2006 crf250r repair ideas needed!

Have a 2006 crf250. Bought not running with no spark. Replaced cdi, stator, coil, spark plug. Continuity tested all wiring and all checked out. Checked, rechecked, and triple checked timing. All good. Tried disconnecting kill switch, still nothing. Checked all grounds. Any ideas? I’ve gone from zero spark, to now I have spark but only at the end of the kick stroke. Will start if I pull it behind something and bump start but will only run at mid-upper rpms.
|
Paw Paw 271
11/7/2021 3:43pm
I would suspect leaking valves and or valve timing. Do you have bright blue spark. If not check coil ohms and dirty coil and engine mounts.

PawPAW
11/7/2021 4:44pm
Spark is my issue. It does one spark, at the end of the kick stroke and that’s it. I’m not worried about a leak down or any further into engine until I can get spark. I have checked, checked, and checked timing. replaced coil, stator, spark plug, and cdi. Disconnected kill switch and scrubbed the grounds. Still one spark, bright blue, on the end of the kick stroke and that’s it.
mrg172
Fantasy
451st
11/7/2021 7:30pm
Did you put an aftermarket stator in it or oem? I had an 09 Crf that someone had the same problem with and put a new cheapo stator in it. it would spark, but only intermittently. Got a used oem stator off eBay and it worked perfectly. Just a thought as electrical parts can sometimes be a crap shoot if they’re not good quality.

The Shop

Factor E
11/8/2021 12:29am
Pull the flywheel
Woodruff key may have broken and cause flywheel to move.
11/8/2021 6:05am
mrg172 wrote:
Did you put an aftermarket stator in it or oem? I had an 09 Crf that someone had the same problem with and put a new...
Did you put an aftermarket stator in it or oem? I had an 09 Crf that someone had the same problem with and put a new cheapo stator in it. it would spark, but only intermittently. Got a used oem stator off eBay and it worked perfectly. Just a thought as electrical parts can sometimes be a crap shoot if they’re not good quality.
Cheapo aftermarket stator. The stator is what I replaced that made it go from zero spark, to spark only once. I will look for a known good oem and try that next.
11/8/2021 6:07am
Factor E wrote:
Pull the flywheel
Woodruff key may have broken and cause flywheel to move.
Yup did that. Woodruff key still intact, added a little lube to the shaft and put back on to torque. Thought maybe it wasn't slid on far enough.
kb228
11/8/2021 8:20am
Did you replace the flywheel
11/8/2021 8:29am
kb228 wrote:
I did not. It really does look like new though. No corrosion, scuffs, or worn spots. Maybe I should think about changing it too though.
11/14/2021 6:39pm
Update: I replaced the new eBay stator with a used eBay oem stator and a used oem flywheel. Bike now runs. Not sure if it was stator or flywheel but whatever it was it worked! Thanks for the advice.
willbilly
11/15/2021 5:14pm
kb228 wrote:
I did not. It really does look like new though. No corrosion, scuffs, or worn spots. Maybe I should think about changing it too though.
Glad you got it running. Just a helpful note. The crankshaft and flywheel hole should be free of any oil when installing. The woodruff key is only for alignment. The dry press fit of the flywheel on the crank holds it in position.
gharmon
11/18/2021 3:43pm
Update: I replaced the new eBay stator with a used eBay oem stator and a used oem flywheel. Bike now runs. Not sure if it was...
Update: I replaced the new eBay stator with a used eBay oem stator and a used oem flywheel. Bike now runs. Not sure if it was stator or flywheel but whatever it was it worked! Thanks for the advice.
I had a 2015 that drove me insane twice. The first time I replaced a ton of stuff it ended up being a damn fuel pump. Yours dont have one so it not that. The second time I replaced, check, triple checked, coil, rectifier. It had ran hot right before taking a shit. I replace stator and it tried to fire a little. I then put on a buddy's used flywheel. Bam!! Fired right and has ran great since.

Without knowing the history I would check those valves out immediately...
11/18/2021 6:23pm
gharmon wrote:
I had a 2015 that drove me insane twice. The first time I replaced a ton of stuff it ended up being a damn fuel pump...
I had a 2015 that drove me insane twice. The first time I replaced a ton of stuff it ended up being a damn fuel pump. Yours dont have one so it not that. The second time I replaced, check, triple checked, coil, rectifier. It had ran hot right before taking a shit. I replace stator and it tried to fire a little. I then put on a buddy's used flywheel. Bam!! Fired right and has ran great since.

Yup that’s what I’m on now. Seats are worn past service limit. Time for some head work!
YZed250
11/19/2021 10:27am
gharmon wrote:
I had a 2015 that drove me insane twice. The first time I replaced a ton of stuff it ended up being a damn fuel pump...

Yup that’s what I’m on now. Seats are worn past service limit. Time for some head work!
Those bikes are a lot of $$ once they get hours on them. Hope your bottom end is good after you spend all that money on the head. I see a lot of them with brass filings in the filter and it's game over/part out.
11/19/2021 11:44am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2021 11:51am
YZed250 wrote:
Those bikes are a lot of $$ once they get hours on them. Hope your bottom end is good after you spend all that money on...
Those bikes are a lot of $$ once they get hours on them. Hope your bottom end is good after you spend all that money on the head. I see a lot of them with brass filings in the filter and it's game over/part out.
10-4. The projects I pick up are almost always at the "Part Out" stage ha. This was actually a customers bike that I put a crank kit, piston kit, and clutch in like three years ago. Lost spark about a month ago and he called me and asked if I wanted to buy it and being as I knew that the bottom end, clutch, and piston were recently done (and who did the work Wink I bought it. Also just ordered a new Cylinder Works head today with new springs, valves, etc. On the plus side it already has black wheels with aftermarket hubs and super clean dual yoshimura exhaust. It's been well used but with some TLC it'll make a nice spare bike to have around or maybe just move it and put it into a different project.

Post a reply to: 2006 crf250r repair ideas needed!

The Latest