2005 Yamaha yz125 triple clamp suggestions

jmolinaro19
I have a 05 yz125 I'm starting to build and I'd like to get a set of triple clamps for it. I'm looking at the ride engineering setup but open to suggestions and what others have used on their builds in the past. I'm looking for a good set, not particular to a certain brand really as long as they work good. I've seen people use luxon and xtrig but I haven't been able to find any besides the ride engineering that will fit the 125. What are people using for aftermarket triples out there? For reference I'm using the stock 2005 yz125 forks. Any recommendations on triples and bar clamp setups are greatly appreciated.
|
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
10/12/2021 6:52am
I have a 05 yz125 I'm starting to build and I'd like to get a set of triple clamps for it. I'm looking at the ride...
I have a 05 yz125 I'm starting to build and I'd like to get a set of triple clamps for it. I'm looking at the ride engineering setup but open to suggestions and what others have used on their builds in the past. I'm looking for a good set, not particular to a certain brand really as long as they work good. I've seen people use luxon and xtrig but I haven't been able to find any besides the ride engineering that will fit the 125. What are people using for aftermarket triples out there? For reference I'm using the stock 2005 yz125 forks. Any recommendations on triples and bar clamp setups are greatly appreciated.
The 2005 bike is a weird one. They used a fork tube span of 190mm, but in 2006 they increased that to 192mm with the SSS forks. The newer fork made up for that 2mm in the lugs, so the axle and wheels are the same. So the triple clamps are different between the 2005 and 2006. You have a couple options here:

1) Get a set of clamps for the 2005 model and be done with it. Unfortunately, your clamp options here are limited.

2) Get a set of 2006+ clamps and run it. The wheel will be off center by 1mm and the axle won't quite fit up "correct", but it will work.

3) Get a set of 2006+ clamps and add some 1mm spacers to your wheels and brake caliper to make it all line up correctly again. That makes maintenance a pain, but it works.

4) Take this as an opportunity to upgrade to SSS forks and get 2006+ triples.

#4 is the preferred option, but more pricey, obviously. But it would be a much better performance mod than the swingarm swap you're contemplating in another thread (which also is a good mod, just not nearly this good!)

Note that you can get SSS forks for the four strokes, but the clamps are different. Four strokes use forks with a 54mm clamp diameter on the top clamps where the two strokes use 56mm. The steering stem lengths are different for each bike too. If you end up getting some other forks, just post up what they are and I can advise what triple clamp configuration you'll need to make it all work.
jmolinaro19
10/12/2021 8:47am
Luxon MX wrote:
The 2005 bike is a weird one. They used a fork tube span of 190mm, but in 2006 they increased that to 192mm with the SSS...
The 2005 bike is a weird one. They used a fork tube span of 190mm, but in 2006 they increased that to 192mm with the SSS forks. The newer fork made up for that 2mm in the lugs, so the axle and wheels are the same. So the triple clamps are different between the 2005 and 2006. You have a couple options here:

1) Get a set of clamps for the 2005 model and be done with it. Unfortunately, your clamp options here are limited.

2) Get a set of 2006+ clamps and run it. The wheel will be off center by 1mm and the axle won't quite fit up "correct", but it will work.

3) Get a set of 2006+ clamps and add some 1mm spacers to your wheels and brake caliper to make it all line up correctly again. That makes maintenance a pain, but it works.

4) Take this as an opportunity to upgrade to SSS forks and get 2006+ triples.

#4 is the preferred option, but more pricey, obviously. But it would be a much better performance mod than the swingarm swap you're contemplating in another thread (which also is a good mod, just not nearly this good!)

Note that you can get SSS forks for the four strokes, but the clamps are different. Four strokes use forks with a 54mm clamp diameter on the top clamps where the two strokes use 56mm. The steering stem lengths are different for each bike too. If you end up getting some other forks, just post up what they are and I can advise what triple clamp configuration you'll need to make it all work.
Thanks for the advice man yeah I'll start looking into the 06+ forks. Rather spend the money on suspension than a swingarm for sure.

Post a reply to: 2005 Yamaha yz125 triple clamp suggestions

The Latest