stem is too long if i remember correctly. I also go the 02 front # plate with long front fender screws to hold it in place. It made a very noticeable difference with how stable the bike was on straight aways, rough straights, and being smooth/ flowing in the corner. I'd recommend it. The bike became a stable front end steering bike haha.

*i also added a 1/4" internal spacer to the shock to lower it (this equals about .75" lower seat height) and WOW. Just like the reviews say about the new lower husky's feeling like a powerful pit bike is exactly how my bike felt. Just adjust the fork height to your liking. I wear 30 long jeans. sag set at ~100mm
I have some 02 triples in the shop, may give them a go.

The Shop

8/22/2021 7:16am
from "turbo dan" on TT
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1201197-the-best-fix-for-the-05-07…

-----------------

I got to test ride my 05 today in its latest configuration with a set of 2002 KX triple clamps. That is a special year because it was the first year with the 48mm KYB forks and the last year with the 22mm offset. The clamp diameters are the same as the later KX250's from 03 on at 59mm lower and 56mm upper. Earlier L series clamps for the 46mm forks use a 58.5mm lower diameter and a 56mm upper and are not compatible with the later 48mm forks. You could use them if you also swapped over a set of 46mm open cartridge forks but in my case I am pretty happy with the way the 48mm TC forks are working.

The idea crossed my mind while researching chassis geometry and trying to figure out what makes one bike handle so much different than another. The 05-07 KX has a fairly steep head angle at 26 degrees and retains the same 25mm offset as the previous KX250 chassis. Prior to the 2003 KX250, Kawasaki used a 22mm offset which is coincidentally almost exactly what RG3 recommends for the 03 and later bikes. If you want to shell out $600 for a very nice set of RG3 clamps you could go that way but I am running low on funds for this sort of thing so I began looking into the L series clamps. Reducing the offset has several effects. It increases trail, reduces the wheelbase, moves the weight distribution forward to bear more weight on the front wheel and reduces the tendency for the front wheel to turn as the bike is leaned into a corner. The key here is applying more weight to the front wheel and increasing trail.

Its a pretty easy swap. The clamp diameters are the same, the center to center distance between the fork tubes in the same and the head bearings are the same. What you need to swap is the steering stem since the 03 and later bikes use a longer stem, you may need to do something about your bar mounts because the 02 has the mounts about a quarter inch closer together, the front number plate doesn't have any mounting provisions and the brake line guide bolt holes are closer together on the 02. Minor stuff really. For now I have my number plate zip tied on but I think I'll eventually buy an L series plate to mount onto the L series clamps.

The difference is very noticeable. I felt the steering was lighter when moving off of center but at the same time the front end has less of a tendency to follow the irregularities of the terrain or try to climb up the side of a rut. The front tire feels more planted coming into corners. I can get on the power earlier without the bike wanting to stand up mid corner and under steer. Its now easier to hold a line and make adjustments mid corner. Right now I have the forks about 11mm up in the clamps and I may go higher just to see what it does. I have not experienced any headshake and the front end didn't wash out once. The bike handles great. For the price of some used clamps its a great fix.

Edited September 12, 2016 by turbo dan
8/22/2021 7:16am
Looks like the 02 clamps are my only option nobody offers clamps for a 05-07 KX250 anymore.

Post a reply to: 2007 KX250 desired offset for better turning?

The Latest