2006 KX250 Best mods?

Anaxdlere
Edited Date/Time 4/2/2021 10:47pm
I just picked up a 2006 KX250 (going full two stroke army) at a great price. I have spent the last day and half searching for what mods are the most recommended. Other than the Pro Circuit rear linkage, any folks here have some suggestions on what upgrades you consider to be essential or even "while you are at it....?"

Thanks in advance!
|
brody
2/19/2019 12:55pm
bars ,arc or works connection levers, rad braces, revalve, fresh rubber, gas and seat time
dkurtd
2/19/2019 2:59pm
The worst thing about the 05-07 is handling, the best things you can do is the Pro Circuit link to help with the stink bug rearend then get the suspension done. Those two things will make the biggest difference. These bikes were called the stomp and drag bikes because they cornered so terrible. I have a 2005 and I put 2012 KX250F Showa SFF forks and triple clamps on mine with a Factory Connection revalve, I also put a 2016 KX250F shock on it, as I wanted the ability to adjust highspeed damping. I think mine handles much better then stock and I enjoy riding it.

As for the motor, they run really well on race gas. The mods I have done to the motor are limited to a FMF Gnarly pipe (tried a SST and Fatty but liked the bottom end of the Gnarly), and I put Vforce reeds in.

There are quite a few threads here on Vital with regards to these bikes and what some of the other members have done.
Anaxdlere
2/19/2019 5:25pm
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. I was debating on trying to revalve the stock forks or look for some of the newer 250F forks.
dkurtd
2/19/2019 6:11pm
If you decide to do later KX250F forks buy 2013 or newer as they are a 2nd gen SFF and I believe a better fork then the 2011/2012. Also if you do the fork conversion you will need to modify the steering stop, Trick Engineering makes a stop that is removable so you don't need to weld anything, below is the link.

http://trickeng.com/product/kx125-250-steering-stop-adapter/

The Shop

Anaxdlere
2/20/2019 6:53am
Thanks again! I am hunting for a good deal on a set f 2013 or newer forks. Doing some research to see if 2013 triples will bolt right up (along with that steering stop adapter).

Can't wait for this weather to warm up a bit so I can take it for a good shakedown run.
BobPA
2/20/2019 9:39am
Stock forks are fine after a re valve. I would not get totally caught up on the internet telling you the bike will not turn etc. Ride it for a while and make your own decisions. I also had an '06, and with a simple re valve and springs for my weight, the bike handled excellent. I did not feel the need for the suspension link either. I ran a flywheel weight with the Gnarly pipe....But I spent a descent time in the woods on the bike. They do like a bit of race fuel mixed in to keep the detonation at bay. The engines make great power....Everyone who rode my bike loved it.

Newer forks will bolt right up, you will also need the newer triple clamps as well.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
2/20/2019 9:51am
BobPA wrote:
Stock forks are fine after a re valve. I would not get totally caught up on the internet telling you the bike will not turn etc...
Stock forks are fine after a re valve. I would not get totally caught up on the internet telling you the bike will not turn etc. Ride it for a while and make your own decisions. I also had an '06, and with a simple re valve and springs for my weight, the bike handled excellent. I did not feel the need for the suspension link either. I ran a flywheel weight with the Gnarly pipe....But I spent a descent time in the woods on the bike. They do like a bit of race fuel mixed in to keep the detonation at bay. The engines make great power....Everyone who rode my bike loved it.

Newer forks will bolt right up, you will also need the newer triple clamps as well.
Yes I rode his. I loved everything about it but the narrow pegs. So that would be my first mod, WIDE pegs.
dkurtd
2/20/2019 10:30am
If a fork swap is something you are considering then be aware that stock triple clamp offset is 25mm, the 2011 and up 250F's are 22.5. In my opinion this was also a big factor in making the bike turn better.

And, yes all the newer 250F triple clamps will fit. You only need to account for the steering stop.

Again allot of good links here on vital about these bikes, here is a recent one.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Thoughts-on-2007-KX250-s…
H4L
2/23/2019 7:30am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2019 4:38pm
dkurtd wrote:
The worst thing about the 05-07 is handling, the best things you can do is the Pro Circuit link to help with the stink bug rearend...
The worst thing about the 05-07 is handling, the best things you can do is the Pro Circuit link to help with the stink bug rearend then get the suspension done. Those two things will make the biggest difference. These bikes were called the stomp and drag bikes because they cornered so terrible. I have a 2005 and I put 2012 KX250F Showa SFF forks and triple clamps on mine with a Factory Connection revalve, I also put a 2016 KX250F shock on it, as I wanted the ability to adjust highspeed damping. I think mine handles much better then stock and I enjoy riding it.

As for the motor, they run really well on race gas. The mods I have done to the motor are limited to a FMF Gnarly pipe (tried a SST and Fatty but liked the bottom end of the Gnarly), and I put Vforce reeds in.

There are quite a few threads here on Vital with regards to these bikes and what some of the other members have done.
Good advice.. Rode an 05 model I was planning on buying in 07 & was surprised at how bad the 05-07 chassis models handled. The previous gen KX's are much better IMHO.
OP - Good luck with trying to get it to handle decent. Suspension work should be high on the priority list of mods to do. If you ride it in the woods at lower speeds the bad handling traits wont be as noticeable. If you plan on riding it at the track I'd imagine an upgrade of the forks with a rear link will help.

MXA also has an article on an 06 model with upgraded 08 KX250F forks.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/reviving-one-of-the-worst-bikes-ever-tes…
skyrebel88
2/25/2019 7:30am
If u want to cheap out u could just lower the rear when u get the rear shock revalved. It is a tall bike. Supposedly it helps with handling, but idk. It’s easy to do urself. Next essentials I would say are, 11oz fly wheel weight, revalve front forks, stick with stock gearing or higher to ride mid to high second in corners so clicking third is easy, bogging third sucks. Next I would prioritize getting the platinum 2 pipe.
KDXGarage
2/28/2019 11:26am
Step 1. Revalve forks

Step 2. Smaller offset clamps and / or link

Step 3. Other stuff

Check the air gap

Buy a service manual, the best money one can spend on a bike.
Anaxdlere
2/28/2019 12:07pm
All great advice! I received the Pro Circuit link in the mail yesterday. The forks look like they may have been revalved, but I believe it was for woods, so I am going to crack them open and see if I can tell what is inside before doing anything drastic with them. It has TAG triple clamps on them, which according to documentation look like 22mm offset
I will definitely check the air gap and then just give it some seat time when the weather finally allows and see how it does and go from there.
Thanks again for all the great advice
bvm111
2/28/2019 1:04pm
For what its worth I have checked and adjusted the Air gap from one end of the service limit to the other and mine still pings or sneezes/ coughs under load, such as third gear on the face of a jump. I have a TMR modified cylinder and head and I run C12 straight.... it still does it!

TMR recommended a 7.0 slide over the stock 8.0 and I have noticed that the jetting is more stable with that slide installed... you might want to try it if you have issues. I run stock jetting with 7.0 slide per the manual for elevation and temp and it runs strong!

I found an OEM flywheel for cheap that is the next heavier and to tell you the truth I don't like it as much as the stock flywheel on a MX track.

I have the PC link and with revalved and properly sprung suspension it turns as well as 2016 KX450... that may not be saying much but it isn't as bad as MXA says it is!

Over all I love mine I just seem to ride my 450 much more than my 250 lately, I did just pick up a new pail of C12 so I see some ripping in my future!!!!
BobPA
2/28/2019 4:19pm
H4L wrote:
Good advice.. Rode an 05 model I was planning on buying in 07 & was surprised at how bad the 05-07 chassis models handled. The previous...
Good advice.. Rode an 05 model I was planning on buying in 07 & was surprised at how bad the 05-07 chassis models handled. The previous gen KX's are much better IMHO.
OP - Good luck with trying to get it to handle decent. Suspension work should be high on the priority list of mods to do. If you ride it in the woods at lower speeds the bad handling traits wont be as noticeable. If you plan on riding it at the track I'd imagine an upgrade of the forks with a rear link will help.

MXA also has an article on an 06 model with upgraded 08 KX250F forks.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/reviving-one-of-the-worst-bikes-ever-tes…
I put just over 100 hours on my 06 before selling it. 60% was MX and 40% off-road. I grew up racing a 2003 KX 250...so maybe I just gel with the chassis? Had my ‘06 on every different soil/track type you can think of. It was always predictable, and very easy to go fast on. Had a few AMA Pro license holders ride it, and surprisingly loved it. It was just a bit soft on an MX track at times as I had it valves for GNCC...so it was usable in the woods. The Jammer was also pumped to see a Kawi two stroke going well at his place...

IMO a fork change is not at all a necessity. Especially on the ‘06-‘07’s....as I believe the ‘05’s used a different fork. If mine were a full time MX bike I would have taken the flywheel weight off, or have gone to a lighter one. If it were off-road only, I would have liked a bigger FWW as it liked to spin the tire in the rocks. Mine had a Phathead Head with the pump gas insert, it still liked a bit of race fuel mixed in, as it would ping without it.

H4L
3/1/2019 7:53pm
BobPA wrote:
I put just over 100 hours on my 06 before selling it. 60% was MX and 40% off-road. I grew up racing a 2003 KX 250...so...
I put just over 100 hours on my 06 before selling it. 60% was MX and 40% off-road. I grew up racing a 2003 KX 250...so maybe I just gel with the chassis? Had my ‘06 on every different soil/track type you can think of. It was always predictable, and very easy to go fast on. Had a few AMA Pro license holders ride it, and surprisingly loved it. It was just a bit soft on an MX track at times as I had it valves for GNCC...so it was usable in the woods. The Jammer was also pumped to see a Kawi two stroke going well at his place...

IMO a fork change is not at all a necessity. Especially on the ‘06-‘07’s....as I believe the ‘05’s used a different fork. If mine were a full time MX bike I would have taken the flywheel weight off, or have gone to a lighter one. If it were off-road only, I would have liked a bigger FWW as it liked to spin the tire in the rocks. Mine had a Phathead Head with the pump gas insert, it still liked a bit of race fuel mixed in, as it would ping without it.

Interesting. I found the opposite with the last KX250 chassis.
3/4/2019 9:31am
I have a 05 KX 250 and love the thing. Put a pc pipe on it jetted it right to their specs with reeds and the thing rips. I changed the gearing because I felt 2nd gear was too low and 3rd was too high. Going to get the linkage here soon because it is pretty stink buggish. Just raced and hour long worcs race in havasu and the bike worked great. To me it corners pretty good but it was also pretty sandy. All in all get the linkage spend the money revalving the stock suspension get a pipe and reeds and you’re dialed. Great feeling bike
3/29/2021 7:36am
I have a couple years on my 2007 KX250. Forks and shock were revalved and sprung for my weight by A1 in Atlanta. The revalved suspension helped a bit, but the bike still wants to climb out of ruts and just does not corner well at all.

I tried the PC links, but I'm tall and just didn't like how it made the bike feel. I didn't notice a huge improvement either. The blue Applied Racing clamps on my bike now are stock offset, I wish I could have got them in a different offset but I was sure the PC link would do it.

Now I want to try actual 22mm offset clamps. This is one of the more frustrating things about my bike, everything else is perfect.

This thread on TT says that 2002 KX250 clamps are 22mm offset and the right size for stock 2007 legs.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1201197-the-best-fix-for-the-05-07…

I can't find anyone who still makes 22mm offset triple clamps for 2007 KX250 either.

Skerby
3/29/2021 8:06am
Who else thinks this was possibly the greatest looking stock mx bike ever produced? As time goes on i think it looks better and better, the plastics are just so clean.
TFerrell311
3/29/2021 1:13pm
1. A kit suspension
2. Wider pegs
3. Procircuit linkage
4. Lowered subframe
5. Race gas

Thank me later!

I have some ride engineering 22mm offset clamps for 250/450 48mm kyb forks if you want to upgrade the front end

BikePilot
4/2/2021 10:47pm
Awesome bikes. Fill it up with 110 and ride!

Post a reply to: 2006 KX250 Best mods?

The Latest